Robot, anyone?! New technological revolution is near.

LeBrok

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Citizen of the world
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1b Z2109
mtDNA haplogroup
H1c
Half a century ago, when first computers were created, people got very excited and envisioned year 2000 full of robots and flying cars. This is year 2011 cars are not flying, but they are comfy and fast, and we can take a plane for longer trips. No big deal here, but I really miss my robot. Where is my promised android to clean my house, cook for me, or even better, go and do my job?
In 1970-ties a big road bump showed in this futuristic vision. In an experiment with obstacle course researchers learned that it is extremely difficult for computers to recognize objects to avoid them. It took hours for computer to maneuver 10 feet of obstacle course, around few big objects, on flat surface, on wheels, in perfect visual conditions. It was a big bummer, and it has hit researchers that a very long road awaits us to robotics, and in our close future we have to rely on our heads and hands only. To make matter worse, it was only visual recognition aspect, not mentioning simulation of other amazing abilities of human body. Where are the fully functional arms, and legs that hold balance? Where is understanding of commends and situational awareness? Where is the long lasting power source? Good batteries are needed, so we don’t trip on power cord when robot is around.
Now, 40 years later, I notice that slowly the main elements needed to construct fully functional robot are showing up one by one.
Sense of balance and natural movement is already developed.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gi6Ohnp9x8&feature=fvwp&NR=1" target="_blank" rel="nofollow"><span style="font-family: Calibri"><font size="3"><font color="#0000ff">
Understanding of human speech and responding with logical response or action is here too. Computers have beat best people in chess and jeopardy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr7IxQeXr7g
Do you want special recognition? Forget crossing 10 feet in hours! ArtificialIntelligence can drive a car now 22km/h through off road course, or city course. The video is from 2007 though, and we should do much better now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UVKBhKPPuc&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuMFD9s1oIs
Robotic hand:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJg9igTnjIo&feature=related
So technology already exists for human like cyborg to becreated, walking, talking, responding, avoiding and working. Some parts need to be miniaturized and better software invented. Actually the least advanced part is the battery. Not much progress was made in this department. They are still big, heavy and don’t last too long. Anyway, I would say another 20 years and we should start seeing first fully functional, human like robots.
You don’t believe it?
Compare this situation to development of smart phones. Yes, the smart phone marvel that we all have in our hands today. It is not only a phone, but computer, calculator, note book, video and audio recorder with camera or two, internet browser, radio, music player, translator, messaging system, TV, wallet/banking machine, watch, photo album, all world maps with GPS, calendar, any book reader. It can be anything you want as long as you can find an application for it, and it costs mare 400 bucks. Mind that 20 years ago you would need to buy all separate devices to have it all, some not invented yet or accessible for general population, spending at least 100 000 dollars, and would need a truck to hall it around. All of this and more fits in my pocket now.
In 20 years, one company with visionary like Steve Jobs, will put inexpensive parts together, will write great software for it, will tweak it to perfection, and will give us a marvelous robot. With my luck, barely soon enough to drive me around and change my diaper, lol.

Last edited:
The wife robot, coming with a remote control, and you'd be able to turn her off when she's having PMS... wait... nevermind...:)

Meet the galloping donkey for your service:

Courtesy of Boston Dynamics the droids are already in training:

Now the big dog can do some work with his mouth/hand.

Amazing all terrain cockroach:

Big Dog evolution:

My worst fears got confirmed today. The Big Dog got weaponized and ready to serve in US military:

It is time to buy Honda shares, meet Asimo.
This actually took me by surprise. It is freakishly impressive.

The way Big Dog responded to the kick is brilliant....I wish my balance was half as good :)
What kind of science is this? It is time for ethical treatment of robots organization to step in!:grin:

What kind of science is this? It is time for ethical treatment of robots organization to step in!:grin:
I know, it`s almost as bad as when I said I didn`t like the one that looked like a spider.. lol. Sorry... ;)

robot dog is not a bad idea. When you go on vacation, you can just shut it down, as opposed to the old fashion dog for which you have to find a friend to take care of it.

Here are some quite stupid predictions of the past century cracked(dot)com/photoplasty_777_26-hilariously-inaccurate-predictions-about-future_p26/#26 X) . As for the robots will actually improve if the artificial intelligence algorithms can find a more capable computing device (perhaps quantum computers;).

robot dog is not a bad idea. When you go on vacation, you can just shut it down, as opposed to the old fashion dog for which you have to find a friend to take care of it.

couldn't agree more. Also the robot dog won't eat/drink and thus shit/pee, won't get sick ($$ to the vet) and won't be poisoned by some neighbor or burglar. Instead of getting frail/blind with the age he will get .. upgraded

Understanding of human speech and responding with logical response or action is here too. Computers have beat best people in chess

Don't be that sure, many people think -- and for solid reasons! -- that the Deep Blue was a scam (was Fisher behind it? Google up). A sample: "Kasparov accused IBM of cheating and demanded a rematch. IBM refused and retired Deep Blue"

As for the big cats and dogs I really consider that them toys are a nice hobby for high schoolers. I find it sad that grown ups waste so much resources ($$, time, brain power) to shyly trying to build some funny things that have some maximum 3% of the abilities of the real things. Walking bags of bacteria and excrement trying to copy other walking bags of bacteria and excrement, duhh, that's depressing, is that all that the glorious PhD's can think of?

It's very little creativity in plainly coping mother nature and most of the time the results are ridiculous. Flying like a bird? -- keep trying, you ridiculous punks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMhdksPFhCM

Copying nature is a non-creative effort and without creative humans we'd still be in the stone age right now. If I copy one of my fav quote by Voltaire, "God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh" and paste it here that doesn't make me creative.

Think BIG, people! A real dog will be 1,000X more agile that your ridiculous toys on which you spend countless billions. To realize what? To get a contract with the Pentagon and enrich the well-connected dudes that were able to open the right doors ...

Last edited:
My worst fears got confirmed today. The Big Dog got weaponized and ready to serve in US military:

Damn, it's going to do some serious damage. lol

This thread has been viewed 44082 times.

Back