Searching for famous I2 carriers

This is an interesting thread. I tested I2 M223+ and some of my matches claim to be related to Davy Crockett. I looked at the Crockett Surname Project page for FTDNA and there are, in fact, quite a few Crocketts that tested I2 M223+.

That's a really incredible find if true. I'll do some follow-up research in the next few days, when I find time. (y)

Update: Added Davy Crockett! The Crockett Families DNA Project is pretty unambiguous about which group of Crocketts are related to Davy:

Y-DNA results at the 25-marker level indicate that 31306, 31248, 31269 and 32187 are closely related. All claim to be descendents of David Crockett the elder (c1727-1777)—31248 through son William, 32187 through son John, 31269 through son Joseph, and 31306 through son Alexander. The Y-DNA results seem to support the genealogical claims. It is possible that the MRCA lived one or two generations earlier than David the elder. However, in the absence of any other candidate who fits the genealogy, David the elder appears to be the MRCA for 31306, 31248, 31269 and 32187.

John, son of David Crockett the elder, was Davy Crockett's father. So, Davy is as good as proven to be I2-M223.

Worth noting: One guy I know of as I2c*-A, but who isn't (yet) famous by my standards, is American football placekicker Cody Parkey. He has been in the news lately, though, so maybe he'll be noteworthy enough soon.

Back to Davy Crockett... I'm curious as to how famous he is worldwide. Because on the current list, he is by far the most famous in America. I don't know who would even be second place, but whoever it is, isn't close to him for first. Is that true elsewhere in the world as well? Perhaps Horthy is more well known in some places in Europe?

I think Fess Parker is more famous. Davie, Davie Crockett the king of the wild frontier! :LOL:

Worth noting: One guy I know of as I2c*-A, but who isn't (yet) famous by my standards, is American football placekicker Cody Parkey. He has been in the news lately, though, so maybe he'll be noteworthy enough soon.

Back to Davy Crockett... I'm curious as to how famous he is worldwide. Because on the current list, he is by far the most famous in America. I don't know who would even be second place, but whoever it is, isn't close to him for first. Is that true elsewhere in the world as well? Perhaps Horthy is more well known in some places in Europe?
Mmm, I've heard about Crockett first time here (shame on me), but certainly I knew Horthy (even from school times :))

Oh Davy Crockett is very well known in my neck of the woods, he was from Ulster/Scots...Scotch/Irish descent was he not? :)

Hello,
According to Michael R. Maglio, Myles Standish was I2a (I'm not able to post links but visit his website originhunters dot blospot dot de ,its on the first page). I'm still looking for a dna profile but i couldnt find one :/

Hello,
According to Michael R. Maglio, Myles Standish was I2a (I'm not able to post links but visit his website originhunters dot blospot dot de ,its on the first page). I'm still looking for a dna profile but i couldnt find one :/

The link to Maglio's writeup is here. Maglio is wrong, though... I just confirmed via the STRs available at the Mayflower DNA Project that Standish was not the same sort of I2a as found in the Balkans, or even I2a at all if we're going by FTDNA nomenclature. Apparently, he was I2 L38+ (I2a2b in ISOGG nomenclature), and the first famous person I've seen from that group so far.

Thanks for the find. Added him.

Also, here is a tree of famous I2 carriers to let everyone visualize how all these people are related:

famousi2tree.gif

Anthony Leonid Turkevich
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_L._Turkevich

I2 Dinaric

Anthony Leonid Turkevich
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_L._Turkevich

I2 Dinaric

Good find. I take it he was a known descendant of Kiril Turkevich, same as kit no. 256403 in the RussiaDNA Project? Have any sources to confirm it?

Good find. I take it he was a known descendant of Kiril Turkevich, same as kit no. 256403 in the RussiaDNA Project? Have any sources to confirm it?

Yes, I believe it is his son Leonid who was tested by FTDNA, although the full name doesn't appear on the project page.

Yes, I believe it is his son Leonid who was tested by FTDNA, although the full name doesn't appear on the project page.

Thanks, I added Anthony and his father Leonty.

Update: Added Eddie Izzard, the famous English comedian. For anyone interested, look for Meet the Izzards, a documentary series starring Eddie where he explores his genetic heritage. Episode 2 is about his Y line. (And the interpretations are relatively reasonable!)

Update: Added Huey Long.

I saw the movie with Roderick Crawford as the Kingfish as a child so didn't understand much but a second screening by DVD courtesy of a Library loan I began to appreciate him much more. Great guy. His rival was for the presidential office was Franklin Delano Roosevelt. He was gunned down before he could go further.

Update: Added Andrew Johnson. Our first discovered I2 US President!

And an updated relationship tree:

famousi2tree.gif

Yet another update: Added Douglas Douglas-Hamilton and the rest of the noble Douglas-Hamilton family.

This thread has been viewed 223567 times.

Back