Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
According to the BBC:

BBC said:
More French people live in London than in Bordeaux, Nantes or Strasbourg and some now regard it as France's sixth biggest city in terms of population.
London has a long-standing French community - but it is no longer confined to the streets around the embassy in South Kensington, where you will find French bookshops, patisseries and pavement cafes patronised by impeccably dressed mothers dropping off their children at the posh Lycee Francais Charles de Gaulle.
The French consulate in London estimates between 300,000 and 400,000 French citizens live in the British capital - many in London's cutting-edge creative hub, in the East End.

I had heard before on French TV that there were about 400,000 French citizens in London, but that doesn't make of London the sixth biggest French city in the world. The BBC somewhat got their numbers wrong. I don't know how they made their ranking. If we look at communes (municipalities) only, which is merely an administrative division based on the historical city limits, London would be the fifth city in number French citizens. But that is a fallacious way of counting since the French communes would be the equivalent of the City of London (where almost nobody lives), not the Greater London. If you look at the urban agglomerations, even with the top figure of 400,000, London's French community would only rank 11th against French cities, and 16th worldwide if we count Brussels, Liège, Charleroi, Québec and Montréal, whose French-speaking populations all exceed 400,000.

Still, it's impressive that 400,000 Frenchies would want to trade France for the British weather and food, and London's high prices. But having lived in London myself, I can certainly understand them... :giggle:

According to the BBC:

I had heard before on French TV that there were about 400,000 French citizens in London, but that doesn't make of London the sixth biggest French city in the world. The BBC somewhat got their numbers wrong. I don't know how they made their ranking. If we look at communes (municipalities) only, which is merely an administrative division based on the historical city limits, London would be the fifth city in number French citizens. But that is a fallacious way of counting since the French communes would be the equivalent of the City of London (where almost nobody lives), not the Greater London. If you look at the urban agglomerations, even with the top figure of 400,000, London's French community would only rank 11th against French cities, and 16th worldwide if we count Brussels, Liège, Charleroi, Québec and Montréal, whose French-speaking populations all exceed 400,000.

Still, it's impressive that 400,000 Frenchies would want to trade France for the British weather and food, and London's high prices. But having lived in London myself, I can certainly understand them... :giggle:

with this, then London needs a name change !! .............find a gallic name

What's the current reality following initial speculation that France's rich would desert France for London following Hollande's election and his wealth tax?

Oh so the French do like the English now ¬_¬.

Looks like a major migration.

with this, then London needs a name change !! .............find a gallic name

Lol trust the French to get an imperialistic hard-on over having an expat community/economic migrants. Anyhowways, the French can't even find befitting full Gallic names for the places in Flanders and Elsass-Lothringen they have tried to Frenchify.

According to the BBC:

Knowing French nationalism to be such a size-queen I don't believe there are 10 French cities with a population over 400'000...in the game there's only: Bordèu, Tolosa, Nizza(?), Marselha, Lyons, Paris, Rijsel and Rouens(?)

anglo-french-flag.JPG

Britain's got a new flag, and London's got a brand new name! Coming in September of 2013:

Londres de Charles De Gaulle

Those are huge numbers. Not too surprising that there is a large population considering the French have direct and quick access through a tunnel via train and car. Though the size is really impressive.

Guys, Honestly speaking I have no idea about it that London is France's Sixth biggest city. But now i am very curious to know about the reality of the statement. So you can clarify my doubts.

This thread has been viewed 17230 times.

Back