Searching for famous I2 carriers

Another update: Added Antoni Stanisław Czetwertyński-Światopełk.

->Giffard (can't post links excuse me, but there's a site on wikipedia)

Seems like all these people have a common ancestor called Robert Gifford/Giffard who was born in 1096.
One descendant has tested I-PF4088 (L160+ M26+), he's in the I2a Project.
Still, very interesting to see M26 associated with norman ancestry.

->Giffard (can't post links excuse me, but there's a site on wikipedia)

Seems like all these people have a common ancestor called Robert Gifford/Giffard who was born in 1096.
One descendant has tested I-PF4088 (L160+ M26+), he's in the I2a Project.
Still, very interesting to see M26 associated with norman ancestry.

The claimant seems to be someone named Jeffords who elsewhere (ySearch ID QED2J) only claims a lineage back to 1714, and the family name was still Jeffords then. So I'm skeptical. But if true, it looks like Hardinge Giffard may be of that lineage. So perhaps I'll add it to the maybes sometime.

To me, that M26 cluster looks more Celtic than anything.

Update: Finally improved the layout, and split the first post into two so the ad doesn't get in the way. Let me know what you think.

Also, added Bernardo Miera y Pacheco, Akim Salbiev, and Rich Mullins.

In the Serbian DNA Project we have recently received results of one Tesla from Lika region who was tested as I2a Dinaric South. Since the tested individual is of the same family from the same place as famous Serbian scientist Nikola Tesla, we can assumed that Nikola Tesla was I2a Dinaric South too. Of course we wait some more Tesla's to be tested, to strenghten our view.
You can see Tesla's results here http://poreklo.rs/srpski-dnk-projekat/
And about Nikola Tesla you may read here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikola_Tesla

In the Serbian DNA Project we have recently received results of one Tesla from Lika region who was tested as I2a Dinaric South. Since the tested individual is of the same family from the same place as famous Serbian scientist Nikola Tesla, we can assumed that Nikola Tesla was I2a Dinaric South too. Of course we wait some more Tesla's to be tested, to strenghten our view.
You can see Tesla's results here http://poreklo.rs/srpski-dnk-projekat/
And about Nikola Tesla you may read here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikola_Tesla

Wow, not just the same region, but the same exact tiny village as Nikola Tesla's ancestors! Rare name, tiny village... that's pretty conclusive. I'm tempted to go ahead and add him and only remove him if contradictory results come in.

Updating now...

The claimant seems to be someone named Jeffords who elsewhere (ySearch ID QED2J) only claims a lineage back to 1714, and the family name was still Jeffords then. So I'm skeptical. But if true, it looks like Hardinge Giffard could be of that lineage. So perhaps I'll add it to the maybes sometime.

To me, that M26 cluster looks more Celtic than anything.

You're probably right, there is like 4-5% I-M26 in Normandy but the Jeffords sample doesn't match them very closely. Still weird that he uses 2 different ancestors. About the cluster i'm skeptical, the genetic distance between the individuals seems to high to link it with celts. I think it's still too ancient.
But still, great find with Nikola Tesla, surely the most famous I2.

Armature; you are I-M26?

Last edited:
Wow! If someone is powerful and Georgian, they must be I2c.

I'm having trouble finding a Zhordania or Jordania in FTDNA projects. Is this a 23andMe result or something?

EDIT: Is he ySearch DUPCV?

Indeed we rule! :) :)

Yes, DUPCV is him. In coming months his result will be available on FTDNA too.

Indeed we rule! :) :)

Yes, DUPCV is him. In coming months his result will be available on FTDNA too.

Great! Adding Noe Zhordania now.

DUPCV has odd STR marker choices that make his result almost indistinguishable from a G2a result. I guess DYS385a=12 gives him away as I2c? Any idea if he's had SNP tests yet? The FTDNA results may be needed to clear all doubt if he hasn't.

Great! Adding Noe Zhordania now.

DUPCV has odd STR marker choices that make his result almost indistinguishable from a G2a result. I guess DYS385a=12 gives him away as I2c? Any idea if he's had SNP tests yet? The FTDNA results may be needed to clear all doubt if he hasn't.
No SNP tests so far but they are planned.
His closest match is Tsistsishvili and other persons from that cluster.
Yes, they are using that weird sequence of 17 STR markers :/

No SNP tests so far but they are planned.
His closest match is Tsistsishvili and other persons from that cluster.
Yes, they are using that weird sequence of 17 STR markers :/

OK, let me know when the earliest new STR or SNP results come in, and hopefully he's not a G2a that just looks like an I2c. He's awfully close to ySearch 8H7ZR as is.

OK, let me know when the earliest new STR or SNP results come in, and hopefully he's not a G2a that just looks like an I2c. He's awfully close to ySearch 8H7ZR as is.

I see.. right.
I'll do that!

My y-haplogroup ist I2a2a (M223). My ancestors came from south-lower saxony, west of the Harzmountains, east of the river Weser in Germany. This is the absolut hotspot of my haplogroup in the world.
Now my question: Why does nobody find any famous I2a2a (M223) carriers from (north)-Germany? Perhapst the Germans made less DNA-Tests than English or American?

Why does nobody find any famous I2a2a (M223) carriers from (north)-Germany? Perhapst the Germans made less DNA-Tests than English or American?

I think you've got it exactly right. Americans test the most by far, and even among Americans, those with English and Scottish ancestors are the most likely to test. I think Americans with colonial ancestry are also more likely than most other ethnic groups to be traceably related to a lot of people on their patriline, so there's a higher chance that one of them will be famous.

You may be interested in the episode "The Dad's Line" of Meet the Izzards, where famous I2-M223 carrier Eddie Izzard finds that he is related to some M223 carriers with origins in Germany, and he meets one or two of them. They weren't famous, though, and I forget which region of Germany their ancestors were from.

Update: Added J. Gordon Coogler. My finding him was inspired by Hesse's request to look for some Germans. His line is German (originally Kugler) and the first notable German I2 I've found. Although, he's probably not what Hesse was looking for--he's not particularly famous and is famous for the wrong reasons, his ancestors are probably from southwest Germany rather than north Germany, and he's I2a-Din, not I2-M223, in fact a very unusual case of I2a-Din from early America.

Does anybody know the haplogroups of the Dukes of Brunswick-Lueneburg /Brunswick-Wolfenb?ttel - the also became Kings of England (for example King Georg) in the 18th century? They all came from Lower Saxony in Germany - perhapst they are I2a2a.

This thread has been viewed 223954 times.

Back