Searching for famous I2 carriers

Though it is unlikely to be connected solely to their Y-dna, I find the facial correspondences among the men in your collage remarkable (lower cheek, mouth).

I don't normally subscribe to haplogroups-determining-phenotypes hypotheses, but it's worth exploring. Do you think the phenotypes become even closer if we narrow down to subclades?:

famousi2subs.png

Update: Big find! Added Sir Henry Clinton.

Fun fact: The closest match on ySearch to Sir Henry Clinton's descendant is a relative of Henry Luce.

Lot of military related folks :) must be a genetic trait ;)

Sure, I can talk to him at some point. Would he know about Tesla though? I don't remember seeing Tesla mentioned on MolGen (it isn't loading for me right now so maybe I just missed it). Where did you find out about Tesla being I2? He's the one I really want to confirm now.

Well
I can't remember where I've read about that but some guy wrote that he is an I2 (according to some his relatives).
he didn't left children so it would be hard to determine his haplogroup.

Update: Added Buldakov, Makarevich, and Titov, after confirming with Vadim Verenich that they all tested personally via either Genis or NG, and all were I2a-Din-N. No confirmation on Tesla yet, though.

Lot of military related folks :) must be a genetic trait ;)

It would be even much more when we get some more data about south Slavs. They enjoy to fight between themselves :)

The best warriors from former Yugoslavia are exactly from the region with the highest percentage of I2.

Update: A fun one this time. Added Stephen Colbert.

Current subclade breakdown:
I2a1b (L178+): 7
I2a2a (M223+): 4
I2c (L596+): 2

Current ethnic origin breakdown:
English: 4
Russian: 3
Cossack, Georgian, Hungarian, Irish, Scottish, Swiss: 1 each

Still badly unrepresented are I2a1a folk and South Slavs.

Update: A fun one this time. Added Stephen Colbert.

Current subclade breakdown:
I2a1b (L178+): 7
I2a2a (M223+): 4
I2c (L596+): 2

Current ethnic origin breakdown:
English: 4
Russian: 3
Cossack, Georgian, Hungarian, Irish, Scottish, Swiss: 1 each

Still badly unrepresented are I2a1a folk and South Slavs.

I thought Stephen Colbert was r1b? He had Spencer Wells on his show one time.

I thought Stephen Colbert was r1b? He had Spencer Wells on his show one time.

His mtDNA was directly tested on that show, and he turned out to carry mtDNA haplogroup K. His Y-DNA wasn't mentioned.

Admitted, a single proven 4th cousin (and some suspected 5th cousins also getting the I2a-Isles) is somewhat shaky ground, but the genealogy looks pretty solid. I'm comparing the tester's tree here with Stephen's tree here. Of course, there could be a wrong step in the genealogy somewhere, or a NPE, so if you've got the results from a direct Y-DNA test of Stephen somewhere and it contradicts me, I'll take him off the list.

But otherwise, I'm pretty sure he's I2a-Isles. (y)

Apologies, my mistake. I thought I read he was R1b somewhere but after searching I can't find anything to back it up. It's strange Wells only gave him his mtDNA result on the show.
Cool find.

Update: Added Eraserhead star Jack Nance. Definitely a face we needed in that collage. Looks like he's on the same Y line as Eupedia poster Chris Nance.

I don't know if he qualifies (although he does have a wiki page) but the president of North-Ossetia Republic in Russia is I2 and according to Ken Nordtvedt I2c-B :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taymuraz_Mamsurov

Great find! I think he counts. When did KN say that? In a personal correspondence, or do you have a link that I can add?

Also, here's an updated subclade collage:

famousi2subs.jpg

Thanks. The connection between the Caucasian branch of I2c-B and nobility continues to be surprisingly tight.

Even more....

[h=1]Hasan Jalal Dola
[/h]
Hasan Jalal Dola (Vahtangyan; mind. After 1261 was, Qazvin ) - Armenian suzerain prince Khachen . Came from the Armenian princely Aranshahiks. The founder of the princely family Hasan Dzhalalyanov .

http://translate.google.com/transla...B0%D0%BB%D0%B0%D0%BB_%D0%94%D0%BE%D0%BB%D0%B0

http://forum.molgen.org/index.php/topic,57.msg151462.html#msg151462

http://www.familytreedna.com/public/ArmeniaDNAProject/default.aspx?section=ysnp

Even more....

Hasan Jalal Dola

Should I promote him from a maybe to a definite? It looks like a third claimant of descent from him has tested as I2c. I've kept him in the maybes until now because one Hasan-Jalalyan (kit #149198) tested as R1b... but it looks like the evidence is that one does not descend from Hasan-Jalal Dawla himself.

And while we're on the topic of I2c... can anyone find a genealogy for Ryan Sweeting? I'm trying to see if he matches with a Bahamian Sweeting who tested as I2c1.

Should I promote him from a maybe to a definite?

Just as a strong candidate for now, I think.
If this become truth, it will be very interesting because we'd have too much of Caucasian I2c nobility :)

Last edited:
George Washington Carver's adoptive father Moses Carver was of a line of Carvers said to be of German descent originally from Pennsylvania by way of North Carolina. Since Carver is a known variant of Garber and I have matches with several NC Carvers, there is at least half a chance that he too is I2c. Haven't found test results for any of his line as yet.

If I ever do prove a genetic connection you may add him to your list of semi-famous I2.

This is an interesting thread. I tested I2 M223+ and some of my matches claim to be related to Davy Crockett. I looked at the Crockett Surname Project page for FTDNA and there are, in fact, quite a few Crocketts that tested I2 M223+.

This thread has been viewed 223571 times.

Back