Napoleon I belonged to haplogroup E1b1b1c1* (E-M34)

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
Napoleon's Y-DNA has finally been tested. He belonged to haplogroup E1b1b1c1* (E-M34), the main subclade of E-M123. They tested DNA from his beard hairs as well as DNA from one of his modern descendant, Charles Napoléon. Both belonged to the same haplogroup.

E-M123 and E-M34 have a distribution which strongly suggest a Neolithic dispersal. They peak in the southern Levant (Israel and Palestine), then seem to have spread through southern and western Anatolia, jumped to Italy, with major settlements particularly in Sicily and Sardinia, then carried on to Tunisia, Algeria and southern France. There are also minor frequencies in northern Spain and northern Germany. Overall the distribution is reminiscent of G2a(xG2a3), J1(xJ1c3) and T.

Should come again, because my family has always been the legend oral tradition that came from a deserter from Napoleon's troops when he tried unsuccessfully to invade Spain.

Have you discovered the haplogroup of Napoleon and nobody says anything?

This is outrageous!, What has happened to you? I imagine ...

There are some reactions in another thread, which questions Napoleon's haplogroup, so that could explain absence of it in this one; I agree the discovery deserves its own thread: it is a very interesting result :)

France held a Napoleon 'white'
An investigation of their DNA says its origin is Caucasian

A big sigh of relief seemed to rise on Monday on France, issued by a very particular sector of the population that wants to link the history of the great figures of the country with clear targets and European origins. The conservative daily Le Figaro returned to great fanfare the results of genetic research on the remains of Napoleon, which would suggest that Caucasian origins, thus ruling out the clues that indicate that some Arabic was the emperor.

The research carried out by a team led by geneticist Gerard Lucotte searched several hairs from the beard of the emperor, the remains that had been previously authenticated by a detail of historical significance. The imperial produce fibers containing grains of pollen a plant endemic and several molecules of rare minerals, all reachable only in Santa Elena. This island in the Atlantic was the place where Napoleon died in 1821, after six years of captivity in the hands of the British Crown.

Previous studies pointed that the emperor had Arab ancestors

Lucotte, Institute for Molecular Genetics in Paris, and Thierry Thomasset, RX Laboratory and Peter Hrechdakian of Unifert Group, proceeded to determine, through analysis of degraded DNA, the Y-chromosome haplogroup of the emperor. Some geneticists believe that this source can know what a person has, from the father.

After analyzing the chromosome, and to compare it with genetic material from descendants of Napoleon, Lucotte reaches a conclusion: the male line of Napoleon bore the imprint of haplogroup E1b1b1c1. We know that genetics, for now, on this haplogroup is formed about 7,000 years ago in the eastern Mediterranean coast between Egypt and the current modern Turkey. Today, accurate science is at its highest proportion of people living in Israel, Palestine and Lebanon.

The truth is that if the paternity of E1b1b1c1 back further, that is, until about 24,000 years, several studies have indicated its origin in eastern Africa, where nobody knows if at that time the citizens would have occurred defined as Arab, black, or Caucasian Berbers.

The scientists analyzed genetic material from his beard

In any case, the pleasure of Le Figaro with the discovery of Napoleon's hair was immense, both as to say: "Napoleon was not Arabic, but caucasian" and added that this shows to be untrue "historical indications were thinking experts Napoleon's Arab ancestors had arrived in Europe during the expansion of Islam, or through merchandise trade with Italy. " In any case, science does not give the results as valid until you commit a second laboratory.

The legend of a Napoleon of Arab or Berber origin is persistent. Through the mother, the Corsican had its origins in an Italian area frequently invaded, occupied and inhabited by Saracens, and a maternal ancestor was known as Il Moro di Sarzana, a mercenary who worked for the Genoese Republic in Corsica around 1480. The numerous pro-Islamic writings of Napoleon even though it was a historical reputation as a defender of the Jews credited, in the eyes of the supporters of this type of argument, the idea that some Arab and Berber was the emperor.

http://m.publico.es/417160

Greeks and Albanians have laid claim that originaly Napoleon was from Morea (today's Poloponesis). Albanians were settled there before Turkish occupation in 1500 ad, and after that they moved to Southern Italy, where they still are present today. That's when Napoleons forefathers began their movement in Corsica's derection. I don't have a hard evidence to support this, but what I know for sure is that Napoleon's haplogroup is present around 1.5% in the area of Albania, Bulgaria and probably Greece. Phenotypically he looks like one of my albanian roomates. So he does not have to be Palestinian. Some french have claimed Albanian or Greek origin of Napoleon.

it's very funny, all that focalization about the "origins" of the "great man" (a megalomane and a traitor for me, even if intelligent) - these Franchies trying to save the honour of a "Corsican" (island bought from Italy a few years before his birth), Corsican of fresh "italian" origin - all the way, the definition of his HG doesn't provide us any precise geographical origin - and Napoleon Buonaparte's ancestors, whatever the origin of the first male lineage bearer, were surely a good medley of diverse southern Europeans, maybe Italians for the most... caucasian type he had, sure! a far possible Arab ancestor could not change that, and I recall you that a true 'arabic phenotype' is a pure caucasian one (look at Yemenites ancient types, an more at Yemen Jews autosomals...)
I confess I'm a bit jealous, nobody is trying to infer my far origins, can you understand that?

Lucotte et al. have refined the test of Napoleon Bonaparte's Y-chromosomal DNA by testing two of his descendants (Alexander Colonna Walewski and Prince Charles Napoléon). The Bonaparte haplogroup is now M123+ > M34+ > L791, L792+.

They have also reconstructed Napoleon I’s Y-haplotype using 109 STR markers. This now makes it possible for anybody to determine whether or not their are descendants or close patrilineal cousins of Napoleon I.

Napoleon-Y-STR.png

In FTDNA format, the first 11 STR markers would have the following haplotype: 14-24-13-10-16-16-11-12-12-14-11. Some important values include DYS447=21 and DYS449=28, a relatively rare combination among E-M34+ members. Someone has already added the partial haplotype on Ysearch (SN5G8).

I checked the E1b1b Project at FTDNA and Ysearch but didn't find any perfect match, although one Shirokoff from Russia (near Moscow) is pretty close.

Bruno Roy-Henry recently opened a Petition to the French President on Avaaz:

It's about a skin fragment of Napoleon I. and their Y-DNA. Issued in a museum in France. So far it has been denied, but the funds are there. It should answer the question, that the one who was exhumed in 1840 in St. Helena is really Napoleon I.

Here the Petition and please subscribe:
avaaz.org/fr/petition/Le_President_de_la_Republique_Francaise_Lanalyse_ADN_du_derme_conserve_au_musee_de_lArmee_et_attribue_a_Napoleon/?tWDXfdb

Can someone please put the link correctly with http? I can not due to insufficient contributions.

Last edited:
This confirms information I previously provided that the source of the Buonaparte family is in Sarzana, Liguria on the border of Toscana, and in more ancient times under the control of the Bishops of Luni. In fact, when the Roman city of Luni was finally abandoned the Bishop led his people inland to the area around Sarzana. One of the family holdings was directly across the Magra from where I was born and spent my childhood. I could see it from underneath the grape arbor. :)Interesting that it has a date around 700 BC. Looks to me like Levant to Anatolia/Armenia, Greece, maybe Southern Italy given how much Greek settlement there was in Calabria, and then perhaps to Luni, settled by soldiers from he center and south. Just speculation, but maybe not too far off. The whole family look like coastal Ligurians to me. Can’t imagine people with their pretensions to nobility would have ad mixed much with the herders of the interior.

Last edited:
Greeks and Albanians have laid claim that originaly Napoleon was from Morea (today's Poloponesis). Albanians were settled there before Turkish occupation in 1500 ad, and after that they moved to Southern Italy, where they still are present today. That's when Napoleons forefathers began their movement in Corsica's derection. I don't have a hard evidence to support this, but what I know for sure is that Napoleon's haplogroup is present around 1.5% in the area of Albania, Bulgaria and probably Greece. Phenotypically he looks like one of my albanian roomates. So he does not have to be Palestinian. Some french have claimed Albanian or Greek origin of Napoleon.

Wtf, this haplogroup has absolutely nothing to do with Albanians. It is less than 1% in Shqiptaret

I would guess it is Jewish, they were spread throughout certain parts of Europe by this point, could also be from Muslim invaders of South Italy

Here we go with the y line thing. The paper seems to think otherwise. Did you bother reading it?

Anyway, who cares?

In terms of genetic identity he was Italian. Period. It’s written all over him, his parents and his siblings. It’s his family origins and eve Corsicans as a whole are just a subgroup of Italians, very close to Italians.

Amazing how so many people want to claim someone who was basically an enlightened despot in the mode of Catherine the Great. His mania for conquest led to a lot of death even if he did good things as well.

Here we go with the y line thing. The paper seems to think otherwise. Did you bother reading it?
Anyway, who cares?
In terms of genetic identity he was Italian. Period. It’s written all over him, his parents and his siblings. It’s his family origins and eve Corsicans as a whole are just a subgroup of Italians, very close to Italians.
Amazing how so many people want to claim someone who was basically an enlightened despot in the mode of Catherine the Great. His mania for conquest led to a lot of death even if he did good things as well.

Yes we know he was Italian and then French culturally but here are we not discussing his y dna? His ancestors tribal origin?

Also, do you know where I can find more information about phoenician y dna?

Yes we know he was Italian and then French culturally but here are we not discussing his y dna? His ancestors tribal origin?

If he grew up in Corsica, he was Corsican in culture as Italy was not yet a unified country.

Please spare me this “tribal origin” stuff. One’s “tribal origin” is not just the group responsible for one among many y lines, not to mention all the mtdna lines.

You think the Ssa blacks of Cameroon have any meaningful connection to European Mesolithic RIb-v88 people?

If he grew up in Corsica, he was Corsican in culture as Italy was not yet a unified country.

All Italians knew they were ultimately Italian even if the country wasn’t technically unified. Just as all the most educated among them knew Italian.

Germany wasn’t unified until around the same time. You think the Saxons and the Bavarians and the Hanoverians didn’t realize they were ultimately all German?

You need to get some detailed biographies of all the “ Bonapartes” too, and some books on Corsican history. They spoke “Italian” a lot better than they spoke French, most of them. Don’t you know how long Corsica had been part of Liguria?

The Emperor himself spoke very bad, highly accented French.

Napoleon was an opportunist. His family supported the rebels for a time but he knew where he had the best chance, and he took it by going to a French military college and supporting the Republicans before betraying them and taking power for himself.

Didn’t stop him from being extremely proud of and flaunting his noble Tuscan ancestors. Look it up.

Genetically, a lot of the Corsicans, especially those from the coast, are pretty indistinguishable from Tuscans.

You people are going to have to get a new songbook to sing from...

The facts are destroying your positions at every turn.

Please spare me this “tribal origin” stuff. One’s “tribal origin” is not just the group responsible for one among many y lines, not to mention all the mtdna lines.
You think the Ssa blacks of Cameroon have any meaningful connection to European Mesolithic RIb-v88 people?

Maybe that is where r1b initially originated and then moved to sardinia, could also be that "europeans" settled there and therefore mixed with Cameroon folk. Its not that crazy, South Africa has a lot of Europeans today. Some people like to move and live in different places, it's normal

Anyway going that far back doesn't help determine tribes because not many relevant tribes existed. I am talking about groups/tribes we know of that had some impact on history

I made this page about Napoleon (and others) when the Internet was young, ... an i-Net+ thing :)

The contents came from different sources, though my priority wasn't the content, it summarizes a lot of informations.

k0QbI1t.jpg

They were noble even before they
Moved to sarzana :)
A branch of the Cadolingi di Borgonuovo family, Lords of Fucecchio
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fucecchio
in Tuscany from the 10th century onwards, which had acquired the name of Buonaparte, had settled near Sarzana before 1264.[4]
:cool-v:
In 1512 a member of the family (Francesco Buonaparte, who died in 1540) permanently took up residence in Ajaccio,[4] becoming the founder of the Corsican line of Buonapartes and hence a direct forebear of Sebastiano Nicola Buonaparte. He in turn was the great-grandfather of the emperor Napoleon I (who was born in Corsica in 1769).

P.s
and i agree with angela that autosmally
Speaking he was tuscan italian (y)
And most important thing is the final mutation
Thats why we have yfull:)
even if i am wrong and he was corsican autosomally they cluster very close to tuscan

Last edited:

This thread has been viewed 75414 times.

Back