Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum

Thread: EU Court bans stem cell patents

Satyavrata Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 73.0%

Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic

1 members found this post helpful.

Thumbs down EU Court bans stem cell patents

Nature News: European court bans patents based on embryonic stem cells

Quote Originally Posted by Nature
    Procedures that involve human embryonic stem cells cannot be patented, the European Court of Justice declared today.

Oliver Brüstle, director of the Institute of Reconstructive Neurobiology at the University of Bonn, Germany, who had a patent on a method for generating neurons from human embryonic stem cells rejected by the court, called the ruling "the worst possible outcome", and "a disaster for Europe".

He and other scientists worry that the ruling will cause European companies and scientists to miss out on commercial applications for embryonic-stem-cell research.
    I understand the ethics that the court wants to apply by forcing all stem cell discoveries to be released in the public domain. However the judges failed to grasp how strong a financial incentive patents are for scientists. I agree with Nature that this will drive many researchers out of Europe, and that is a real pity. If the Republicans were to win the next election in the US, they could re-instigate the ban on stem cell research, like under G.W. Bush. This would be a disaster for the Western world, giving a serious edge to countries like China.
    My book selection---Follow me on Facebook and Twitter --- My profile on Academia.edu and on ResearchGate ----Check Wa-pedia's Japan Guide
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

aimless wanderer Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 277
    Overall activity: 0%

Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo View Post
    Nature News: European court bans patents based on embryonic stem cells

I understand the ethics that the court wants to apply by forcing all stem cell discoveries to be released in the public domain. However the judges failed to grasp how strong a financial incentive patents are for scientists. I agree with Nature that this will drive many researchers out of Europe, and that is a real pity. If the Republicans were to win the next election in the US, they could re-instigate the ban on stem cell research, like under G.W. Bush. This would be a disaster for the Western world, giving a serious edge to countries like China.
    I just saw the interview with Brüstle on TV a few minutes ago, and these thoughts were exactly mine, too!