Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Dalmatian Serbian DNA result by DR Mcdonald

  1. #1
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    15-10-11
    Location
    France
    Posts
    16
    Points
    1,978
    Level
    12
    Points: 1,978, Level: 12
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 172
    Overall activity: 8.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    I1*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    K1a13

    Ethnic group
    Flemish+Serbian/Croatian
    Country: France



    Talking Dalmatian Serbian DNA result by DR Mcdonald

    I sent to him my mother's autosomal DNA data from 23andme. I wondered what a chromosome painting can look like with a person from Dalmatia.




    Most likely fit is 85.6% (+- 11.2%) Europe (various subcontinents)
    and 14.4% (+- 11.2%) Mideast (various subcontinents)

    The following are possible population sets and their fractions,
    most likely at the top
    Hungary= 0.882 Armenian= 0.118 or
    Hungary= 0.872 Georgian= 0.128 or
    Hungary= 0.856 Jewish= 0.144 or
    Hungary= 0.903 Druze= 0.097 or
    Hungary= 0.913 Palestin= 0.087 or
    Hungary= 0.880 Cypriot= 0.120 or
    Lithuani= 0.527 Jewish= 0.473 or
    Hungary= 0.876 Turkish= 0.124 or
    Hungary= 0.944 Bedouin = 0.056 or
    Hungary= 0.903 Iranian= 0.097

    Here his commentary and an another because I asked if the east_asian segment was real or false.

    As to the Asian on chromosomes 1 ... it is fairly weak and also

    small. Its too small to tell much about. But as weak as it is,
    I would say that it is not significant. The Mideast blocks also
    seen are very weak and are expected in anyone from that area.

    I’m not saying its not “true” in the sense that some small stretches got there from East Asia.
    They probably did. I’m saying that it is not RECENT, that you are unlikely to find the cause.
    They are just lying around from ancient migrations.
    There are very well known historical reasons why they got to that part of the world.

    The computer program didn’t say “Hun”garian for nothing (of course,
    the country is in the right place too.)

    Here where my mother plot on a gene/geography map. The green dot shows the average place.



    Even at low level, the asian influence brought with the Huns or Avars can be still seen nowadays in people from west balkan, this is quite amazing !







  2. #2
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    18-09-11
    Posts
    155
    Points
    1,674
    Level
    11
    Points: 1,674, Level: 11
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 176
    Overall activity: 0%


    Country: Canada



    Quote Originally Posted by Mihajlo View Post
    I sent to him my mother's autosomal DNA data from 23andme. I wondered what a chromosome painting can look like with a person from Dalmatia.




    Most likely fit is 85.6% (+- 11.2%) Europe (various subcontinents)
    and 14.4% (+- 11.2%) Mideast (various subcontinents)

    The following are possible population sets and their fractions,
    most likely at the top
    Hungary= 0.882 Armenian= 0.118 or
    Hungary= 0.872 Georgian= 0.128 or
    Hungary= 0.856 Jewish= 0.144 or
    Hungary= 0.903 Druze= 0.097 or
    Hungary= 0.913 Palestin= 0.087 or
    Hungary= 0.880 Cypriot= 0.120 or
    Lithuani= 0.527 Jewish= 0.473 or
    Hungary= 0.876 Turkish= 0.124 or
    Hungary= 0.944 Bedouin = 0.056 or
    Hungary= 0.903 Iranian= 0.097

    Here his commentary and an another because I asked if the east_asian segment was real or false.

    As to the Asian on chromosomes 1 ... it is fairly weak and also

    small. Its too small to tell much about. But as weak as it is,
    I would say that it is not significant. The Mideast blocks also
    seen are very weak and are expected in anyone from that area.

    I’m not saying its not “true” in the sense that some small stretches got there from East Asia.
    They probably did. I’m saying that it is not RECENT, that you are unlikely to find the cause.
    They are just lying around from ancient migrations.
    There are very well known historical reasons why they got to that part of the world.

    The computer program didn’t say “Hun”garian for nothing (of course,
    the country is in the right place too.)

    Here where my mother plot on a gene/geography map. The green dot shows the average place.



    Even at low level, the asian influence brought with the Huns or Avars can be still seen nowadays in people from west balkan, this is quite amazing !






    Does McDonald have a view about the South Asian stretch on the X-chromosome? I do but I wouldn't want to preempt him

  3. #3
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    15-10-11
    Location
    France
    Posts
    16
    Points
    1,978
    Level
    12
    Points: 1,978, Level: 12
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 172
    Overall activity: 8.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    I1*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    K1a13

    Ethnic group
    Flemish+Serbian/Croatian
    Country: France



    Quote Originally Posted by razor View Post
    Does McDonald have a view about the South Asian stretch on the X-chromosome? I do but I wouldn't want to preempt him
    No, he didn't say anything about it. What do you think ?

  4. #4
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    18-09-11
    Posts
    155
    Points
    1,674
    Level
    11
    Points: 1,674, Level: 11
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 176
    Overall activity: 0%


    Country: Canada



    My mother in law (and my wife) both have such a stretch (in the centromere) of exacly the same length. McDonald said it was "real". It's relatively old (since they have no significant "South Asian" on their autosomal chromos). My mother in law's maternal line is from Ukraine's Transcarpathian region. I think it represents some older contact with a Roma (Gypsy) or a Roma-connecting population (Hungarian, Romanian, or other). Not unusual for the area south of the Carpathians. Perhaps your mother's indicates the same. Given the "stickiness" of the stretches, we're probably talking in terms of hundreds of years ago, maybe more.

  5. #5
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    15-10-11
    Location
    France
    Posts
    16
    Points
    1,978
    Level
    12
    Points: 1,978, Level: 12
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 172
    Overall activity: 8.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    I1*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    K1a13

    Ethnic group
    Flemish+Serbian/Croatian
    Country: France



    Quote Originally Posted by razor View Post
    My mother in law (and my wife) both have such a stretch (in the centromere) of exacly the same length. McDonald said it was "real". It's relatively old (since they have no significant "South Asian" on their autosomal chromos). My mother in law's maternal line is from Ukraine's Transcarpathian region. I think it represents some older contact with a Roma (Gypsy) or a Roma-connecting population (Hungarian, Romanian, or other). Not unusual for the area south of the Carpathians. Perhaps your mother's indicates the same. Given the "stickiness" of the stretches, we're probably talking in terms of hundreds of years ago, maybe more.
    Interesting, thank you for your comment.

    In ancestry finder she has some Romanians and Ukrainians. In my own chromosome painting on the X , the south asia has vanished, I just have the mideast segment.

    An another theory : we see that she is overwhelmingly european with all that red , then, in second position, we have the mideast, then the south asia segment and the shortest one, the east_asia. It's like eastward - westard migration as the people ( the Avars and the Huns ?) migrate and mix with the population they encounter on their road or they took with them , as a confederation , and so on until they reach Europe. At the arrival, I bet it's already heavily mixed with mainly european DNA.

  6. #6
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    18-09-11
    Posts
    155
    Points
    1,674
    Level
    11
    Points: 1,674, Level: 11
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 176
    Overall activity: 0%


    Country: Canada



    I would suggest you upload your results to www.gedmatch.com and see how they interpret your mideast and east asian. Dr. McDonald's "mideast" is pretty wide, and includes gedmatch's West Asian (=Caucasus +) and South West Asian (=Arabs+). Gedmatch also distinguishes between Northeast Asian and Southeast Asian.
    As to the other theory: don't forget that other Asians also rolled into the Carpathian basin after the Huns and Avars. It's pretty tricky to disentangle.

  7. #7
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    15-10-11
    Location
    France
    Posts
    16
    Points
    1,978
    Level
    12
    Points: 1,978, Level: 12
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 172
    Overall activity: 8.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    I1*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    K1a13

    Ethnic group
    Flemish+Serbian/Croatian
    Country: France



    Gedmatch, it's done. On admixture chromosome painting, at the exact same location as the test from Mcdonald, it's something like 3/4 of southeast asian and 1/4 northeast asian.

    Very consistent with the bychr mode with the original k=12 dv3 test by dieneke : 1.33% northeast asian and 3.32 % southeast asian on chromosome 1.

    Then by genomewide, she shows average 17.13 % west_asian and 3.07% southwest which is fall commonly in the balkan cluster.

    And yes, I agree, the balkan history is hard to resolve.

  8. #8
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    15-10-11
    Location
    France
    Posts
    16
    Points
    1,978
    Level
    12
    Points: 1,978, Level: 12
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 172
    Overall activity: 8.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    I1*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    K1a13

    Ethnic group
    Flemish+Serbian/Croatian
    Country: France



    Update of her results with AC.



    http://img542.imageshack.us/img542/1...nstitre2kz.png


    I have to mention that the asians bits come from my grandpa and, considering their length, are unlikely compatible with turkic tribes ( Huns and Avars) arrived during middle ages.

    It is rather within the past 400 years because of an unknown event in my family during the ottoman period.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mihajlo; 15-04-13 at 23:00.

  9. #9
    Terra Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points
    Gea's Avatar
    Join Date
    21-06-13
    Location
    Lórien
    Posts
    29
    Points
    625
    Level
    6
    Points: 625, Level: 6
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 125
    Overall activity: 0%


    Ethnic group
    Silvan Elf
    Country: Croatia



    Vlach in other words PaleoBalkan ancestry is predominant in Serbs western of river Drina.

  10. #10
    Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    LeBrok's Avatar
    Join Date
    18-11-09
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    10,331
    Points
    113,888
    Level
    100
    Points: 113,888, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b Z2109
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1c

    Ethnic group
    Citizen of the world
    Country: Canada-Alberta



    Quote Originally Posted by Gea View Post
    Vlach in other words PaleoBalkan ancestry is predominant in Serbs western of river Drina.
    Here is an interesting debate about Vlachs.
    http://www.eupedia.com/forum/threads...ighlight=vlach
    Welcome to Eupedia Gea
    Be wary of people who tend to glorify the past, underestimate the present, and demonize the future.

  11. #11
    Terra Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points
    Gea's Avatar
    Join Date
    21-06-13
    Location
    Lórien
    Posts
    29
    Points
    625
    Level
    6
    Points: 625, Level: 6
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 125
    Overall activity: 0%


    Ethnic group
    Silvan Elf
    Country: Croatia



    Quote Originally Posted by LeBrok View Post
    Here is an interesting debate about Vlachs.
    ...
    Welcome to Eupedia Gea
    Yes,partially it is Lingustics fault that Vlachs are hard to understand.Folks on the Balkans is complicated and usage of terms is pretty loose so it makes mix-ups.

    Thank you for the welcome.

  12. #12
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    06-11-17
    Posts
    273
    Points
    2,039
    Level
    12
    Points: 2,039, Level: 12
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 111
    Overall activity: 2.0%


    Country: Serbia



    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gea View Post
    Vlach in other words PaleoBalkan ancestry is predominant in Serbs western of river Drina.
    Wrong, Serbs from Bosnia and Croatia have more R1a and less E-V13 than Serbs from Serbia and Montenegrins.

    At autosomal DNA Serbs from Bosnia and Croatia have more northern andixture than Serbs from Serbia and Montenegrins.

  13. #13
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    01-09-14
    Location
    Zagreb
    Posts
    626
    Points
    6,504
    Level
    23
    Points: 6,504, Level: 23
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Overall activity: 5.0%


    Ethnic group
    Croatian
    Country: Croatia



    Quote Originally Posted by Bachus View Post
    Wrong, Serbs from Bosnia and Croatia have more R1a and less E-V13 than Serbs from Serbia and Montenegrins.

    At autosomal DNA Serbs from Bosnia and Croatia have more northern andixture than Serbs from Serbia and Montenegrins.
    Very interesting because Serbs in Croatia allegedly coming from Serbia and Montenegro(that area), it is very likely that Croatian Serbs are part of Croatian origin and genetics shows this.
    For now, it is only my opinion because genetics still need confirmed this.
    Only thing is sure is that Serbs migration from east Balkans to Croatia is not true, at least for part of Serbs in Croatia.

  14. #14
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    06-11-17
    Posts
    273
    Points
    2,039
    Level
    12
    Points: 2,039, Level: 12
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 111
    Overall activity: 2.0%


    Country: Serbia



    Quote Originally Posted by hrvat22 View Post
    Very interesting because Serbs in Croatia allegedly coming from Serbia and Montenegro(that area), it is very likely that Croatian Serbs are part of Croatian origin and genetics shows this.
    For now, it is only my opinion because genetics still need confirmed this.
    Only thing is sure is that Serbs migration from east Balkans to Croatia is not true, at least for part of Serbs in Croatia.
    Percentage of R1a among Serbs in regions of Serbia and Republic of Srpska.



  15. #15
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    01-09-14
    Location
    Zagreb
    Posts
    626
    Points
    6,504
    Level
    23
    Points: 6,504, Level: 23
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Overall activity: 5.0%


    Ethnic group
    Croatian
    Country: Croatia



    Quote Originally Posted by Bachus View Post
    Percentage of R1a among Serbs in regions of Serbia and Republic of Srpska.


    Only thing that is relevant is only scientific work for Bosnian Serb, year 2005. And 13,6% R1a.


    http://s155239215.onlinehome.us/turk...GeneticsEn.htm

  16. #16
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    06-11-17
    Posts
    273
    Points
    2,039
    Level
    12
    Points: 2,039, Level: 12
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 111
    Overall activity: 2.0%


    Country: Serbia



    Quote Originally Posted by hrvat22 View Post
    Only thing that is relevant is only scientific work for Bosnian Serb, year 2005. And 13,6% R1a.


    http://s155239215.onlinehome.us/turk...GeneticsEn.htm
    Wrong, that "scientific work" is not relevant at all because sample was only from few villages east of Banja Luka and also sample was small.

    In every research Serbs from Bosnia have higher percentage of R1a than Serbs from Serbia except that from few villages near Banja Luka which is not represent.

    If you don't believe to me look here http://dnk.poreklo.rs/tabela-pojedin...grp-filter=R1a

    Serbs from Bosanska Krajina and Podrinje have high percentage of R1a.

Similar Threads

  1. What's your political compass result?
    By Tsuyoiko in forum Politics & Governments
    Replies: 105
    Last Post: 30-06-19, 00:05
  2. Dr Doug McDonald BGA analysis results
    By Yorkie in forum Autosomal Genetics
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 19-03-13, 01:25
  3. Revision of Serbian Y dna
    By Bogdan in forum Y-DNA Haplogroups
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 25-11-12, 14:38
  4. Celtic - Serbian parallels
    By how yes no 2 in forum Linguistics
    Replies: 269
    Last Post: 31-05-12, 02:19
  5. My back bone test result has been resulted
    By motatalea in forum Y-DNA Haplogroups
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 22-12-09, 17:03

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •