Is the high Jewish frequency of hg G representative of the pre-Arabic Levant ?

There isn't a lot of Jews in Haplogroup G. Most belong to E or J1.

There isn't a lot of Jews in Haplogroup G. Most belong to E or J1.

I'm R1a1a.

I processed the 23andMe raw data through GEDMatch, and found which ethnicities my DNA is most closest to.

besides Ashkenazi Jews, I am most closest to Sicilians, Greeks, Cypriots, Bulgarians, Romanians, Turks, Lebanese.

this makes the most sense, as at one point 10% of the Roman Empire was Jewish, Jews were converting Roman citizens up to 350 AD when Justinian made it illegal.

so it makes perfect sense that Ashkenazi Jews would have most genes in common with the folks around Rome and the areas of Asia Minor.

Up to 7.7% of Ashkenazi Jews belong to Haplogroup G, which has been associated with the spread of agriculture from Anatolia to Europe, along with J2 clades. It was found that R1a-M582 is present in 33.8% of Ashkenazi R1a male lineages (Rootsi et al. 2012) and M582 is absent in Eastern Europeans but present in non-Jewish Near Easterners. Ashkenazi Levites may have picked up G from Near Eastern populations along with R1a-M582.

Previous Y-chromosome studies have demonstrated that Ashkenazi Levites, members of a paternally inherited Jewish priestly caste, display a distinctive founder event within R1a, the most prevalent Y-chromosome haplogroup in Eastern Europe. Here we report the analysis of 16 whole R1 sequences and show that a set of 19 unique nucleotide substitutions defines the Ashkenazi R1a lineage. While our survey of one of these, M582, in 2,834 R1a samples reveals its absence in 922 Eastern Europeans, we show it is present in all sampled R1a Ashkenazi Levites, as well as in 33.8% of other R1a Ashkenazi Jewish males and 5.9% of 303 R1a Near Eastern males, where it shows considerably higher diversity. Moreover, the M582 lineage also occurs at low frequencies in non-Ashkenazi Jewish populations. In contrast to the previously suggested Eastern European origin for Ashkenazi Levites, the current data are indicative of a geographic source of the Levite founder lineage in the Near East and its likely presence among pre-Diaspora Hebrews.

Most G2 Ashkenazi Jews belong to the G2b subgroup not G2a.

Well seems like I was correct with my statement Haplogroup G does look like it has it's origin in, or close to the Iranian_Plateau.

I wouldn't call the average of 10% high. Inflated yes, high? no. Haplogroups E and J are found at higher frequencies amongst Jewish people.

no. Haplogroup G in jewfish people, what little of it that there is, is due to minor genetic influence from the Caucasus region, Georgia, Azerbaijan and Ossetians and other north Caucasus people's in particular descending towards the levant in small numbers

That is not verifiable in any way. Research is unsure of origin but places it in Northern Mesopotamia/Western Iranic Plateau, breaking off from F, which can be found in lower Mesopotamia.

Just because it appears in high frequency in the Caucus' does not mean that is where it originated.

g2b most likely spread with agriculture west through the Fertile Crescent and East to Pakistan. This is the most likely way it shows up in modern Jewish and Lebanese.

G2b, likely originating in the same general region as G2a. G2a spread through the fertile crescent, through Anatolia and into Europe and the Caucuses, while G2b was more limited to the fertile crescent and east towards Pakistan. G2b can be found in the Levant in both Jewish and Lebanese along with low frequencies throughout the middle east. I believe the Pashtuns in Afghanistan and some in Pakistan.

So as to how G2b arrived in the Jewish and Lebanese populations, the mostly likely route is directly through the fertile crescent with agriculture, from Northern Mesopotamia. Meaning, along with the haplogroups found at greater frequencies within the Jewish population, G2b was likely of pre-Hebrew, Canaanite origin, like other Jewish haplogroups, that eventually became the Jewish population.

But not originating from the Caucuses.

Well seems like I was correct with my statement Haplogroup G does look like it has it's origin in, or close to the Iranian_Plateau.

Yes, you were. Y-Haplogroup G has a direct correlation with the advent and spread of agriculture, from the Iranian Plateau and Mesopotamia in various directions.

This thread has been viewed 52681 times.

Back