Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Cornwall: King Artur's Land (Photos)

  1. #1
    Passione Mediterranea julia90's Avatar
    Join Date
    24-09-10
    Location
    Florence-Prato
    Posts
    1,134


    Ethnic group
    Tuscan-Italian-(European)
    Country: Italy



    2 members found this post helpful.

    Cornwall: King Artur's Land (Photos)
















  2. #2
    Great Adventurer sparkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    17-02-11
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,251

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    I2c1 PF3892+ (Swiss)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U4a (Cornish)

    Ethnic group
    3/4 Colonial American, 1/8 Cornish, 1/8 Welsh
    Country: USA - California



    Thanks for these, Julia, I love Cornwall. My matrilineal ancestors come from St. Agnes, very beautiful area.

  3. #3
    Elite member Antigone's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-02-11
    Posts
    449


    Country: Greece



    Gorgeous photos but, unfortunately Arthur is just a fairy tale. If he did actually exist (even though there is no proof) I think Devonshire or even the Welsh may have something to say as to who he belonged to.

  4. #4
    Great Adventurer sparkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    17-02-11
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,251

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    I2c1 PF3892+ (Swiss)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U4a (Cornish)

    Ethnic group
    3/4 Colonial American, 1/8 Cornish, 1/8 Welsh
    Country: USA - California



    Quote Originally Posted by Antigone View Post
    Gorgeous photos but, unfortunately Arthur is just a fairy tale. If he did actually exist (even though there is no proof) I think Devonshire or even the Welsh may have something to say as to who he belonged to.
    If Arthur existed (he didn't) he would have lived during a time when Dumnonia was united, so if he was Dumnonian, Cornwall and Devon (and probably Somerset and Dorset, or at least parts of them) would have to share.

    Cornwall, though, does have the strongest claim to being the successor state to Dumnonia, as it was never incorporated into Wessex without special autonomy like Devon was.

  5. #5
    Elite member Asturrulumbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-09-11
    Location
    Kingston, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    210


    Country: Mexico



    Quote Originally Posted by sparkey View Post
    If Arthur existed (he didn't) he would have lived during a time when Dumnonia was united, so if he was Dumnonian, Cornwall and Devon (and probably Somerset and Dorset, or at least parts of them) would have to share.

    Cornwall, though, does have the strongest claim to being the successor state to Dumnonia, as it was never incorporated into Wessex without special autonomy like Devon was.
    Oh, of course Arthur existed, he just exists in the realm of mythology rather than that of history, which is great, because mythological characters are much more real than historical ones in my opinion (who wants a history book instead of a fairy story?)... One of the great peculiarities of modern society is drawing a distinction between "existence" and "non-existence"

  6. #6
    Regular Member Cambrius (The Red)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    27-06-09
    Posts
    2,640

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b (RL-21*)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H3

    Ethnic group
    Gallaecian Celtic
    Country: USA - Ohio



    Isn't it thought that King Arthur's court was in Wales?

  7. #7
    Elite member Antigone's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-02-11
    Posts
    449


    Country: Greece



    Quote Originally Posted by Asturrulumbo View Post
    Oh, of course Arthur existed, he just exists in the realm of mythology rather than that of history, which is great, because mythological characters are much more real than historical ones in my opinion (who wants a history book instead of a fairy story?)... One of the great peculiarities of modern society is drawing a distinction between "existence" and "non-existence"
    Mmm, a thought provoking reply Asturrulumbo. Although, I for one would much prefer a history book instead of mythology and fairy tales as I don't find what was not real interesting at all. But all that is merely personal preference.

    I like a distinction between existance and non-existance also but I'd add that... one of the great peculiarities of modern society is the necessity (by some) to force mythological figures into the realms of factual history. Both the Arthur and Jesus myths are very good examples of the phenonomen.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    13-11-09
    Posts
    110


    Country: UK - Scotland



    Oh, come on! Everyone knows King Arthur was Scottish!

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    07-11-11
    Posts
    3


    Country: United Kingdom



    Wow, this is amazing. Who said England doesn't have nice beaches?

  10. #10
    Great Adventurer sparkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    17-02-11
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,251

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    I2c1 PF3892+ (Swiss)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U4a (Cornish)

    Ethnic group
    3/4 Colonial American, 1/8 Cornish, 1/8 Welsh
    Country: USA - California



    Quote Originally Posted by BadooTroll View Post
    Wow, this is amazing. Who said England doesn't have nice beaches?
    The Cornish.

  11. #11
    Elite member Cimmerianbloke's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-06-11
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    332


    Ethnic group
    Latin-Germanic
    Country: Germany - Berlin



    Great pics indeed, it shows The UK still has a long way to go to promote the different regions. Most Europeans shrink the UK to london, Liverpool, Manchester and somewhere in-between, the Lake District.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    09-03-12
    Posts
    12


    Country: United Kingdom



    Nice one fellow!!!

Similar Threads

  1. Midnight Sun: between Lights and Colours (Photos)
    By julia90 in forum Scandinavia & Finland
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 17-11-19, 00:48
  2. Sea in Montenegro (Photos)
    By julia90 in forum Eastern Europe
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-01-15, 22:56
  3. Germany - Land of culture
    By Reinaert in forum European Culture & History
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02-09-11, 23:12
  4. Cornwall: National history and myth
    By sparkey in forum European Culture & History
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-03-11, 18:45

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •