Horse, Linguistic History and more

except an error, I see no link between KEOGH/KEOUGH/KEHOE and KEOWN
KEHOE is irish and only irish, I think -
KEOWN evocates me a gaelic scottish name MCKEOWN formed upon MAC-EWEN/MAC-EWAN (MAC EOGHAIN? seamingly "saxonization" under the forms: EUNSON/EWENSON in eastern Scotland) as MACKINTOSH for MAC-INTOSH

Moesan, Kehoe is Irish. Mac Ceóch, Mac Keogh, Keogh are variants of Mac Eochadha [ son of Eochaidh..common personal name in ancient Ireland].
There was a Leinster stock and a Ui Maine stock [descended from Maine Mor] I think this is the one in question.

Moesan, Kehoe is Irish. Mac Ceóch, Mac Keogh, Keogh are variants of Mac Eochadha [ son of Eochaidh..common personal name in ancient Ireland].
There was a Leinster stock and a Ui Maine stock [descended from Maine Mor] I think this is the one in question.

thanks Hope (I think this explication was given yet, maybe by yourself -
my remark was only about the apprently false link between all these KEOGH/KEHOE cognates AND KEOWN

thanks Hope (I think this explication was given yet, maybe by yourself -
my remark was only about the apprently false link between all these KEOGH/KEHOE cognates AND KEOWN

I see :)

Well in case you have not come across the Keown yet, it is Irish too according to Woulfe. It is listed as MacEóin
[which was assumed by a Scottish family who settled around the Glens of Antrim].
Also acc. to Woulfe there is another name which is pronounced almost in same way which is of course Mac Eoghain. I think Selwyn Greenfrith noticed Keown might be Irish.

I see :)

Well in case you have not come across the Keown yet, it is Irish too according to Woulfe. It is listed as MacEóin
[which was assumed by a Scottish family who settled around the Glens of Antrim].
Also acc. to Woulfe there is another name which is pronounced almost in same way which is of course Mac Eoghain. I think Selwyn Greenfrith noticed Keown might be Irish.

OK no big surprise - If I don't do any mistake, Eoin is one of the irish gaelic forms for John/Jean/Yann/Giobanni... not very far (phonetics) from Eoghain descendant words-

It is very probable that Albanian word kalë (horse) be related with the verb kaloj (“pass”, “go off”, “transfer”, “overstep”, etc.). As I’ve pointed out, the suffix “-oj” turns a noun into a verb, but actually Albanian lacks the noun kal/ë (“pass”, “transfer” …) and there does exist only kalë (horse) instead.

Somehow it might be a polish construct of kon (horse) and wal (hit with hammer), hens konwal -> kowal (smith that makes iron horseshoes and installs them with nails to the hoofs.)

In lithuanian:
"kalvis" - the smith (human)
"kalvė" - smith workshop, smith house
"kalti" - verb ("to hit" with hammer)
"kaltas, kaltuvas" - chisel, cutter, gouge - you hit it with hummer

About horse in lithuania:
"žirgas" - nice, big horse; war horse; sport horse
"kumelė - female horse;
"kumelys, kumeliukas" - young horse
"kuinas" - weak, skinny old horse
"ašva" - old lithuanian 'kumelė"
"arklys" - working horse, linked to "arklas". Look in wikipedia for "ard_(plough) - arklas"

"asilas" - donkey

We have lots of words to describe horses by color: "juodbėras, kirsnas, bėras, sartas, raudas, kaštanas, palšas, šėmas, pelėkas, širmas, obuolmušas, bulanas, gelsvis, derešas, keršas, šlakis, šyvis, laukas..." :)

In Circassian (Adyghe) (West Caucasian group of languages) the word "horse" is pronounced something like this:
"shee" - horse

Suppose that thanks to the “mountain isolation” in the Circassian language, tokens lost by the European languages ​​(what is called polysyntheism) are preserved
If, with the help of the Circassian language tokens, we try to decompose the words of European languages ​​denoting a horse, it will turn out something like this (with the maximum allowance for the original pronunciation in each of the languages ​​presented):

loshad (rusland) "loo" - allowing to fight "sha" - horse, "d" - (indicates the possibility of action)
horse (english) "ho" - man, "ris" - what is sitting on
caballo (spanish) "keualo" - explosive, (or the one they beat)
cavallo (italy) "keualo" - explosive, (or the one they beat)
cheval (france) "shee" - horse "ual" - mad
pferd (germany) "pfer" - the one you drive, "d" - (indicates the possibility of action)
equo (latin) "e" - (pointer to something), "k" + “diphthong“ + "o" - move
kon (poland) "k" + “diphthong“ + "on" - move, head somewhere
ceffyl (wales) "kefil" - fitted
capall (ireland) "kep" + “diphthong“ + "il" - the one you hold (held)
hestur (island) "he" - carrier "str" - fever
hevonen (finland) "heuon" - the one you hit, "en" - the end of the verb in undefined form

The problem is that the polysynthesis of the Circassian language is so rich that there can be many options for transcription. For example: imagine that each separate letter of the Latin alphabet in the Circassian language means a separate word (or several words), combinations of two letters mean a separate word (or several words), etc.

What this all means, I do not fully understand. When I tried to show this in Russia, I was treated as an ethnic nationalist. But I just don’t know tokens in other languages.
In the manner shown, many words can be decomposed in Western European languages.

I did not read all posts , but an idea came to mind .
The gaulish word Caballos that gave the french Cheval , is probably based on an onomatopoeia ( onomatopée in french is far easier ! ) , imitating the noise of a horse galloping
( an english word from the same origin , onomatopoeia of the same meaning) . This word Caballos gave a few other in french like : galloper , cavaler ( to run fast ) .
So it is probably not the only word used by the Gauls to name a horse , but a word that became popular , Ekos could be another one ?

horse in gaulish 'epos' + 'caballos'* + I think 'marcos' (stalion?) - 'caballos' seems linked to 'capall'/'ceffyll' (see 'corp'/'corff' in gaelic and welsh) and slavic 'koyla' (mare) - phonetically, the forms of the insular Celtics seem unregular (unvoiced consonnants), as loaned through an intermediary pop (Rhaetic close to Etrusque???)
the cultures where horses played a big role have always a lot of specialized words accordint ot the usages done with these horses (work, war, race, reproduction...)
I doubt 'galloper' has something in common with 'cavaler'

Slavic 'kobyla', sorry! But I think you knew where I made my error.

Epona
Celtic deity

It is obvious the change Q-P in Celtic
as it is in Greek
from IE ekw-os
Mykenean ικκος
greek ιππος

5421.jpg

horse in gaulish 'epos' + 'caballos'* + I think 'marcos' (stalion?) - 'caballos' seems linked to 'capall'/'ceffyll' (see 'corp'/'corff' in gaelic and welsh) and slavic 'koyla' (mare) - phonetically, the forms of the insular Celtics seem unregular (unvoiced consonnants), as loaned through an intermediary pop (Rhaetic close to Etrusque???)
the cultures where horses played a big role have always a lot of specialized words accordint ot the usages done with these horses (work, war, race, reproduction...)
I doubt 'galloper' has something in common with 'cavaler'

Cavaler gave the word Cavalier or horse rider , and of course it is also based on Cabalos ( onomatopoeia from a horse galloping , gallop , galloper ) .

Cavaler gave the word Cavalier or horse rider , and of course it is also based on Cabalos ( onomatopoeia from a horse galloping , gallop , galloper ) .

Possible, but I 'm not convinced for this word. Sorry.

This thread has been viewed 44474 times.

Back