Dr Doug McDonald BGA analysis results

My ancestry is largely English with a little Welsh and Scots at great-great grandparent level. Here are my results, which contain a mysterious and fascinating eastern element.[FONT=Times New Roman,serif]Most likely fit is 91.7% (+- 1.7%) Europe (all Western Europe)[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif]and 0.6% (+- 1.9%) Europe (various subcontinents)[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif]which is 92.3% total Europe[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif]and 0.1% (+- 0.1%) E. Asia (various subcontinents)[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif]and 7.6% (+- 0.3%) Mideast (all Caucasus Area)[/FONT]
My green spot is floating around off the coast of East Anglia!

Thanks for sharing Mercia. I wonder if Doug changed something in his analysis, since your Mideast is fairly high compared to other English results I saw time ago. Maybe you'd like to try Dodecad or Eurogenes too, they do an exellent work.

Thanks for the advice regarding Dodecad and Eurogenes. I've checked my 23 and Me data with Eurogenes and my Caucasian component is between 7-8%, depending on the data set it is compared with. I'm amazed at how detailed the chromosome painting is and I'm looking forward to using this analysis tool again.

This is what he told me. I've done some of the other admixture things and the usually have some kind of mix between European populations. When he says "English" does that exclude Scottish and welsh and Irish? I'm fairly certain I have these in my ancestry, is there a better test to determine between British groups?

"Most likely fit is 100% English (Western Europe)
which is 100% total Europe
The location error = 0.011242 with 1 group

The following are possible populations,
most likely at the top:

The following are possible population sets and their fractions,
most likely at the top
English= 1.000

but it is clear that you do have some amount of more Continental European,
not a lot."

I had mine done recently

Most likely fit is 100% Europe (various subcontinents)
most likely at the top
English= 0.341 Tuscan= 0.659 or
French= 0.493 Tuscan= 0.507 or
Irish= 0.271 Tuscan= 0.729 or

Spain= 0.522 Romania= 0.478 or
Hungary= 0.239 Italian= 0.761

Doug plotted me on the french-italian border basically around Nice

I preume tuscan means North_Italian same as FTDNA indicates

I had mine done recently

Most likely fit is 100% Europe (various subcontinents)
most likely at the top
English= 0.341 Tuscan= 0.659 or
French= 0.493 Tuscan= 0.507 or
Irish= 0.271 Tuscan= 0.729 or

Spain= 0.522 Romania= 0.478 or
Hungary= 0.239 Italian= 0.761

Doug plotted me on the french-italian border basically around Nice

I preume tuscan means North_Italian same as FTDNA indicates

Doug confirm in his tests, that tuscan is central italy and Italian is North-italy

H3Gszz6IEOTKAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

I came out 100% Western Euro (all Spain)

Love to get in on this but where do you go on 23andme to get the raw genome data?

Love to get in on this but where do you go on 23andme to get the raw genome data?
Account ---> Browse Raw Data ---> Download Raw Data

You'd need full genome for McDonald. Not YDNA or MtDNA.

Here is mine:

Most likely fit is 84.4% (+- 13.6%) Europe (all Western Europe)

and 15.6% (+- 13.6%) Europe (various subcontinents)
which is 100% total Europe

most likely at the top
English= 0.782 Tuscan= 0.218 or
French= 0.620 English= 0.380 or
English= 0.751 Italian= 0.249 or
French= 0.795 Irish= 0.205 or
French= 0.899 Lithuani= 0.101 or
Irish= 0.629 Tuscan= 0.371
Second most likely fit is 88.7% (+- 1.7%) Europe (all Western Europe)
and 11.3% (+- 1.7%) Mideast (various subcontinents)

most likely at the top
English= 0.897 Druze= 0.103 or
English= 0.853 Jewish= 0.147 or
English= 0.891 Armenian= 0.109 or
English= 0.879 Cypriot= 0.121 or
English= 0.909 Palestin= 0.091 or
English= 0.894 Georgian= 0.106

its English with something else from SE of there. Its unusual, but
in this case I actually suspect that Adygei/Armenian/Georgian might just
POSSIBLY be correct. Its not Jewish.

I recently sent my raw genome data from 23andMe to Dr Doug McDonald for his BGA analysis. My paper ancestry is largely English with an emphasis upon Yorkshire and Suffolk. I have a substantial Norman ancestry too in terms of numbers of Norman-derived surnames in my family tree and from pedigrees and paper-trails.

The results were remarkably accurate. His PCA scattergram placed me firmly within the English cluster, with a small pull towards northern France which probably reflects this Norman ancestry.

Would other posters care to exchange their McDonald analysis results and experiences? I would welcome them.

My matrilineal grandfather's Y-DNA line goes back to Suffolk as well... I've read that this is one of the most germanic-leaning regions in England.

"When he says "English" does that exclude Scottish and welsh and Irish?"

This is something I would also really like to know, and I can't seem to find a definitive answer.. does the category "English" mean "British" (Scots, Welsh, English) or does it just mean English?
To further confuse me my results came in as English 97%, but the green dot on my map was clearly covering Wales, and the red dot covering North Wales and NW England...
I went into this DNA stuff looking for more answers about ancestry and I came out with a hundred times more questions about what the ancestry data means!

This thread has been viewed 48395 times.

Back