Banned
Reaction score
Ethnic group
European Mix
Y-DNA haplogroup
I1 (M253)
mtDNA haplogroup
H
This might be a question best answered by established users of Eupedia or other genetic sites... I'm wondering if the field of haplogroup study is now far enough along to allow for the identification of haplogroup specific personality traits. For example, the Japanese place real importance on blood type and assign each major group its own subset of real (or imagined) characteristics. Is haplogroup genetics to this point yet? Or is this idea complete rubbish?

Let's have fun with this and not get too serious... I can say that I've noticed some possible trends! And we should include both y and mtd groupings.

I can't see that the haplogruoups have anything to to with personality traits, which the autosomal DNA is responsible for. At least some of the mtDNA haplogroups could indicate that you have a higher or lesser risk of certain diseases, though.

There is some connection between Y DNA and some personality traits embedded in genes, but mostly due to humankind still not mixed very well together. We carry genetic differences from birth of haplogroups locations, from times when all tribe had one major haplogroup, maybe two. Most I1 carriers are blond, but we know that blondism is not carried in Y DNA. It just happened that I1 developed among blond people, and for now they still reside together. Statistically we can connect them together, but because of place of origin, and not because Y DNA effects personality traits. Same scenario happens with most personality types I guess.

Y-DNA isn't likely to determine whole personality types (nor is blood type for that matter), but it seems almost unavoidable that it has some effect on certain attributes that affect personality. Think hormones. We ought to be looking at these sorts of attributes:

• Aggression
  • Nurturing
  • Sex drive
  • Fetish tendency
  • Homosexual tendency (although I believe this one is probably mainly epigenetic)

...basically, we probably won't be able to say stuff like "Haplogroup N carriers are confident and optimistic, but unpredictable," but we may be able to say stuff like "Haplogroup N carriers are moderately aggressive and have high sex drives." Beyond that, there's probably little but correlation, as LeBrok points out.

I really don't see any linkage between haplogroups and personality. Any valid research on this?

Y-DNA isn't likely to determine whole personality types (nor is blood type for that matter), but it seems almost unavoidable that it has some effect on certain attributes that affect personality. Think hormones. We ought to be looking at these sorts of attributes:

• Aggression
  • Nurturing
  • Sex drive
  • Fetish tendency
  • Homosexual tendency (although I believe this one is probably mainly epigenetic)

...basically, we probably won't be able to say stuff like "Haplogroup N carriers are confident and optimistic, but unpredictable," but we may be able to say stuff like "Haplogroup N carriers are moderately aggressive and have high sex drives." Beyond that, there's probably little but correlation, as LeBrok points out.

I read about the connection of homosexuality and haplogroups in another forum. I don't believe in such a connection, as it would have been suicidal. If there is a "homosexual gene" at all, I think it must be autosomal. But in my opinion the reason could also be too much or too little of certain hormonial influences before bith. At least that has been put as an explanation for other sexual disorders/variants.

I don't think the rates of homosexuality differ (significantly) from country to country. The number of people who identify as homosexual of course would vary and that can be explained entirely by reference to culture (e.g. Iran apparently has no homosexuals - dat Iranian Y-DNA...).

• Fetish tendency

I think these two are about internal brain architecture. Especially the neuronal "highway" between department of beauty and sexual arousal. Once we have hit puberty nobody had to teach us: " When you see a girl, you have to erect your penis." It is such automatic, sudden and strong effect, that could be only explain by genetic predisposition we are born with, and already developed wiring at puberty. And brain is the biggest and most important sexsual organ anyway.
When genetic mishap happens, one can end up with female brain in man's body, or vice versa. Even though homosexuality is evolutionary dead end, it persists in humans and all animal species. Perhaps it is an easy genetic mistake to make. If it comes to humans, peer pressure and arranged marriages helped a lot in this department, to propagate homosexual mutations.
If I'm right, we'll see fewer homosexuals every generation now, in free (marry for love, and openly gay) western societies. (it is not a negative statement, only observation).

Epigenetic changes in form of excessive methylation, are known to block gene expression. As it could explain female brain in man's body (not fully expressed Y chromosome during fetal growth), it would also mean that gay people would have more genetic maladies (methylation can affect indiscriminately all sections of the genome) at the same time. And I don't think it shows in any statistics. However, science of epigenetics is so new that I could be totally wrong. :)

Is haplogroup genetics to this point yet?
If there is a point, the time is always.
Or is this idea complete rubbish?
Would you start this thread if you thought this?
Let's have fun with this and not get too serious...
Actually, I am very serious about it. But if you prefer having fun, then let people know not to waste their time.
I can say that I've noticed some possible trends!
I'd be interesting in hearing about them.
And we should include both y and mtd groupings.
Yes, let's hear it!

This thread has been viewed 17210 times.

Back