Help in defining my R1b haplogroup

You are a "Mediterranean?" ; no. You are west European. You are certainly within R-M269 at it's more advanced stages such as R-S21, R-S28, R-L21 etc; you share a genetic group with most Irish, English, welsh, Scottish, Belgian, Dutch, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Swiss and many Germans and Italians as well. It is a very European genetic marker; as is your U5. Just that P-312 reaches a percentage climax (only in its most basal form) on the Iberian peninsula (Spain,Portugal) (80-90% of their R1b is P-312*) and in about 40-45% of French R1b samples. Your mtdna is very European as well; although having a more Scandinav distribution in terms of FREQUENCY.

When you are Y-DNA R1b and mind H or I1a and U5; depending on what subclades you belong to, you can assume that's about as European a genetic composition as you can get (depending on what your other haplogroup lineages are).

Your two main lineages give you a "good idea" of who you are but there are many other lineages (mother's paternal for example, or father's maternal mtdna) which you do not know and which most people will never know their entire sequence. But according to what I see from your results; it is deffinetly a full European genome in what concerns your two main lineages.

Sorry for the late post but thank you for all your help Adamo, I appreciate your posts and thank you for clearing thinks up for me. Since Christmas is coming up I think I will do the Population Finder % test on familyDNA and see what it'll match me with. Like to see what northern area of Spain my father's linage came from.

Hey sorry to revive a old thread but on my Haplogroup i have R-U106 and R-U198 so what would that make me?
Thanks for any answers!

23andme cousin

Hi

we share four segment dna on 23andme so we are Third to Fourth degree cousin. I would like to talk with you in private mail.
If someone got his mail thanks a lot.

Hi

we share four segment dna on 23andme so we are Third to Fourth degree cousin. I would like to talk with you in private mail.
If someone got his mail thanks a lot.

I'm afraid we can't help you with that here. We're not mind readers and have no hope of finding people like that unless you provide more information such as a name, username, address, or other piece of identifying information. If you found someone on 23andMe that you think is a match, you should send them a private mail directly or contact 23andMe for help contacting the person.

You did post your message in the "Help in defining my R1b haplogroup" thread, and we can help you in that respect. Your profile lists your y-haplogroup as R1b1b2a1a, which is R-U106 in the ISOGG-2016 standard nomenclature. R-U106 is associated with a Germanic background. Your direct paternal ancestors may have been Germans, Franks, Anglo-Saxons, Burgundians, Goths, Frisians, or Vikings.

I uploaded my 23andme data to FTDNA and I got my Myorigin results back. The following is both my y and mt results.

European: 87%
Southern Europe: 48%
Western and Central Europe: 39%

New World: 7%
Native American: 7%

East Asian: 3%
Northeast Asia: 3%

Middle Eastern: 2%
North Africa: 2%

African: 1%
West Africa: 1%

So what can you all tell me about the results that I got? Is it the average Iberian makeup? Is there a feature on MyOrigin that can separate my y and mt so I can see where each originated? Is there a feature that can show me which countries of Western and Central Europe and Southern Europe I have higher percentage in?

For me, the results show for certain that my phenotype is probably Atlanto-Mediterranid due my high percentages in both South and Western Europe. Also I look uncanny similar to the composite face of a Atlanto-Mediterranid. The areas that Atlanto-Mediterranids cover also matches what GEDMatch always places me as; Spaniard, Portuguese and sometimes Northern Italian. My families history on both sides point to Spain with my maternal side claiming some Portuguese cousins. My father and his side of the family are red haired and I always thought of him as Atlantic Celt and 23andme does give me a some percentage British/Irish yet FTDNA doesn't. My question is am I Atlanto-Mediterranid because both my parents are or is my father Atlantid and my mother Mediterranid?

I believe I mentioned this before but again, I took a Ancestral Origin test and was given a map. It mentions how my population matches more Southern European followed by Northern European. As for my Native Region, it gives me as Northern European. So my question is, which migration of ancient Northern Europeans to Iberia does my personal information match to? With my ydna being R1b, I think the Celts. Both my y and mt show a direct lines in the UK and Northern Italy. My y dna shows two in Spain and my mt dan shows one in Germany, Hungary and Sardinia. I know continental Celts came to Spain and than the British Islands but was there ever an invasion/migration from Britain to Spain in ancient times? I also feel with the high percentage in Italy that perhaps my continental Celt ancestors came from Northern Italy, through Southern France and settled in Spain. I been mistaken for French and Italian and Argentinian before.

I would like to post my 23andme results again on the next post but which one is more useful? Speculative, Standard or Conservative? I plan to upgrade my SNPs in the future and narrow down my haplogroup. I was thinking of getting the y37 and either P312 SNP pack or M343 pack, I really don't know the difference between them other than the price. I'm a P312 and here's the tests I taken so far; [FONT=Open Sans, sans-serif, arial]L1-, L144-, L159-, L165-, L176-, L193-, L196-, L2-, L21-, L4-, M126-, M153-, M160-, M269+, M65-, P312+, U106-, U152-. Any recommendations on which tests to get are welcomed.[/FONT]

Sorry for the long post and thank you all for all the help you have given me in the past.

...With my ydna being R1b, I think the Celts. Both my y and mt show a direct lines in the UK and Northern Italy. My y dna shows two in Spain and my mt dan shows one in Germany, Hungary and Sardinia. I know continental Celts came to Spain and than the British Islands but was there ever an invasion/migration from Britain to Spain in ancient times?...

Your y-DNA is R-P312*, which means that you do not belong to any of the primary downstream mutations of R-P312, including DF27, L21, or U152. This makes it a little harder to match your line. Your ancestor certainly could have been a Celt, but a Roman or a Visigoth would also be plausible.

There may not have been any major movements from Britain to Spain but there was certainly migration. The Roman legions of course provided ample opportunity for a man to "see the world" as they say.

Your y-DNA is R-P312*, which means that you do not belong to any of the primary downstream mutations of R-P312, including DF27, L21, or U152. This makes it a little harder to match your line. Your ancestor certainly could have been a Celt, but a Roman or a Visigoth would also be plausible.

There may not have been any major movements from Britain to Spain but there was certainly migration. The Roman legions of course provided ample opportunity for a man to "see the world" as they say.

Thanks for responding back! I took the FTDNA back in 2012 and at the the time there was no exams for DF27 being done. Now I test available for DF27, DF99, L238, DF19, L194, Z29645, Z30600 and A9063. I know phenotypes and haplogroups are separate things but are there any SNPs considered Atlantid, Atlanto-Mediterranid, Alpinid or Keltid?

Any reason why you suggested Celts, Romans or Visigoths as possible ancestors? I think they are all good options due to their history and impact on Spain. My only question is wouldn't the Visigoth be under the U106 branch due to them being Germanic? Roman seems like a good option but wouldn't they fall under U152, at least the Northern R1b Italians? Is U152 associated with Roman or Cisalpine Gaul people? If indeed I have North Italian history then why did I test negative for the North Italian U152 marker? Were they not part of the Alp cluster and instead lived among the Northern Coasts of Italy and made there way to Spain by boat?

I read on the FTDNA forums that P312+, U106-, U152- are more likely DF99, DF19 or L238. All I know is that all three have been found in Britain in a small number. Does anyone have more information?

Thanks for responding back! I took the FTDNA back in 2012 and at the the time there was no exams for DF27 being done. Now I test available for DF27, DF99, L238, DF19, L194, Z29645, Z30600 and A9063. I know phenotypes and haplogroups are separate things but are there any SNPs considered Atlantid, Atlanto-Mediterranid, Alpinid or Keltid?

Any reason why you suggested Celts, Romans or Visigoths as possible ancestors? I think they are all good options due to their history and impact on Spain. My only question is wouldn't the Visigoth be under the U106 branch due to them being Germanic? Roman seems like a good option but wouldn't they fall under U152, at least the Northern R1b Italians? Is U152 associated with Roman or Cisalpine Gaul people? If indeed I have North Italian history then why did I test negative for the North Italian U152 marker? Were they not part of the Alp cluster and instead lived among the Northern Coasts of Italy and made there way to Spain by boat?

I read on the FTDNA forums that P312+, U106-, U152- are more likely DF99, DF19 or L238. All I know is that all three have been found in Britain in a small number. Does anyone have more information?

You're very welcome!

I mentioned Celts, Romans, and Visigoths because they were groups that had a major impact on Spain and also carried significant amounts of R1b. As for Visigoths being under U106, you are right that U106 was probably a more common subtype among the Visigoths, but that doesn't mean that they didn't have anything else. This is one of the challenges of having a less common lineage - it becomes more likely that your lineage was a "tag along" lineage that became ethnically associated with a more successful cousin.

Basques are also possible, of course. They have a very high occurrence of R1b, but it is also mostly DF27 as you probably know.

As for SNP's, U106 tends to be Germanic, of course, while L21 is more Celtic (and also includes my downstream M222), and U152 is more Roman, Alpine, and Gaulish. This doesn't mean that those populations were 100% composed of members of that SNP - that is virtually impossible to maintain for any length of time!

If you do something like Big Y, you might be able to find close matches and see where they are from.

What else do you know about the origins of your paternal line? Do you have a last name? Do you know what region or city they were from?

You're very welcome!

I mentioned Celts, Romans, and Visigoths because they were groups that had a major impact on Spain and also carried significant amounts of R1b. As for Visigoths being under U106, you are right that U106 was probably a more common subtype among the Visigoths, but that doesn't mean that they didn't have anything else. This is one of the challenges of having a less common lineage - it becomes more likely that your lineage was a "tag along" lineage that became ethnically associated with a more successful cousin.

Basques are also possible, of course. They have a very high occurrence of R1b, but it is also mostly DF27 as you probably know.

As for SNP's, U106 tends to be Germanic, of course, while L21 is more Celtic (and also includes my downstream M222), and U152 is more Roman, Alpine, and Gaulish. This doesn't mean that those populations were 100% composed of members of that SNP - that is virtually impossible to maintain for any length of time!

If you do something like Big Y, you might be able to find close matches and see where they are from.

What else do you know about the origins of your paternal line? Do you have a last name? Do you know what region or city they were from?

Thanks again for responding. I'm thinking of getting the y37 and either P312 SNP pack or M343 pack from FTDNA done sometime in the future. I'll be sure to start researching my family history.

Here's my 23andme speculative ancestry composition:

European: 87%
Broadly European: 6.6%

Iberian: 49.2%
Italian: 0.7%
Broadly Southern European: 19.0%

British and Irish: 2.7%
Scandinavian: 1.6%
French and German: <0.1%
Ashkenazi: 2.2%
Broadly North Western European: 5.2%

East Asian and Native American: 10.0%
Native American: 7.6%
Broadly East Asian: 0.1%
Broadly East Asian and Native American: 2.3%

Sub-Saharan African: 0.3%
West Africa: 0.1%
Broadly Sub-Saharan: 0.2%

Middle Eastern and Northern African: 0.3%
North African: 0.2%
Broadly Middle Eastern and Northern African: 0.1%

Unassigned: 2.2%

So how accurate is 23andme's speculative ancestry composition? It is very similar to FTDNA's MyOrigin composition

hi I would like to know more about my SNP :
s3
CTS3575
PF6404
YSC0000225
L407
PF6432
YSC0000203
PF6438
L265
PF6507
s10
PF6443
L478
PF6495
CTS12478
PF6430
YSC0000194
PF6425
PF6500
L483
L482
PF6434 L500
CTS8728
PF6494
YSC0000294
PF6409
CTS2664
YSC0000213
PF6411
L773
PF6509
YSC0000219
PF6265
F1794
Pease share the information you have.

hi I would like to know more about my SNP :
s3
CTS3575
PF6404
YSC0000225
L407
PF6432
YSC0000203
PF6438
L265
PF6507
s10
PF6443
L478
PF6495
CTS12478
PF6430
YSC0000194
PF6425
PF6500
L483
L482
PF6434 L500
CTS8728
PF6494
YSC0000294
PF6409
CTS2664
YSC0000213
PF6411
L773
PF6509
YSC0000219
PF6265
F1794
Pease share the information you have.

Hello cousin!

What is it that you want to know? I'll be happy to post SNPs from either 23andme or FTDNA, just let me know how.

Been thinking of getting the P312 SNP pack from FTDNA. I was told the difference between SNP vs STR is SNP is for geography while STR is for ancestors. This let me to consider getting an STR test as well, but what is the difference between Y-37 and Y-67?

Well I got the P312 SNP pack and Y-67 STR test. My results came today from FTDNA...

My new haplogroup is R-FGC20747. The FTDNA Ancestral Origins feature found no matches for 25, 37 or 67 markers. The 12 marker find 1 match in Peru and 2 in the United Kingdom.

Can anyone tell me more about this haplogroup? Where it originated and with what group of people they are associated with?

I also started a new thread about R-FGC20747, check out....http://www.eupedia.com/forum/threads/33384-R-fgc20747

This thread has been viewed 71668 times.

Back