Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: The most annoying travellers poll...

  1. #1
    Elite member Cimmerianbloke's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-06-11
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    332


    Ethnic group
    Latin-Germanic
    Country: Germany - Berlin



    1 members found this post helpful.

    The most annoying travellers poll...

    Below is TripAdvisor.com's Top 10 Most Annoying Travellers, from a 2008 survey of 8,931 travelers:

    #01 - Americans @ 18%
    #02 - French @ 12%
    #03 - Germans @ 10%
    #04 - British @ 6%
    #05 - Chinese @ 6%
    #06 - Russians @ 5%
    #07 - Japanese @ 5%
    #08 - Italians @ 5%
    #09 - Indians @ 2%
    #10 - Emiratees @1%

    I could not find anything more recent. I love the gap between the US and the French though...

  2. #2
    Advisor LeBrok's Avatar
    Join Date
    18-11-09
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    10,295

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b Z2109
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1c

    Ethnic group
    Citizen of the world
    Country: Canada-Alberta



    Interesting. Was there extra info "in what way" they were annoying?
    General dislike of a nation, too many tourists from certain country, loud laughing, rude behaviour, cheap tippers?
    Be wary of people who tend to glorify the past, underestimate the present, and demonize the future.

  3. #3
    Elite member Cimmerianbloke's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-06-11
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    332


    Ethnic group
    Latin-Germanic
    Country: Germany - Berlin



    I found the poll results on a travel photography blog, and the original poll is no more available on the TripAdvisor website, but I managed to find this, that was part of the original poll:

    Top Travel Annoyances

    1. Children kicking your seat back 31%
    2. Rude seat recliners 21%
    3. Loud mobile phone conversations 16%
    4. Passengers taking too long to stow overhead baggage 12%
    5. People getting up before the seatbelt sign is off 5%
    6. Armrest hogs 4%
    7. Passengers consuming smelly food 4%
    8. Travellers blocking moving walkways 3%
    9. “Shoulder surfers” reading over your shoulder 1%
    10. People wandering in front of airport service carts 1%

  4. #4
    Junior Member Monsieur Ennui's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-08-12
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    5


    Ethnic group
    Irish, English, French, German, Polish, Russian, Jewish
    Country: USA - New York



    I've noticed that American and French tourists both seem to speak rather loudly in their native tongues about other people. I know Americans do this, thinking no one understands English. When I was in Barcelona, I stayed in a hostel room with 11 French people. They were gossiping about me and America, thinking I could not understand (I played "dumb American", communicating only in broken Spanish and English while there. I kept French in my back pocket only if needed in an emergency.) On my last day there I struck up conversation with the girl in the bunk below me, in French. She was rather shocked that I could speak any other language then she told me she couldn't stand my accent.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    03-07-12
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    305

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    I-m223
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H64

    Ethnic group
    Irish, English, French, German, Swedish, and Finnish
    Country: United States



    Quote Originally Posted by Cimmerianbloke View Post
    Below is TripAdvisor.com's Top 10 Most Annoying Travellers, from a 2008 survey of 8,931 travelers:

    #01 - Americans @ 18%
    #02 - French @ 12%
    #03 - Germans @ 10%
    #04 - British @ 6%
    #05 - Chinese @ 6%
    #06 - Russians @ 5%
    #07 - Japanese @ 5%
    #08 - Italians @ 5%
    #09 - Indians @ 2%
    #10 - Emiratees @1%

    I could not find anything more recent. I love the gap between the US and the French though...
    Germans are pretty obnoxious when they come to America for tourism. When I've been in Europe, I've disliked the Chinese tourists the most.

  6. #6
    Satyavrata Maciamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    17-07-02
    Location
    Lothier
    Posts
    9,411


    Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic
    Country: Belgium - Brussels



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Here in Belgium, American and the Japanese tourists and expats have the reputation for being 'high maintenance', and asking much more questions about every little practical detail than anybody else (instead of trying to find out by themselves). I am pretty sure that is because the USA and Japan are service societies, and people there are used to have everything done for them by professionals. Europeans are very different in that regard, much more independent-minded. Whether they are from the north or the south, from west or the east, Europeans don't vary much on this point. Europeans prefer to do things themselves than to have to pay for someone to do it for them. That's why relocation services in Europe are mostly for Americans, Japanese, and perhaps other Asians (China, India, Emirates).

    American and Japanese tourists to Europe are also much more likely to travel in groups (organised tours) than by themselves. Once again, the service society... I noticed that people travelling in group (whatever the nationality) tend to be noisier (individually) and care less about locals and local sensitivities, probably because they feel protected by the group and form a sort of 'cultural bubble' impervious to their surrounding. Someone travelling alone will have to "fit in", to observe locals and try to speak the country's language. Within a group of compatriots with a guide doing the communication with the locals for you, you can behave just like in your country and not care about where you are.


    As far as individual travellers are concerned, I have noticed that the Americans and the French are much more likely to complain about all sorts of things. This is something that they also do a lot in their country (the French are râleurs* by nature). But it may also be due to the fact that they both regard their culture as superior to anybody else, and consequently feel entitled to tell others how they should do things.

    The Italians tend to compare everything to Italy and are a bit too set in their ways and habits, which makes them rather inflexible when travelling abroad.

    The Indians can be annoying because they like to negotiate for everything and take their time to make a decision. They are usually not very familiar with European cultures and are more likely to break cultural conventions and taboos (but not as much as the Chinese, who really live on their own planet).


    * there isn't a proper English translation. Grumpy, complaining about everything all the time.
    My book selection---Follow me on Facebook and Twitter --- My profile on Academia.edu and on ResearchGate ----Check Wa-pedia's Japan Guide
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

  7. #7
    Satyavrata Maciamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    17-07-02
    Location
    Lothier
    Posts
    9,411


    Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic
    Country: Belgium - Brussels



    Quote Originally Posted by Cimmerianbloke View Post
    I found the poll results on a travel photography blog, and the original poll is no more available on the TripAdvisor website, but I managed to find this, that was part of the original poll:

    Top Travel Annoyances

    1. Children kicking your seat back 31%
    2. Rude seat recliners 21%
    3. Loud mobile phone conversations 16%
    4. Passengers taking too long to stow overhead baggage 12%
    5. People getting up before the seatbelt sign is off 5%
    6. Armrest hogs 4%
    7. Passengers consuming smelly food 4%
    8. Travellers blocking moving walkways 3%
    9. “Shoulder surfers” reading over your shoulder 1%
    10. People wandering in front of airport service carts 1%
    So that's essentially an poll about aeroplane passengers, not travellers in the main sense of the word.

  8. #8
    Regular Member Yetos's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-10-11
    Location
    Makedonia
    Posts
    5,843

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    G2a3a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    X2b

    Ethnic group
    Makedonian original
    Country: Greece



    The most annoying travellers are the one who travel with out a wash,
    are the one who travel not for tourism, journey, fun but for other reasons,
    and have the demand to know their culture,

    the most annoying hosts are the ones who know that you speak 2-3 languages but not their own, and no matter they speak the other languages they want you to speak their own,
    ΟΘΕΝ ΑΙΔΩΣ OY EINAI
    ΑΤΗ ΛΑΜΒΑΝΕΙΝ ΑΥΤΟΙΣ
    ΥΒΡΙΣ ΓΕΝΝΑΤΑΙ
    ΝΕΜΕΣΙΣ ΚΑΙ ΤΙΣΗ ΑΚΟΛΟΥΘΟΥΣΙ ΔΕ

    When there is no shame
    Divine blindness conquers them
    Hybris (abuse, opprombium) is born
    Nemesis and punishment follows.

    Εχε υπομονη Ηρωα
    Η τιμωρια δεν αργει.

  9. #9
    Elite member hope's Avatar
    Join Date
    19-02-12
    Posts
    715


    Country: UK - Northern Ireland



    Two things not listed, but which I find very annoying are, passengers who use too much heavy perfume or aftershave and fill the cabin with the scent for the duration of flight. Second, and worse, are those who see you travelling alone and insist on "bringing" you into their conversation, chat non-stop for three hours and make you feel obliged to nod and smile at the right point of said conversation.
    Last edited by hope; 06-08-12 at 02:03.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    03-07-12
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    305

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    I-m223
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H64

    Ethnic group
    Irish, English, French, German, Swedish, and Finnish
    Country: United States



    Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo View Post
    Here in Belgium, American and the Japanese tourists and expats have the reputation for being 'high maintenance', and asking much more questions about every little practical detail than anybody else (instead of trying to find out by themselves). I am pretty sure that is because the USA and Japan are service societies, and people there are used to have everything done for them by professionals. Europeans are very different in that regard, much more independent-minded. Whether they are from the north or the south, from west or the east, Europeans don't vary much on this point. Europeans prefer to do things themselves than to have to pay for someone to do it for them. That's why relocation services in Europe are mostly for Americans, Japanese, and perhaps other Asians (China, India, Emirates).

    American and Japanese tourists to Europe are also much more likely to travel in groups (organised tours) than by themselves. Once again, the service society... I noticed that people travelling in group (whatever the nationality) tend to be noisier (individually) and care less about locals and local sensitivities, probably because they feel protected by the group and form a sort of 'cultural bubble' impervious to their surrounding. Someone travelling alone will have to "fit in", to observe locals and try to speak the country's language. Within a group of compatriots with a guide doing the communication with the locals for you, you can behave just like in your country and not care about where you are.


    As far as individual travellers are concerned, I have noticed that the Americans and the French are much more likely to complain about all sorts of things. This is something that they also do a lot in their country (the French are râleurs* by nature). But it may also be due to the fact that they both regard their culture as superior to anybody else, and consequently feel entitled to tell others how they should do things.

    The Italians tend to compare everything to Italy and are a bit too set in their ways and habits, which makes them rather inflexible when travelling abroad.

    The Indians can be annoying because they like to negotiate for everything and take their time to make a decision. They are usually not very familiar with European cultures and are more likely to break cultural conventions and taboos (but not as much as the Chinese, who really live on their own planet).


    * there isn't a proper English translation. Grumpy, complaining about everything all the time.
    In the US, the Germans tend to react in a way you describe. Excluding perhaps their penchant for renting motorcycles in some areas of the country. Also, the Chinese in the European areas I've been.

  11. #11
    Elite member Cimmerianbloke's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-06-11
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    332


    Ethnic group
    Latin-Germanic
    Country: Germany - Berlin



    Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo View Post
    Here in Belgium, American and the Japanese tourists and expats have the reputation for being 'high maintenance', and asking much more questions about every little practical detail than anybody else (instead of trying to find out by themselves). I am pretty sure that is because the USA and Japan are service societies, and people there are used to have everything done for them by professionals. Europeans are very different in that regard, much more independent-minded. Whether they are from the north or the south, from west or the east, Europeans don't vary much on this point. Europeans prefer to do things themselves than to have to pay for someone to do it for them. That's why relocation services in Europe are mostly for Americans, Japanese, and perhaps other Asians (China, India, Emirates).

    American and Japanese tourists to Europe are also much more likely to travel in groups (organised tours) than by themselves. Once again, the service society... I noticed that people travelling in group (whatever the nationality) tend to be noisier (individually) and care less about locals and local sensitivities, probably because they feel protected by the group and form a sort of 'cultural bubble' impervious to their surrounding. Someone travelling alone will have to "fit in", to observe locals and try to speak the country's language. Within a group of compatriots with a guide doing the communication with the locals for you, you can behave just like in your country and not care about where you are.


    As far as individual travellers are concerned, I have noticed that the Americans and the French are much more likely to complain about all sorts of things. This is something that they also do a lot in their country (the French are râleurs* by nature). But it may also be due to the fact that they both regard their culture as superior to anybody else, and consequently feel entitled to tell others how they should do things.

    The Italians tend to compare everything to Italy and are a bit too set in their ways and habits, which makes them rather inflexible when travelling abroad.

    The Indians can be annoying because they like to negotiate for everything and take their time to make a decision. They are usually not very familiar with European cultures and are more likely to break cultural conventions and taboos (but not as much as the Chinese, who really live on their own planet).


    * there isn't a proper English translation. Grumpy, complaining about everything all the time.
    Spot on... I've been a hotel receptionist for 10 years now, I come to the same conclusions.

  12. #12
    Junior Member RosenBlues's Avatar
    Join Date
    22-07-13
    Posts
    7


    Country: Belgium - Brussels



    Fascinating observation. Does age play any role in the matter?

  13. #13
    Regular Member Cambrius (The Red)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    27-06-09
    Posts
    2,640

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b (RL-21*)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H3

    Ethnic group
    Gallaecian Celtic
    Country: USA - Ohio



    Americans from Texas.

  14. #14
    Regular Member errantbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-10-13
    Posts
    33


    Country: Seychelles



    Tricky ranking.Some societies can afford to travel around the world more than others.

  15. #15
    Regular Member Cambrius (The Red)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    27-06-09
    Posts
    2,640

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b (RL-21*)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H3

    Ethnic group
    Gallaecian Celtic
    Country: USA - Ohio



    Americans from the south or Texas are especially annoying on international flights ... loud.

  16. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    03-10-13
    Posts
    8


    Country: Estonia



    I don't know much about Americans but I have some experience with Britain people and man they can be some loud crowd.

  17. #17
    Regular Member ebAmerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-07-12
    Posts
    226

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b- P312
    MtDNA haplogroup
    T2E2

    Ethnic group
    German and Swedish
    Country: USA - Colorado



    A sure sign an American traveler will be annoying - look at their shoes. If he/she is wearing tennis shoes (dressed down) watch out, lol. When ever I travel abroad I try to look stylish, and fit in with the culture. The younger generation of American travelers, I believe, have a better understanding of European etiquette. I do agree with Maciamo on American tourist groups, or any tourist groups. They are obnoxious. In my opinion, the Asian Tourist groups are 100 times worst then any American group. I was in Lucerne Switzerland and this tourist group of Asians (30 people) were looking at the Lion Monument and this little old Asian woman made the most horrible chocking noise before letting loose the nastiest loogie on the ground in front of everybody. I was jaw dropped by the lack of decency.

  18. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    03-10-13
    Posts
    8


    Country: Estonia



    I dont want to be rude but I have had some really bad experiences with Asian people, you can explain same thing 1000 times and they still dont get it.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    09-10-13
    Posts
    15


    Country: India



    Annoying travelers include little children, people who talk loudly on mobile phones, passengers eating smelly food etc

Similar Threads

  1. Smoking poll, do you smoke?
    By Tokis-Phoenix in forum Psychology
    Replies: 89
    Last Post: 10-12-19, 11:36
  2. Poll: What will Ötzi's Y-DNA haplogroup be?
    By sparkey in forum Y-DNA Haplogroups
    Replies: 80
    Last Post: 02-11-19, 16:39
  3. How European are you? The Guardian poll
    By Cimmerianbloke in forum European Culture & History
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-02-12, 02:12
  4. Annoying phrases
    By Mycernius in forum Linguistics
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 08-05-05, 10:51

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •