Climate change Bad news: global warming will increase incidence of earthquakes and tsunamis

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
In his new book Waking the Giant Bill McGuire explains how global warming can trigger earthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanic eruptions by changing the pressure on the oceanic floor. There is now evidence that the end of the last ice age was followed by a 50-fold increase in volcanic eruptions. Earthquakes are obviously far more difficult to trace back before the dawn of human civilisation. If this is true it makes for some scary prospects about the ensuing decades of this century. It is probably not a coincidence that the mega quakes that happened in the last 7 years all happened in regions surrounded by deep oceans (Japan, Sumatra and New Zealand), where change in water currents and the added weight of melted glaciers have the most impact.

Well yes, it does make for frightening prospects if true. I suppose it will strike up the usual debate of "Is nature catching up with man or is man helping her along?"
I recognize the authors name from the last volcanic eruption in Iceland.

However frightening this is if true ( in regards to things happening quicker than some would like to think) we can hardly throw our hands up in shock, considering how we have boldy marched across the planet over harvesting her resources etc

Last edited:
I'm sceptical how global warming could affect tectonic activity, especially volcanism. However, I think the guy has a point regarding the change of sea level at the end of ice age and that the situation might be somewhat comparable. After all, the end of the ice brought about a vast increase of the shelf areas being submerged that were previously dry land (like the Doggerland).

I'm sceptical how global warming could affect tectonic activity, especially volcanism. However, I think the guy has a point regarding the change of sea level at the end of ice age and that the situation might be somewhat comparable. After all, the end of the ice brought about a vast increase of the shelf areas being submerged that were previously dry land (like the Doggerland).

from my point of view, global warming means that also Earth's core is warming up... it can happen in periods when sun's activity is much stronger (periodic process)...and with increased temperature fluids expand, so global warming would easily cause earthquakes and increased volcanic activity....
very small increase in temperature of Earth's core means that its volume and surface needs to be significantly larger (significantly from our point of view as we live on a thin layer of dried cool surface of a melting hot ball).... so what happens is that either expanding fluid pushes tectonic plates to increasingly move or when that is not enough it explodes through a holes on the surface (those holes we know as volcanos)

but global warming also can cause global cooling.... extremely increased volcanic activity can cause volcanic winters due to lot of ash preventing sun rays to reach the earth...so sun stops heating the earth and its surface and core cool down... explosions of megavolcanos could be a significant part of mechanism that triggered ice ages in the past....and those explosions are caused by earth's core expanding due to long period of extreme sun activity...

it is earth's way to achieve stability by having periods of global warming and global cooling exchanging in sequence as a reaction to regular changes in strength of sun activity (probably not simply periodic - several different frequencies involved)......though amplitudes of extreme cooling and warming are probably becoming less extreme with time because earth's core is also cooling down exponentially...

during global cooling life on earth is just surviving in few refuge areas...

mega earthquakes would be a reaction to a moderate increase of sun activity, mega volcanos would be reaction to extreme sun activity when small movements of tectonic plates are not enough to compensate need of hot fluid of earth's core to expand...

sun has increased activity in last decades, but I do not believe it is anywhere near to trigger a megavolcano that can cause global cooling....but is possibly enough to continue with trend of some mega earthquakes in next years..

this is all elementary physics... i am surprised that there seems to be no exact model with identified parameters... guess it is because geology scientists are not really engineers.. instead all those non engineer scientists give us stories of CO2 effect theory that should make us feel guilty...but they do not provide exact models... they base theory on observing correlation in shape of curves representing temperature and CO2 and disregard that increase of CO2 in past comes from increased volcanic explosions that are a consequence of sun's extreme activity warming up Earth's core, and not actual cause of the temperature increase... ozone layer is another story as it does keep Earth from warming up and is now damaged by our activity, but not due to CO2 increase, but because of massive use of other gasses (e.g ones based on chlorine (Cl), and bromine (Br). ) that damage it

This thread has been viewed 9167 times.

Back