• North Africa (Berbers)

Votes: 18 36.0%
  • Levantines (Syrians, Lebanese)

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • Armenians/Georgians

Votes: 3 6.0%

• Total voters
oreo cookie
I have seen very few Catalans with any sort of Berber influence, but parts of Portugal and southwestern Spain they are more evident.

Not at all.

Six votes for Berbers? LOL! Berbers are genetically distant from Iberians in a huge, huge way. In all autosomal DNA (impacts phenotype substantially) research Iberians cluster with on another and with or between French and Northern Italians. Some people need to educate themselves.

Six votes for Berbers? LOL! Berbers are genetically distant from Iberians in a huge, huge way. In all autosomal DNA (impacts phenotype substantially) research Iberians cluster with on another and with or between French and Northern Italians. Some people need to educate themselves.

Well, the question of phenotype overlap, although related to the question of autosomal overlap, is more subjective than it is. So if someone sees a Berber and thinks "Iberian," then the autosomal data doesn't directly contradict that. (Of course, you're right about the direct impact of one on the other.)

That said, Berber is an odd answer, anyway. I suspect that it may reflect a typical confirmation bias about the heritage of Iberia. Does anybody seriously look at Zidane and mistake him for a Spaniard? Maybe someone like Ahmed Aboutaleb could be mistaken for a Spaniard, but even that's a stretch.

There are variations between individual and regionals Spaniards, a litlle more than among Portugueses - But the differences are far more evident among Italians and italian regions - Italy can not be considered as a whole -
sure among the autosomals someones are envolved into the individual EXTERNAL VISIBLE phenotypes (and collective ones, even if these last are a matter of discussion) but not all the autosomals - some of them are of different DEEPTH (time) in the species derivations and some external phenotypes (and the autosomals conditioning them) can link people when internal* others separate these people - the autosomals studies have to be pursued further.
* phenotype is the result of genotype + others influences and context, and can be the presence or not of a health defect or an organic fonction, not allways a visible trait, I think -
to me at an external point of view genuine North Italians present very often phénotipycal features that link them more to eastern Frenchmen or to Central Europe people than to Iberian as a whole (more bracycephalic, lighter of pigmentation, heavier bodied etc...) even if it is not to hard to find some individuals very close to Iberians: individuals, NOT the means

MOESAN
There are variations between individual and regionals Spaniards

For we do not notice them. When we go to a meeting, travel, meetings and other Spanish and there are different regions, we asked where are you? by appearance and not hear a regional accent never know what region is this, the other or that.

Southern West French Aquitaine, Camargue etc.., Apparently Northern Italians by genetic, even if going by looks they don't strike me as looking similar to northern italians, i would say also Sardinians because they are south western too, but then again sardinains are quite genetically isolated from all populations.

I guess those Canarians admixed with guanche (which can't be considered genetically Iberians) would overlap with some extreme southern italians or Malteses.

I voted the French, but this means nothing because France is phenotipe-wise very diverse, much more than Spain. You can find from Spanish looking people to other ones who may pass for a Dutch or a Scandinavian. Spaniards are closer to Southern French.

nº 1 Burgos.
nº2 Madrid.
nº3 Barcelona.
nº4 Madrid (Gipsy)
nº5 Cuenca.
nº6 Islas Canarias.
gh12_galeria_landscape.jpg

nº7 Jerez de La Frontera (Cádiz)
nº8 Alicante
nº9 Valladolid.
nº10 Euskadi.
nº11 Euskadi.
nº12 Zaragoza.
nº13 Huelva (Father Portugal, mother Italia)
nº14 Valencia (Philipines Origen)
nº15 Castilla
nº16 Barcelona.

repesca_TL5IMA20120327_0087_6.jpg

sergio_sindia_n-365xXx80.jpg

Sevilla (both)

David_142048.jpg

Salamanca.

In these multiple examples can be seen that the Iberians roughly maintain its own identity and it is difficult to overlap them with others, while another may overlap with others, is the same but not the same.

I pretty much agree. There is some overlap with N. Italians but it's not dramatic.

Do you guys think there is a noticeable phenotypic difference between Spaniards and Portuguese?

Portuguese people tend to be darker than Spaniards and more dolicocephalic.

Gascons, Languedoc, Midi-Pyreneés, some Italians, and that's about it. That's where the most consistent overlap is.

Gascons, Languedoc, Midi-Pyreneés, some Italians, and that's about it. That's where the most consistent overlap is.

provence, liguria .
question - what is an Iberian.........ancient term

sub-Saharan African, North African Berbers, and Egyptians. They're the most African-muddled group of Europeans.

British, Irish, French , Italians, Celtic Europe predominantly and very few but some North African/middle eastern countries. 75% of Spanish on a national level are R1b which means VERY high levels and Portugal like 60% there's more E and J2 in Portugal but overall it is very R1b also.

Correction, Iberia doesn't overlap with middle eastern/north African NATIONS but there is some J2 and E found at relatively low frequencies in Iberian peninsula

Correction, Iberia doesn't overlap with middle eastern/north African NATIONS but there is some J2 and E found at relatively low frequencies in Iberian peninsula

Look here's a low frequency in the Iberian Peninsula.

This thread has been viewed 40701 times.

Back