Politics Is the Right, right?

edao

Elite member
Reaction score
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1b
mtDNA haplogroup
H
More specifically is the concept of minimal government investment and interference in the economy now the only way forward for the West? If we think about what's going on with countries like Italy, they are changing their democratically elected governments to please markets, (markets simply representing the interests of the rich). Governments all over Europe are making changes to political policy based on the demands of private rich investors because of their dependence on their financial backing. In order to regain political independence and democracy does the public sector need to be banished from Western economies?

------------------------------

Right-wing libertarianism
(sometimes known as libertarian conservatism or conservative libertarianism) supports a decentralized economy based on economic freedom, and advocates policies such as property rights, free markets and free trade. source

In politics, Right, right-wing and rightist generally refer to support for a hierarchical society justified on the basis of an appeal to natural law or tradition.To varying degrees, the Right rejects the egalitarian objectives of left-wing politics, claiming that the imposition of equality is detrimental to society.The terms Right and Left were coined during the French Revolution, referring to seating arrangements in parliament; those who sat on the right supported preserving the institutions of the Ancien Régime (the monarchy, the aristocracy and the established church).Use of the term "Right" became more prominent after the second restoration of the French monarchy in 1815 with the Ultra-royalists.Right-wing politics is a more loosely defined term than left-wing politics, because it largely developed as a response to its leftist counterpart. source

There are different kinds of right-wing ideology, and I see some as more correct than others.

Privatization can help issues like budgetary concerns and overspending on pensions, underused services, etc. So I often support privatization, but the concern is cronyism and corporate favoritism.

Deregulation can also be a good thing, encouraging investment, entrepreneurship, and private spending. The trouble is when it is coupled with bailout guarantees and lax fraud protection.

Working against income redistribution and higher income tax is also often a good way to go, as lower/less graduated income taxes increases investment, improves fiscal stability, and encourages money to stay in the country or market with lower taxes. One problem is failing to balance budgets in the name of lower income taxes, without really addressing the other side of the budget equation.

So, is the Right right? Usually not. Usually they're a bunch of corporate-pandering slimeballs who don't have real solutions, who often get elected via things like xenophobia rather than actual solutions. I see this in both Europe and America. Yet, I believe that the best solutions available to current problems would generally be thought of as "right-wing."

I would normally see myself more centre left but the recent crisis has challenged my ideas on the governments role in the economy. I think ideas of being left or right are increasing irrelevant in a globalised economy.

@sparkey what's you opinion of the situation in Italy where leaders are deposed on economic rather than democratic terms?
I don't doubt that its probably a show rather than any real release of power by Berlusconi. He still sits in parliament and is still leader of his party as I'm aware, no doubt he shouts jump and Monti asks how high? Plus Super Mario can look like the bad economist imposing cuts on the Italian people for Belusconi the man of the people to step in down the line.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrist

In my view right wing's approach to things is less ideological than in the case of left wing and more empirical-based. That's why it leads to better results in practice. For example, why wanting people to be equal if we are born unequal due to different DNA heritage? There will always be more gifted people who deserve earning more money than the less capable ones. If everybody were paid the same then why working harder if you won't get any reward? Egualitarianism thus leads to economical collapse like in the case of the URSS, or to a lesser extent the EU (not as left-wing dominated like URSS, but enough to become a mess anyways). I'm glad that on the other hand the so called communists in China are adopting common sense and de-ideologized views , which leads to more prosperity and progress. So I agree, the right is right overall. Left wing also is useful so societies don't forget that we all , despite our differences, are human and deserve dignity and certain standard of living to develop ourselves as persons.

the moder-day of societies is not if right or left is right,

the modern days problem is how transparent and justice is the system,

I mean politicians who support bankers or the oposite, thieves who do not go to prison
big cost works, exageration in numbers, secret loans etc,

the nomen-clatura of modern systems is not afraid people, so they run to do what-ever with politicians who sold their souls and 'technocrats' who act like dictators, and support bankers profit,

the modern problem of society is that money do not run the market and are ideal,
the sum of money is not equal withe sum of money that exist as ideal money in papers,

the big problem is the media affect opinion and how much truth they show,

Last edited:
In my view right wing's approach to things is less ideological than in the case of left wing and more empirical-based. That's why it leads to better results in practice. For example, why wanting people to be equal if we are born unequal due to different DNA heritage? There will always be more gifted people who deserve earning more money than the less capable ones. If everybody were paid the same then why working harder if you won't get any reward.

I think the equality issue has become misinterpreted somewhere along the way. Imo, equality does not mean that everyone has to be equal according to individual or personal ability or talent, that is an impossiblity. Equality is that every person, whatever his/her ability, gender or ethnicity, is equal under the law and has an equal right to justice (or to be punished), that every person has equal opportunity for employment and advancement according to their abilities, every person has the equal right to free speech, equal right to medical care and education etc. And not, as in the past, where some people were more equal than others simply because of the race or sex a person happened to be or the social class a person was born into.

Back on topic, I don't think either left nor right is necessarily right or wrong, they both have advantages and disadvantages in their policies. Personally, I usually sit in the middle and will move either way according to who I think is correct on the particular issue at that particular time.

But I do think that both left and right need eachother and are both equally necessary to create a healthy balance. Rather like different sides of the same coin, together they create the whole. The right cannot exist without the left and vise versa, balance is ever the key. It is when extremism (both left or right) come into the mix that trouble is created.

This thread has been viewed 7510 times.

Back