Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum

Thread: Napoleon I belonged to haplogroup E1b1b1c1* (E-M34)

Satyavrata Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%

Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Napoleon I belonged to haplogroup E1b1b1c1* (E-M34)

Napoleon's Y-DNA has finally been tested. He belonged to haplogroup E1b1b1c1* (E-M34), the main subclade of E-M123. They tested DNA from his beard hairs as well as DNA from one of his modern descendant, Charles Napoléon. Both belonged to the same haplogroup.

E-M123 and E-M34 have a distribution which strongly suggest a Neolithic dispersal. They peak in the southern Levant (Israel and Palestine), then seem to have spread through southern and western Anatolia, jumped to Italy, with major settlements particularly in Sicily and Sardinia, then carried on to Tunisia, Algeria and southern France. There are also minor frequencies in northern Spain and northern Germany. Overall the distribution is reminiscent of G2a(xG2a3), J1(xJ1c3) and T.
    My book selection---Follow me on Facebook and Twitter --- My profile on Academia.edu and on ResearchGate ----Check Wa-pedia's Japan Guide
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

Regular Member Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 594
    Overall activity: 55.0%

Ethnic group
    España

Should come again, because my family has always been the legend oral tradition that came from a deserter from Napoleon's troops when he tried unsuccessfully to invade Spain.

Level

Ethnic group
    España

Have you discovered the haplogroup of Napoleon and nobody says anything?

This is outrageous!, What has happened to you? I imagine ...

Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 206
    Overall activity: 0%

There are some reactions in another thread, which questions Napoleon's haplogroup, so that could explain absence of it in this one; I agree the discovery deserves its own thread: it is a very interesting result :)

Level

Ethnic group
    España

France held a Napoleon 'white'
    An investigation of their DNA says its origin is Caucasian

A big sigh of relief seemed to rise on Monday on France, issued by a very particular sector of the population that wants to link the history of the great figures of the country with clear targets and European origins. The conservative daily Le Figaro returned to great fanfare the results of genetic research on the remains of Napoleon, which would suggest that Caucasian origins, thus ruling out the clues that indicate that some Arabic was the emperor.

The research carried out by a team led by geneticist Gerard Lucotte searched several hairs from the beard of the emperor, the remains that had been previously authenticated by a detail of historical significance. The imperial produce fibers containing grains of pollen a plant endemic and several molecules of rare minerals, all reachable only in Santa Elena. This island in the Atlantic was the place where Napoleon died in 1821, after six years of captivity in the hands of the British Crown.

Previous studies pointed that the emperor had Arab ancestors

Lucotte, Institute for Molecular Genetics in Paris, and Thierry Thomasset, RX Laboratory and Peter Hrechdakian of Unifert Group, proceeded to determine, through analysis of degraded DNA, the Y-chromosome haplogroup of the emperor. Some geneticists believe that this source can know what a person has, from the father.

After analyzing the chromosome, and to compare it with genetic material from descendants of Napoleon, Lucotte reaches a conclusion: the male line of Napoleon bore the imprint of haplogroup E1b1b1c1. We know that genetics, for now, on this haplogroup is formed about 7,000 years ago in the eastern Mediterranean coast between Egypt and the current modern Turkey. Today, accurate science is at its highest proportion of people living in Israel, Palestine and Lebanon.

The truth is that if the paternity of E1b1b1c1 back further, that is, until about 24,000 years, several studies have indicated its origin in eastern Africa, where nobody knows if at that time the citizens would have occurred defined as Arab, black, or Caucasian Berbers.

The scientists analyzed genetic material from his beard

In any case, the pleasure of Le Figaro with the discovery of Napoleon's hair was immense, both as to say: "Napoleon was not Arabic, but caucasian" and added that this shows to be untrue "historical indications were thinking experts Napoleon's Arab ancestors had arrived in Europe during the expansion of Islam, or through merchandise trade with Italy. " In any case, science does not give the results as valid until you commit a second laboratory.

The legend of a Napoleon of Arab or Berber origin is persistent. Through the mother, the Corsican had its origins in an Italian area frequently invaded, occupied and inhabited by Saracens, and a maternal ancestor was known as Il Moro di Sarzana, a mercenary who worked for the Genoese Republic in Corsica around 1480. The numerous pro-Islamic writings of Napoleon even though it was a historical reputation as a defender of the Jews credited, in the eyes of the supporters of this type of argument, the idea that some Arab and Berber was the emperor.

http://m.publico.es/417160

Banned Achievements:
    100 Experience Points1 year registered

Greeks and Albanians have laid claim that originaly Napoleon was from Morea (today's Poloponesis). Albanians were settled there before Turkish occupation in 1500 ad, and after that they moved to Southern Italy, where they still are present today. That's when Napoleons forefathers began their movement in Corsica's derection. I don't have a hard evidence to support this, but what I know for sure is that Napoleon's haplogroup is present around 1.5% in the area of Albania, Bulgaria and probably Greece. Phenotypically he looks like one of my albanian roomates. So he does not have to be Palestinian. Some french have claimed Albanian or Greek origin of Napoleon.

Elite member Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,059
    Overall activity: 33.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b - L21/S145*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H3c

Ethnic group
    more celtic

it's very funny, all that focalization about the "origins" of the "great man" (a megalomane and a traitor for me, even if intelligent) - these Franchies trying to save the honour of a "Corsican" (island bought from Italy a few years before his birth), Corsican of fresh "italian" origin - all the way, the definition of his HG doesn't provide us any precise geographical origin - and Napoleon Buonaparte's ancestors, whatever the origin of the first male lineage bearer, were surely a good medley of diverse southern Europeans, maybe Italians for the most... caucasian type he had, sure! a far possible Arab ancestor could not change that, and I recall you that a true 'arabic phenotype' is a pure caucasian one (look at Yemenites ancient types, an more at Yemen Jews autosomals...)
    I confess I'm a bit jealous, nobody is trying to infer my far origins, can you understand that?

Satyavrata Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%

Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic

Lucotte et al. have refined the test of Napoleon Bonaparte's Y-chromosomal DNA by testing two of his descendants (Alexander Colonna Walewski and Prince Charles Napoléon). The Bonaparte haplogroup is now M123+ > M34+ > L791, L792+.

They have also reconstructed Napoleon I’s Y-haplotype using 109 STR markers. This now makes it possible for anybody to determine whether or not their are descendants or close patrilineal cousins of Napoleon I.

In FTDNA format, the first 11 STR markers would have the following haplotype: 14-24-13-10-16-16-11-12-12-14-11. Some important values include DYS447=21 and DYS449=28, a relatively rare combination among E-M34+ members. Someone has already added the partial haplotype on Ysearch (SN5G8).

I checked the E1b1b Project at FTDNA and Ysearch but didn't find any perfect match, although one Shirokoff from Russia (near Moscow) is pretty close.

Junior Member Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 288
    Overall activity: 3.0%

Bruno Roy-Henry recently opened a Petition to the French President on Avaaz:

It's about a skin fragment of Napoleon I. and their Y-DNA. Issued in a museum in France. So far it has been denied, but the funds are there. It should answer the question, that the one who was exhumed in 1840 in St. Helena is really Napoleon I.

Here the Petition and please subscribe:
    avaaz.org/fr/petition/Le_President_de_la_Republique_Francaise_Lanalyse_A DN_du_derme_conserve_au_musee_de_lArmee_et_attribu e_a_Napoleon/?tWDXfdb

Can someone please put the link correctly with http? I can not due to insufficient contributions.
    Last edited by WST; 13-03-14 at 13:36.