Origin of mtDNA Haplogroup V in Cantabria, Northern Spain?

esker1970

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Magdalenian
Y-DNA haplogroup
J1
mtDNA haplogroup
V
I recent red a paper on the possibility of Cantabria, Northern Spain being the birthplace of mtDNA haplogroup V around the LGM. If this is the case it makes sense to say that the paintings of many Cantabria Caves (e.g. Altamira, El Castillo, etc) were the main work of haplogroup V and probably H1 and H3.

This makes sense as my birthplace and maternial leneage are from Tras-os-Montes, a province in NE Portugal that borders the Spanish provinces of Galicia and Leon. It is only a few hours from Cantabria.

This forum will not allow me to post a link but the article’s title is:

Maca-Meyer et al., 2003. Y Chromosome and Mitochondrial DNA Characterization of Pasiegos, a Human Isolate from Cantabria (Spain).

Any ideas or comments?

Thank you.

Haplogroup V arrived in Iberia with haplogroup H and is presumed to have waited out the LGM as haplogroup H did. When the ice age ended, the Haplogroup H bearing women would come to dominate most of the female lineages in the European peninsula, from Iberia to Scandinavia and the Balkans it is found in no less than 40 to 60% of women in all European ethnic groups. Haplogroup V on the other hand (which is still found at low trace frequencies in Iberia where it arrived with H) moved northward to extreme northern Scandinavia ( extreme north of Norway and Sweden, Finland) where it dominates in the indigenous Sami people. Why they choose to move from Iberia to Scandinavia is beyond me, or what environmental factors forced them to do so, but this is how it ended up whereas their H female "cousins" came to matrilineal lay dominate Europe.

I recent red a paper on the possibility of Cantabria, Northern Spain being the birthplace of mtDNA haplogroup V around the LGM.

I think it came from Spain.

This thread has been viewed 13687 times.

Back