The difference between Endonym and Exonym

True, but shunned people are not persecuted by an Inquisition, jailed, or burned at the stake for heresy.

Government gang-stalking could be said to be the modern version - "targeted individuals" get cooked alive in their homes by radiation/microwave weaponry, amongst other grimness.

Nihongo is the endonym for Japanese. Never ever heard it mentioned in the English-speaking MSM. "Japanese" must be one of the most hardwired-in English exynoms. Though on the other hand, there are nowt exynoms of Japanese placenames in English-speaking-dom, I think.

In regards to Japan, the name is believed to be intermediated through a Chinese dialect. According to Wiki, Portuguese traders adopted "Jepang" from Malay (which in turn came from southern Chinese dialects like Fujianese) and spread it through Europe. For a modern example, in Cantonese, Japan is referred to as something like "Yut-boon" (vs "Ri-ben" in Mandarin). Anyway, Japan wasn't always referred to as "nihon" 日本. Originally, 'Wo' (in Chinese) or 'Wa/Yamato' (in Japanese) and 'Wajin' was the exonym as well as endonym for Japan and the Japanese I believe. Later on, the character used for Yamato was changed to 和 since 倭 had some negative connotations to it. Yamato is also the name for the founding state of Japan well as a name still used for the Japanese today btw. It's essentially what defines the Yayoi (vs Jomon) if that makes sense and gives a clear separation between the 'ethnic Japanese' vs minorities (Ainu and Ryukyuans (who some believe descend from the Jomon) in particular). I believe 日本 came about due to relationships between China and Japan during about Sui-Tang period.

Last edited:
Great input thank you. Bytheway, I thought NIPON folk call themselves (like their tungue) Nihongo not Yamato!?

Great input thank you. Bytheway, I thought NIPON folk call themselves (like their tungue) Nihongo not Yamato!?
I think you mean Nihonjin right? (go referring to language) Yes, indeed, I think. Yamato is just another name. But, Yamato is more specific than Nihonjin, since I think ethnic minorities in Japan will refer to themselves as Nihonjin as well. Yamato refers specifically to the majority population. I'll need someone to confirm that though..

I know this may sound trivial, but in discussions about ancient ethnicities, this gets consistently confused. Namely, the difference between the self-designation of an ethnic group (endonym) and the foreign designation of the same ethnic group (exonym). Here are some modern examples of exonyms (in English) versus their respective endonyms:

CroatsHvrati
It is Hrvati and not Hvrati... and word Croats came from word Hrvati... It's not same like for Hungarians and Dutch where completely different word is used

Someone asked earlier about he term "Wends"... I think this was a Germanic word for any foreigner, hence it was applied to both Slavs and Balts. Even Finns might have gotten their exonym from this term. On the other hand, it might have originally been an endonym used by Aryans. After all, I suspect it is no coincidence that the Vindhya mountains and the country of India also carry this name.

Someone asked earlier about he term "Wends"... I think this was a Germanic word for any foreigner, hence it was applied to both Slavs and Balts. Even Finns might have gotten their exonym from this term. On the other hand, it might have originally been an endonym used by Aryans. After all, I suspect it is no coincidence that the Vindhya mountains and the country of India also carry this name.

the term Wend applied to any non Germanic person in only Poland .............even estonians and latvians who entered Poland

It did not apply to any member of the Hansetic league..ie Dutch, Norwegian, English , danish etc

the term Wend applied to any non Germanic person in only Poland .............even estonians and latvians who entered Poland
It did not apply to any member of the Hansetic league..ie Dutch, Norwegian, English , danish etc

Yes, thank you for your ugly use of bold text again. A pity your diction and spelling is awful.

Not sure what the point of your post was. The Hanseatic League spoke Germanic. Ultimately not about politics anyway but language. The term is way older than the 12th century, it existed in Old Norse too. In no way was it confined to folks living Poland. It was used anywhere that there were Germanics living nearby Slavs. So Austrians used it to refer to Slovenes, as I am quite familiar with.

my point being , most think it refers to only slavs and all slavs wherever they live, even in russia and beyond, this is clearly not the case.

the term wend was used firstly by saxons in regards to the migration of people who settled in Mecklenberg ...the Lutici ( originally the VELETI ...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veleti )

The austrians ( ancient Bavarians ) also used the term for East Tyrol people

I know this may sound trivial, but in discussions about ancient ethnicities, this gets consistently confused. Namely, the difference between the self-designation of an ethnic group (endonym) and the foreign designation of the same ethnic group (exonym). Here are some modern examples of exonyms (in English) versus their respective endonyms:

AlbaniansShqiptar
BasquesEuskaldunak
CroatsHvrati
FinnsSuomalaiset
DutchNederlanders
GermansDeutsche
GreeksEllēnes
HungariansMagyarok
JapaneseNihonjin
WelshCymry

The same, of course, applies for ancient ethnic groups:

Proto-Germanic tribesGermani (Lat.), *Nemsi (Proto-Slavic)*Θeudiskaz
Ancient EgyptiansAigyptoi (Gr.), Mizrahim (Hebrew)K-M-T (*Kemet, Coptic "Kimi")
EtruscansEtrusci, Tusci (Lat.), Tyrsenoi (Gr.)Rasna, Rasena
GaulsCeltae, Galli (Lat.), Galatoi, Keltoi (Gr.), *Walhaz (Proto-Germanic)*Keltī, *Wolkī
PictsPicti (Lat.), Cruithne (Irish), Pryden (Old Welsh)?

This is, of course, far from exhaustive. But, if you didn't know this before, remember this next time you talk about ancient ethnic group...

Yeah it's interesting how these differences arose.

Regarding Welsh vs Cymry, the word Welsh derived from a Germanic term for foreigner, particular Celtic or Latin speaking (originally from the name of a Celtic tribe Volcae; see also Walhaz). This was also transferred to proto-Slavic as Volx/Valx and applied to the "Vlach" people of the Balkans and East Europe, which usually call themselves some form of 'roman' in their own languages. Also, in several eastern Euro languages, some form of Nemec or Nemet came to be applied to Germanic people, also meaning foreigner.

Germany has some of the most varied exonyms. Tedeschi in Italian, Alleman or some variant in Spanish, Portuguese and French, German in English (which is a relatively modern term, replacing older English 'Allmain' and 'Dutch'), nemec in many Slavic languages, etc. In fact "German" is almost never the native original word for them.

Yeah it's interesting how these differences arose.

Regarding Welsh vs Cymry, the word Welsh derived from a Germanic term for foreigner, particular Celtic or Latin speaking (originally from the name of a Celtic tribe Volcae; see also Walhaz). This was also transferred to proto-Slavic as Volx/Valx and applied to the "Vlach" people of the Balkans and East Europe, which usually call themselves some form of 'roman' in their own languages. Also, in several eastern Euro languages, some form of Nemec or Nemet came to be applied to Germanic people, also meaning foreigner.

Germany has some of the most varied exonyms. Tedeschi in Italian, Alleman or some variant in Spanish, Portuguese and French, German in English (which is a relatively modern term, replacing older English 'Allmain' and 'Dutch'), nemec in many Slavic languages, etc. In fact "German" is almost never the native original word for them.

Italians today ( proper form ) use both Tedeschi and Germani ...............usually the term tedeschi is reserved for Germans not in Germany proper, ie..in switzerland, austria, brazil, usa etc

https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germani

Italians today ( proper form ) use both Tedeschi and Germani ...............usually the term tedeschi is reserved for Germans not in Germany proper, ie..in switzerland, austria, brazil, usa etc
https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germani

Interesting, I always thought Tedesco was the proper form for German, but could be a southern vs. northern Italian pronunciation or accent difference regarding the word.

Interesting, I always thought Tedesco was the proper form for German, but could be a southern vs. northern Italian pronunciation or accent difference regarding the word.

not that I know of

there are even surnames of

Tedesco = one who looks German but might not be German

and

Germano = more likely a German but has no idea of original surname ( some cases )

there is a woman in USA who does genetics and has surname Tedesco...he ancestors are southern Italian

https://wetheitalians.com/default/t...-italian-american-community-meet-mary-tedesco

not that I know of
there are even surnames of
Tedesco = one who looks German but might not be German
and
Germano = more likely a German but has no idea of original surname ( some cases )
there is a woman in USA who does genetics and has surname Tedesco...he ancestors are southern Italian
https://wetheitalians.com/default/t...-italian-american-community-meet-mary-tedesco

Interesting, so Tedesco may have been a word that referred to looking German and sort of became Southern Italian nomenclature for referring to someone who is German. Again, interesting.

Sirs,

Not contributing to this bonfire of theological/ethnograpic disparaging:

The self-naming of the dutch and deutsch simply means "people". Look up "tjod" in Icelandic or old Norse dictionaries. The Icelandic author Snorre Sturlason writing in Old Norseabout the known world right after the Viking raids had ceased called Sweden Svitjod "Svi" for Swedes, "tjod" for people. These tribes simply named themselves as "the"- men/women possibly like the french name for germans;"alemand" where a possible interpretation is "all men" in a gender neutral interpretation and that tribe name is well known. The finns call Germany "Saxland" so that part of the deutsch , the Saxons were named after their weapons The Sax= a short sword.

p.

This thread has been viewed 32295 times.

Back