23andMe Is 23andme the most accurate DNA testing company?

Ok, but it comes out to be more or less the same, so the main difference is the mensual billing. Anyways, I don't have money right now, perhaps one day I consider the option.

Again, thank you.

Dorianfinder, here is a non-exhaustive list of SNP's tested by FTDNA's Family Finder (don't forget to turn the pages, there are over 6000 of them) that potentially carry medical information. There are or surely will be thousands more, as new studies constantly find new associations between SNP's and medical conditions. It's not because an SNP has no clear medical relevance today that it won't have one tomorrow. Besides, only a small fraction of all known medical associations are found on sites like SNPedia. Companies like 23andMe have a huge stock of medical SNP's that they are leaking slowly every month to keep customer subscriptions.

I checked a few SNP's from 23andMe health report to see if they were included on the FTDNA FF v2 chip, and many actually are. It's not just SNP's that give slight increase to have a disease, but actual genetic diseases like G6PD Deficiency are tested by the FF v1 and v2 too. The most ironic of all is that the dreadful mutation for Huntington's Disease, which is not tested by 23andMe nor deCODEme, is on the FTDNA2 chip ! As I said above, it's not because it's not in the report you get that the test doesn't carry medical information. If you don't want to know, just don't check.

Thank you both Dorianfinder and Maciamo for your debate. It helps me to ask these questions for myself as I'm considering both companies. Question for Maciamo if you please: how many markers did you test for in both Y and mtDNA tests at FTDNA?

Regarding medical genetics, it's true some diseases are caused by a single gene (and SNP), most diseases are caused by a complex gene network taking epigenetics variables into considerations. For example, diets and exercises can stop gene(s) from expressing themselves. In the Nova "Cracking your genes" (2012), Francis Collins, head of NIH, mentions he got his DNA tests from 3 companies. 23andme and Navigenics were shown in the video. In the case of type 2 diabetes, the 3 companies agree he has substantially higher risk for type 2 diabetes. But for prostate cancer, one company said he has higher than average risk, one said he has average risk, and the third said he has lower than average. What's going on? Companies often look at different parts of genes and make prediction based on incomplete information.

Cracking your genes (first aired in March 28, 2012 on PBS)
video.pbs.org/video/2215641935

I've been actively researching genealogy for some 15+ years now and have read a lot about genetic genealogy for at least 6 years now. I came across one distant paternal cousin (according to traditional genealogy) who did a Y-DNA test with 12 markers and from that I can gather the supposed I2a haplogroup with P37.2 marker.

I've been planning to do a test for myself for some time and I am now considering mostly 23andme.com. One thing that I am not clear about is how many markers do they test for when it comes to Y-DNA haplogroup? This somehow seems to be an elusive info to find. I am interested in both autosomal DNA info as well as deep subclade info for my haplogroup and 23andme.com seems to best match these two goals at the most reasonable price.

Any input is appreciated.

At 23andme you will not get YSTR marker table to compare with your cousin or anyone else...

At 23andme you will not get YSTR marker table to compare with your cousin or anyone else...
Is this really true? I've just found this where they say there is a raw data download from 23andme.
dna-explained.com/2012/09/01/23andme-16-days-door-to-results/
I had to strip the protocol part of the link, because the board would not let me post a real link before I reach 10 posts.

Also, is it possible to take autosomal DNA data from 23andme and import them somhere else in search of closer relatives? I would like to hear from someone who has used 23andme in recent months ideally.

Also, is it possible to take autosomal DNA data from 23andme and import them somhere else in search of closer relatives? I would like to hear from someone who has used 23andme in recent months ideally.

http://gedmatch.com/

Look for the upload from 23&me section on that page.

If you are interested in relative finding or admixture, GEDmatch is the holy grail.

Very informative discussion. Maciamo and Dorianfinder, don't take it personal guys.. It's just 2 companies.. You don't own them. Just to confirm if I get it right. From the discussion it appears that Geno 2.0 from the Genographic Project is completely redundant. Correct?

Very informative discussion. Maciamo and Dorianfinder, don't take it personal guys.. It's just 2 companies.. You don't own them. Just to confirm if I get it right. From the discussion it appears that Geno 2.0 from the Genographic Project is completely redundant. Correct?

I don't know where you got that idea from. We have not discussed Geno 2.0 in this thread since it was only launched in July 2012, i.e. 7 months after my discussion with Dorianfinder here.

Geno 2.0 is actually the best ancestry test provided by FTDNA at present. Before that, FTDNA tests were either STR and single SNP tests, which are long, tedious and expensive, or didn't test haplogroups at all (Family Finder). Geno 2.0 is the first comprehensive test for Y-DNA that doesn't require customers to select SNP's one by one, but tests large sections of the Y chromosome (as well as autosomal DNA). In that way, it is much more similar to the 23andMe test, but is still twice more expensive than 23andMe (199.95$ against 99$) and like the Family Finder it does not report medical information. The advantage of Geno 2.0 is that it was designed specifically with the aim of improving the Y-chromosomal phylogeny.

So personally I still prefer 23andMe because I think that the medical data is at least as important as the ancestry, but Geno 2.0 has already proved useful in identifying plenty of new SNP's for the Y-DNA phylogeny.

I tend to be a bit cynical about the way FTDNA sells its products. Everything seems to be designed to extract money from gullible or overly eager customers. The 1000 Genomes Project and its follow-ups (will) provide all the full Y-chromosomal sequence (50 million SNP's), which will make the 12,316 Y-SNP's of Geno 2.0 look like a joke. It wouldn't come as a shock to me if a company like FTDNA already had access to enough full Y-chromosomal sequences and knew which SNP's could be included in the future phylogeny. How else would they select 12,316 Y-SNPs (actually half, since over 6000 were already listed by the ISOGG tree before the test was released) out of 50 million and know that exactly these would be relevant for the phylogenetic tree ? Amazing luck ? I don't believe in that.

The strategy is to make amateur genetic genealogists feel like they are the ones making the discoveries and making them pay for the privilege. When a handful of new SNP's are added to the tree each month, these become available to order for customers who original took the STR test. Many will end up paying more than 199.95$ to test all the possible SNP's for which they could be positive. I never liked that kind of game. That's almost like gambling. It may be exciting, but you always lose money. Sometimes I feel that it is because of commercial companies like FTDNA that we don't have the much-awaited 1000$ whole genome sequencing yet. We were expecting it for 2011, and it doesn't look like it will be for this year or next year either. Of course that would be terrible business for the like of FTDNA. If the WGS is only 1000$, then how much for a whole Y-chromosomal + mtDNA sequence ? Under 100$ ?

23andMe announced the imminent release of the whole exome sequence for 999$ in September 2011. That is almost as good as the WGS for the purposes of population genetics or genetic genealogy. I wonder what is taking so long. Other companies like Otogenetics already lowered their price for the whole human exome to 698$. Too bad they don't provide the same kind of customer-friendly applications and reports as 23andMe.

Wow Maciamo. That's a wealth of information. Almost too much to digest.. You are right, I did not notice that the previous discussion was dated before the release of Geno 2.0. Actually I am a genetic epidemiologist, so I totally agree with your views regarding the 1000 genomes data, etc. It is indeed a (very profitable) game played by these companies at the momment, as I am sure they can lower the prices even further, but decide to do so very very gradually. I am new into genetic genealogy and I find it fascinating. I have still not tested my my DNA, which makes it even more exciting for me! Actually I have motivated a number of my students (~30) to take the test with me. Unlike me, they are more interested on the medical genetics part rather than the genealogy part, therefore we will have to go with 23andme. However, I really like the Geno 2.0 brand, as the Genographic Project is the reason I initially got interested in this field (I know it is receiving a lot of criticism in this site though). I also like FTDNA's country-specific projects. I am not sure if 23andme provide a similar service and actually I wanted to ask here whether someone can enter his/her results from 23andme into an FTDNA project. For Geno 2.0 I have read that it is definitely possible.

I also like FTDNA's country-specific projects. I am not sure if 23andme provide a similar service and actually I wanted to ask here whether someone can enter his/her results from 23andme into an FTDNA project. For Geno 2.0 I have read that it is definitely possible.

The data from 23andMe and Geno 2.0 is SNP-based, while the FTDNA projects are STR-based. The formats are therefore incompatible. I am surprised that you read that it was possible to use Geno 2.0 data for FTDNA Project. Where did you get that information ?

The data from 23andMe and Geno 2.0 is SNP-based, while the FTDNA projects are STR-based. The formats are therefore incompatible. I am surprised that you read that it was possible to use Geno 2.0 data for FTDNA Project. Where did you get that information ?

I think it's only working when you already have a FTDNA account and tested at least the 12 basic STRs which cost now 40$. If you transfer your Geno 2.0 results to FTDNA and you're a member of a project your SNPs will appear in the Results/SNP. With these SNPs the admins of the project can sort you to a more appropriate clade then having just the 12 STRs and the shorthand.

Is 23andme the most accurate DNA testing company?

Hi Max,
In my case I had tested with Genebase about 3 years ago and tested a couple of SNPs with them. Found out I was R1b the most common of the Y-DNA and I wanted to join projects that FTDNA offered and Genebase did not. I eventually retested with FTDNA and tested some more SNPs and found out I am R1b L2+,Z49+, and Z142+ (L20- and L196-) so far. I wish I had tested with FTDNA in the first place instead of wasting extra money. The U152 and subclades project is great especially with the maps and all.

But I may have a different goal than you. Sure, I would like to know about my Mother's side of the family but more interesting to me is my surname origin.

Also, all the testing companies are accurate but some of them test for far different allels than FTDNA and the comparisons are complicated when transferring to sites such as ysearch, etc. All in all I would say FTDNA is the place to go.

Comparing SNPs seem to be the most accurate way to find your origins and if they had the Geno 2.0 test when I first started, I would have done that one!

This thread has been viewed 51301 times.

Back