Searching for famous I2 carriers

Minor update: Added Thomas Mudge.

Minor update: Added Thomas Mudge.

Thomas Mudge is a famous person only if you have a real obsession with watches and/or watch making.

Thomas Mudge is a famous person only if you have a real obsession with watches and/or watch making.

He's the guy who invented the "tick tock" sound! Or at least the version of it typically associated with watches.

That said, I stuck him in "Other Notable Scientists & Academics."

Someone pointed me to this Ysearch profile, who could be a descendant of Martin Luther. The haplogroup isn't mentioned but it looks like I2a.

I checked the Luther Surname DNA Project and this haplotype is listed as an unknown Luther line from Germany.

About half of all the Luthers in the project belong to I2a.

According to his genealogy, Martin Luther descends from Wiegand von Luder (c.1396 - c.1456) from Thuringia.

Last edited:
Someone pointed me to this Ysearch profile, who could be a descendant of Martin Luther. The haplogroup isn't mentioned but it looks like I2a.

I checked the Luther Surname DNA Project and this haplotype is listed as an unknown Luther line from Germany.

About half of all the Luthers in the project belong to I2a.

According to his genealogy, Martin Luther descends from Wiegand von Luder (c.1396 - c.1456) from Thuringia.

Thanks, that would be huge if true. The subclade looks to be I2a-Din-N. Could Martin Luther's paternal ancestors have been Polabian Slavs?

That said, I think I'll need to follow up before I determine whether to add him or just put him in the maybes. It looks like there's only one member of the German I2a Luther group who claims any relationship to Martin Luther.

Update: Added Martin Luther per confirmation from his relative Leo Luther, who claims a relationship with high certainty.

Exploring Leo Luther's matches on ySearch turns up a lot of Czechs, Poles, and other Slavs, as well as Germans largely from Silesia and nearby.

Update: Promoted Napoleon III from the maybes to the main list now that the tested descendant has made his STRs public. They indeed get predicted by Cullen's Predictor to be I2-M223 with 100% certainty, and more specifically as I2-M223-Cont2 Z76+ CTS6433+, which probably puts him on the same branch as Davy Crockett.

New wiki wiki/Bernardo_de_Miera_y_Pacheco

fyi

Thanks, I had figured he deserved one. Now the M26 subclade officially has a notable representative who meets my minimum criteria.

Any other famous I2-M26 out there? Anybody?

Presentation of Armenian historian Hovann Simonian in the Library of Congress where he claims that Bagratuni/Bagrationi royal family belonged to I2c. (58:00)

http://youtu.be/etBNo0638Pw

Presentation of Armenian historian Hovann Simonian in the Library of Congress where he claims that Bagratuni/Bagrationi royal family belonged to I2c. (58:00)

http://youtu.be/etBNo0638Pw

Interesting, especially considering how long ago the Bagratuni dynasty was, about 1000 years ago. I'll watch the video later to see how Simonian comes to that conclusion.

OK, I was able to watch the Simonian presentation, and found it convincing in one aspect: That I should promote the House of Hasan-Jalalyan from the maybes to the confirmed. I went ahead and did that.

I think I'll wait to add the Bagratid dynasties, though, considering how far-reaching Simonian's hypothesis is. From what I understand, he's basically arguing that most of I2c-B is Bagratid, based on some hypotheses about the different branches of nobility who carry I2c-B. That requires a more convincing analysis of the phylogeny than he was able to accomplish in a talk, IMHO. So I'll wait for the paper.

OK, I was able to watch the Simonian presentation, and found it convincing in one aspect: That I should promote the House of Hasan-Jalalyan from the maybes to the confirmed. I went ahead and did that.

I think I'll wait to add the Bagratid dynasties, though, considering how far-reaching Simonian's hypothesis is. From what I understand, he's basically arguing that most of I2c-B is Bagratid, based on some hypotheses about the different branches of nobility who carry I2c-B. That requires a more convincing analysis of the phylogeny than he was able to accomplish in a talk, IMHO. So I'll wait for the paper.

I fully agree with you.
More fine-tuning SNP tests need to be done for I2c-B from the Caucasus. And paleo-DNA analysis of Armenian Bagratuni and Georgian Bagrationis prior 12th century.
Fortunately there are lot of confirmed graves of both dynasties, we just need to wait for financing and good will of the authorities.

My father and grandfather resemble Miklós Horthy and Martin Luther (eyes, mouth). Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing :)

Attachments

• 14875672650_31f41e5bb8_o.jpg
    14875672650_31f41e5bb8_o.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 134
Worth noting: One guy I know of as I2c*-A, but who isn't (yet) famous by my standards, is American football placekicker Cody Parkey. He has been in the news lately, though, so maybe he'll be noteworthy enough soon.

Minor update: added this guy now that he is playing professionally and has a Wikipedia page.

Update: Added Enda Kenny. We've known since last year that he is haplogroup I, and apparently Spencer Wells has announced that he is in fact I2-M223>CTS616. That's not precise enough to put into my subclade tree, unfortunately, because CTS616+ is the vast majority of modern I2-M223.

What about the Kulinic noble family and the Kotromanic? Maybe haplogroup i2?

Who knows? I would, of course, be interested in any related test results for these families or anybody else famous who has come up as I2.

Greetings, all. I have Ydna I21/I2a2a. Genealogy indicates common paternal heritage with Niklaus Leuenberger, Swiss national hero of the 1653 Peasant War is probable I2b1/I2a2a. Zimmermans and Millers from N. Switzerland also have been documented as being of this haplogroup; famous folk-rocker Bob Dylan is a Zimmerman. I can think of at least one famous Miller.

This thread has been viewed 223573 times.

Back