Latin & Greek words of non-Indo-European origin

Zέυς & Deus > Theos

Ζεύνυσος , Ζώνυσος & Δεύνυσος , Διόνυσος

Ζ,ζ = dz

Probably DIAS (dhia=goat) is a term to refer to the sacred symbol of Pagan ''religion'', which was always depicted as half-goat half-human like Pan , Baphomet etc, and was demonized from Orthodox church beginning of 11th century.

upload image on internet

I do not know what are you talking about,

Διας as Deus as Dio etc means Divine not goat,

in fact the Albanian dhia sounds very strange,
considering the αιγα get goat aiwa IE

as for Διας
Ζευς Dias Ζεus = Justice God
Ξενιος Ζεnιος Διας = Hospitality and social aproach God.
so simple

I do not know what are you talking about,

Διας as Deus as Dio etc means Divine not goat,

in fact the Albanian dhia sounds very strange,
considering the αιγα get goat aiwa IE

as for Διας
Ζευς Dias Ζεus = Justice God
Ξενιος Ζεnιος Διας = Hospitality and social aproach God.
so simple

The etymology of Ζεύς, Δίας, is related to his atributes as God of "bright sky"= Day & Sun, lightning, and thunder.
Most likely in Pelasgian mythology, he was the Sun God or Day God.
The root of his name is either Di(Dias) or Ze(Zeus, Zenos, Zanos)
In Albanian, the first variant of his name describes his light/lighting attributes Di(as)= di-te(day), Di-ell(sun), Dri-te(light)

The second version of his name Ze(Zeus, Zenos, Zanos), is most likely related to the "thunder" attribute, which not coincidentally is 100 % the same to Albanian word for sound ze:

ze--sound(in Tosk dialect), zan---sound(geg dialect).

The etymology of Ζεύς, Δίας, is related to his atributes as God of "bright sky"= Day & Sun, lightning, and thunder.
Most likely in Pelasgian mythology, he was the Sun God or Day God.
The root of his name is either Di(Dias) or Ze(Zeus, Zenos, Zanos)
In Albanian, the first variant of his name describes his light/lighting attributes Di(as)= di-te(day), Di-ell(sun), Dri-te(light)

The second version of his name Ze(Zeus, Zenos, Zanos), is most likely related to the "thunder" attribute, which not coincidentally is 100 % the same to Albanian word for sound ze:

ze--sound(in Tosk dialect), zan---sound(geg dialect).

I really doupt,

More words (mostly vocabulary relating to the Mediterranean climate) :

- angelus (ange, angelo) : perhaps from Semitic or another non-IE Middle-Eastern language
- cicada (cigale, cicala) : not a native Latin word; perhaps a loan-word from a lost Mediterranean language.
- cucumerem (concombre, -) : perhaps from a pre-Italic Mediterranean language
Hi, Maciamo,
I like your idea of sifting words which are not of IE. origin, but (see my: What is Indo-European?) I don't accept the phonological dictionary of IE. Roots. So, for you Lat. Angelus is not IE. Actually, Angelus is < Gr. Aggelos [pronounced: Angelos], which means "messenger". They share the root "angel-"...
Likewise, your Lat. Manducare was not IE., but consider:
Gr. Mastax = mouth
Gr. Mastarizo [mastar-iz-o] (= to eat as a toothless man does; to suck, as a baby does). This gave rise to a Magna-Graecian (my native dialect) word: mastiki`u [< *mastikeuo, reiterative] which is used to mean "to chew".
Furthermore,
Mastarizo may have undergone this corruption: > Mas-tar- >Man-tar > Fr. Man-jar... ; MG. Man-ciar; It.Man-giar(e).

More words (mostly vocabulary relating to the Mediterranean climate) :

Likewise, your Lat. Manducare was not IE., but consider:
Gr. Mastax = mouth
Gr. Mastarizo [mastar-iz-o] (= to eat as a toothless man does; to suck, as a baby does). This gave rise to a Magna-Graecian (my native dialect) word: mastiki`u [< *mastikeuo, reiterative] which is used to mean "to chew".
Furthermore,
Mastarizo may have undergone this corruption: > Mas-tar- >Man-tar > Fr. Man-jar... ; MG. Man-ciar; It.Man-giar(e).

You need to refrain your fantasy about this "corruption" mastar-mantar-manjar-mangiare, not only because the proposed sound transformation s-n and t-g, is impossible and never occurs, but also it's already been explained that 'mangiare' is an empiric Latin compound word which clearly borrows its meaning from the Albanian expression : me (h)anger= to eat .
So does the English word hungry or hunger, which is slightly different in its semantics, but the essence is the same: the discomfort caused by the desire to eat
And this is bottom line.

:
Gr. Mastax = mouth
Furthermore,

And by the way, forget about the precipitant suffix in the word 'mast-ication'. This is the same as the French masch-er, which is again the Albanian me [h]ash(geg)=të hash(tosk)=to eat (eng) where aspirated h, is lost among 2 vowels, followed by a vowel treatment ea--->a

- persona (from etruscan): person
- antenna (from estruscan *antithemna ): pole, antenna
- istrione (from estrucan *istrio ): actor
- arena (from estruscan) : arena
- vernacolo (from etruscan) : idiom, dialect

Interessante. Ce ne sono ancora tanti e qui è impossibile riportarli tutti. Mi ricordo che in uno studio che mi impegnava trovai il dendronimo lat. alnus (< alsnos) che ha corrispondenti in alcune lingue i.e. europee ma non in quelle asiatiche (indo-iranico). Da qui un bravo studioso slavo (Matasovic, non mi ricordo il paese) arguì che probabilmente nell'Europa occidentale gli Indoeuropei trovarono gente che chiamava l'ontano con parole a base *als-. E di esempi farne tanti, soprattutto nel campo agrario-forestale, dell'alpeggio, ecc.

It was long ago I had not read this thread. I think some people here have by far too much imagination. Zeus is the leader, perhaps, spite I respect his huge work of reconstructions.

This thread has been viewed 98455 times.

Back