Searching for famous I2 carriers

23andme has Stephen Colbert listed as R1b. :confused:

Do they say how they know? He would be the only non-I2 I've seen in his particular Colbert line, which would indicate a NPE fairly recently in his family if they have proof that he's R1b, like through a direct sample.

EDIT: Yep, direct testing via the Faces of America program. I'll take him out.

It seems I found another famous carrier of I2, this time from France (needs to be checked).

Paul Reynaud, PM of France during the war, I2b2.

At least some Claude Reynaud b. 1620 in Bâtie Montgascon, Rhône-Alpes is mentioned at ftdna website. Paul Reynaud came from Barcelonnette, Basses-Alpes.

It seems I found another famous carrier of I2, this time from France (needs to be checked).

Paul Reynaud, PM of France during the war, I2b2.

At least some Claude Reynaud b. 1620 in Bâtie Montgascon, Rhône-Alpes is mentioned at ftdna website. Paul Reynaud came from Barcelonnette, Basses-Alpes.

Can you find a family tree for Paul that connects him to Claude? I'm having trouble doing so. I may put him in the maybes if I see something a bit more convincing.

Minor update: Demoted Hannibal Hamlin to the maybes. I've become more hesitant about him after reading the research of Bob Hamlin.

Now, can anyone who understands Serbian help me understand if there is anything groundbreaking in this article?: http://www.poreklo.rs/2012/10/13/genetsko-poreklo-vojvode-zivojina-misica/

Can we say with reasonable confidence that Živojin Mišić was I2a-Din-S? Or is this just guessing?

No, it is not just guessing. Živojin Mišić's cousins from the male side were tested as I2a Dinaric South. And not only that, with the help of genetics the link between Mišić and one more serbian family- Božović from region of Ibarski Kolašin was established.
There was just a legend that Mišić and Božović family descend from a single person (serbian warrior) with name Captain Gojko who lived in 15th century. It seems that genetics proved that legend since the both Mišićs and Božovićs are I2a Dinaric South with quite close haplotypes. The text above compare that linkage.

There is some more information on serbian field marshal or voyvoda Živojin Mišić
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Živojin_Mišić

No, it is not just guessing. Živojin Mišić's cousins from the male side were tested as I2a Dinaric South. And not only that, with the help of genetics the link between Mišić and one more serbian family- Božović from region of Ibarski Kolašin was established.
There was just a legend that Mišić and Božović family descend from a single person (serbian warrior) with name Captain Gojko who lived in 15th century. It seems that genetics proved that legend since the both Mišićs and Božovićs are I2a Dinaric South with quite close haplotypes. The text above compare that linkage.

There is some more information on serbian field marshal or voyvoda Živojin Mišić
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Živojin_Mišić

Awesome, thanks! Added Živojin Mišić. Finally, a well confirmed I2a-Din-S from the Balkans!

I've spent a bit of time looking for famous I2-M26, but still little luck. I am considering adding Bernardo de Miera y Pacheco, whose direct descendants have tested I2>M26>Z106, although he doesn't quite fit my minimum fame requirement. He doesn't have a Wiki page, but notably, there is a book about him.

Does anyone know of any more famous M26 carriers? At all?

Other than in Sardinia there's a peak of I-M26 samples in central Spain....can be also seen rarely on the British isles or France.

I-M26 is also found in European highs (other than Sardinia's 37-45%) is among men from the Spanish portion of the Pyrenees mountains ( 10% in Bortzerriak, Navarra.....another 10% in Chazetania, Aragon then there's slightly higher frequencies 15-20% of I-M26 I believe in the Castille and Leon regions of central Spain; europe's highest frequencies, of course, are found on Sardinia though.

Europe excluding Sardinia's I-M26 frequencies are actually incredibly low, highs of 10-20% across certain regions of Spain; even peninsular Italians have 3-5% I-M26.

Yeah, Basques, Spaniards, and their neighbors, along with Sardinians (of course) have a good deal of I2-M26, but I haven't found any from particularly famous backgrounds. None of the British M26 lineages are famous either, as far as I can tell.

Here is a Russian wiki of Akim Salbiev http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Салбиев,_Аким_Алимбекович

An ethnic Ossetian, he is an honorary artist of Russia, film director and actor. Not sure if he qualifies.
Salbiev clan was tested and they are I2c-B. One has also joined the project.

Cool find! I guess he misses the criteria, though, like Miera y Pachecho.

I guess I could split this into "truly famous" and "other notable" carriers, with less famous folks like Buldakov and Polk getting grouped with Miera y Pacheco and Salbiev. But then who is truly famous? Maybe I could have a top ten, by vote.

So, who are the top ten most famous I2 carriers from my list, according to you? I would rank them something like:

1. Crockett (Davy)
2. Horthy
3. Johnson
4. Clinton (Sir Henry)
5. Mišić
6. Douglas-Hamilton (14th Duke)
7. Standish
8. Izzard
9. Long
10. Biddle (Nicholas)

For reference, the others are (roughly in order of fame according to me):
Luce (Henry)
Walker (Francis)
Tsitsianov
Winchester
Biddle (Anthony)
Yoder (John H)
Clinton (2nd Duke)
Hamilton (10th Duke)
Makarevich
Mamsurov
Titov
Turkevich (Anthony)
Panaskerteli-Tsitsishvili
Nance
Wallace
Biddle (John)
Hamilton (4th Duke)
Clinton (1st Earl)
Polk, Jr.
Biddle (General John)
Miera y Pachecho
Clinton (4th Duke)
Walker (Amasa)
Walker (James)
Luce (Moses)
Turkevich (Leonty)
Buldakov
Salbiev
Walker (Sears)
Luce (Robert)
Petsko
Yoder (Joseph)
Luce (Henry W.)
Crockett (John)
Samson

Last edited:
Yes, I think it's better that way!

Update: Added Francis Amasa Walker.

And here's an updated tree:
c3l.gif

Still looking for anyone's top ten ranking.

Another update: Added Nicholas Biddle.

Update: Added Algernon Edward West, and also added De La Warr to the maybes.

This thread has been viewed 223563 times.

Back