How Old Prussian were the East Prussian Germans?

Yep, baltic latvians are not only west balts, but also eastern balts and perhaps fennoscandians (L 1025).
Do you know East Baltic cases in Latvia? I so far have seen only 9 Latvian N with known sub haplo. 7 of them under West Baltic (77%), 2 under East Baltic (23%). Those 2 both are from East Latvia (Latgale).
Let's see what new data brings.

Do you know East Baltic cases in Latvia? I so far have seen only 9 Latvian N with known sub haplo. 7 of them under West Baltic (77%), 2 under East Baltic (23%). Those 2 both are from East Latvia (Latgale).
Let's see what new data brings.

Yep. There are some. You could check some baltic data bases for some key SNP mutations within N projects like: L551, L591, L1027, Z16975.

I'm late to the game but about Prussians...

Hey, I have read a lot of the posts on this thread to help answer questions on family origins.

First, my background. My father was from Germany originally and moved over to the United States in 1980. My father pointed out that the family was Prussian. Our last name is Ruddies and there isn't really too many Ruddies left after the World Wars. I have been my family's genealogical detective since I was 18. My mother's side is Norwegian and the family has been very good at recording our history. My father's side not so much. Even when he was alive, he knew nothing about the family history. Just that we came from what would be northern Poland today.

Now, I am familiar with the Germans coming into the region in the fourteenth century and the Germanization of the region over the years. And I am familiar with how the region has had a lot of admixture from different ethnic groups. So I always assumed I had a strong German background.

Well, I was wrong. About a year ago, I did DNA test. I expected some strong western European influence in my DNA. But when the results came back, it turned out that I had none. Aside from the Norwegian and a bit of Irish, I was primarily eastern European. I have a strong feeling that I am more closely related to modern day Lithuanians than Polish or any other Slavic groups.

With this information, I am inclined to assume that my family may have been in the area for a very long time. Though Germanized but ethnically Prussian.

I suppose the reason why I am leaving a post is in hopes that some light could shined on my family origins and maybe even the origin and meaning of the Ruddies surname.

But further research is needed and I do need to find a very comprehensive DNA test that will go more into depth of the genetic history of my family.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Alexander.

Can't answer your questions but as far as I know the majority of people living within the Prussian borders where Poles. The larger cities where inhabited by German, or Prussians in this case. The countryside by poles. I do wonder though if poles living within The Prussian borders would identify as Prussians or Poles or both..

Sent from my SM-T815 using Tapatalk

Can't answer your questions but as far as I know the majority of people living within the Prussian borders where Poles. The larger cities where inhabited by German, or Prussians in this case. The countryside by poles. I do wonder though if poles living within The Prussian borders would identify as Prussians or Poles or both..

Sent from my SM-T815 using Tapatalk

There definitely seems to be some Polish input into the sample populations that I wasn't able to extract out cleanly, as evidenced by the fact that the next-most-common haplogroup besides the ones I used to calculate was I2a-Din.

Hi, Tomenable!
The graph you mentioned above appears no more:

"Estimated percentage of each ancestry within the total population pool throughout time:"

Could you be so kind and post it again?

PS. I've been reading your posts about the investigation you made on the colonization of Prussia on other forums, it's amazing.

Hi, Tomenable!
The graph you mentioned above appears no more:

"Estimated percentage of each ancestry within the total population pool throughout time:"

Could you be so kind and post it again?

PS. I've been reading your posts about the investigation you made on the colonization of Prussia on other forums, it's amazing.

This thread has been viewed 175862 times.

Back