Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Root of Y-DNA phylogentic tree revised to 338,000 years (before Homo Sapiens)

Regular Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 108
    Overall activity: 3.0%

Quote Originally Posted by nordicfoyer View Post
    I guess my sentence could be taken in such a way that implies Wells and Wells alone created this theory, that was not my intention.

Wells did make his bread and butter trumpeting the Out of Africa theory, that we can be sure of...

Neanderthal or Denisovan haplogroup would be a game changer in my book. Look at the online battles we have now between the alphabet soup of L,M,N,O,P... wait until one or two become a different "sub-species".

Of course that's why I've been drawing attention to the numerous advancements of Neanderthal-- such as boat travel, fire starting 200,000 years before any homo sapien lines were capable, etc. Wells said "R1b were the first Europeans" one too many times for my taste.
    Fair enough, just clarifying because i like to nit pick, and you are right, other than the Leakey family Wells has given the most significant amount of tangible evidence to back the theory, whether its agreeable or not.
    Also When I said that finding a non Homo Sapiens HG wouldn't prove much, i meant in the field of genetics. You are right it would have a significance on how we view ourselves, so in cultural terms, we would have to redefine what it means to be a human, but in scientific terms we already know of the admixture, and a HG would just add credence to it.
    And Fire starting is thought to have predated both Neanderthal and Homo Sapiens, as it was first controlled 800000 years ago, most likely by Homo Ergaster, an ancestor of both Neanderthals and us.

Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 155
    Overall activity: 6.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I1 (M253)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

Ethnic group
    European mix

Quote Originally Posted by LeBrok View Post
    I'm glad our views get vindicated. There must be a thread or two where we argued our points before genetic evidence showed up.
    Lebrok, please revisit the thread titled "Neanderthal y-DNA?" I started on 11/30/12. Yourself, Kardu, Jackson, Kamani, and Yetos among others made some great points. It's worth checking out for Yeto's photos alone.

Anthro-, Rachael Moeller Gorman has this in an article titled "Cooking Up Bigger Brains" in Scientific American out a few months ago...

"...no evidence that early hominins controlled fire until some 300,000 to 400,000 years ago. Consistent signs of cooking came even later, when Neanderthals were coping with an ice age. 'They developed earth oven cookery...'"

and later this...

"Lacking the proof for widespread fire use by H. erectus, Wrangham hopes that DNA data may one day help his cause."

So I think the dating of controlled fire debate is still up for debate. My focus however is that Neanderthal was no dummy (relative to early h. sapien anyway) and that he certainly had controlled fire...

**EDIT**
    My thought on this paper's findings (and especially if we have future announcements involving other "ancient" haplogroups) is that we as a species are possibly looking at having to self-identify as other than H. sapiens if we want to be all inclusive of older lines (if and when they are discovered). Of course this wouldn't effect the vast majority of people, but if you're haplogroup is one of the pre-h. sapien line(s), all of the sudden you start paying very close attention.

And don't worry about keeping me honest on my numbers/sentence structure Anthro-, you have a scholarly tone and are after the truth... which is much appreciated.
    Last edited by nordicfoyer; 04-03-13 at 22:57.

Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,132
    Overall activity: 54.0%

this is exciting news , but it does not add anything to the discussion about out of Africa versus multiregional.
    it tells me there was a very narrow bottleneck when A0 and A1 were born, because this is the very first time someone has been identified not descending from A0 neither A1 in paternal line.

Curious Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 615
    Overall activity: 11.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    Not known - O3?
    MtDNA haplogroup
    Not known - M?

Ethnic group
    Chinese

What has been written is that the statistical analysis of the sample base of the known human genome from groups of haplogroups has been expanded as an American was found whose Hg A was so ancient that maybe the haplogroups might have to be renumbered. What was A0 (120,000 years ago) Homo Sapiens could be A3 if Neanderthals, Denisovans, Homo Ergaster, Homo rhodensiensis, Homo heidelbergensis and other hominids are given, say -

X1 Homo Ergaster,
    X2 Homo erectus, 1.3 million – 200,000 ybp
    X3 Homo heidelbergensis, 600,000 – 400,000 ybp
    X4 Neanderthals, 600,000 – 20,000 ybp
    A0 American, 581,000 – 237,000 years ago
    A1 Homo rhodensiensis, 300,000 – 125,000 ybp
    A2 Denisovans, 280,000 – 20,000 ybp
    A3 Homo sapiens, 120,000 – present.

As hominids can interbreed so they are all humans.

Statistics is just a method of educated guess based on numbers. Probability is just guessing started by French mathematician Blaise Pascal in his Probability Theory on gambling. It is not a cause-and-effect analysis but location analysis it is locates the likelihood of a crime being committed in a certain area or certain groups of people are likely to commit certain crimes. It is all about probability in numbers.

What is said in plain language is what we analysed is too short a time frame. This American’s genes tells us he comes from ancient group outside the time frame of all existing samples. His genes are so old that other hominids fit into his time frame. As this American is human so all those hominids must be human and included in the haplogroups.

The Chinese claim that the Peking Man, homo erectus, was their ancestor but the skull was lost when the ship transporting the skull was sunk by a German U-boat. However, since Chinese are Hg O3 and descendant of Homo Sapiens, the Peking Man theory is off base. The Chinese would have to be hypothetical Hg X2 which is older than Homo Sapiens A3.

The multi-regional theory doesn’t work as the known haplogroups are descendant not ascendant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galois_theory

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_theory

Its mathematical foundations were laid in the 17th century with the development of the probability theory by Blaise Pascal and Pierre de Fermat. Probability theory arose from the study of games of chance. The method of least squares was first described by Carl Friedrich Gauss around 1794. The use of modern computers has expedited large-scale statistical computation, and has also made possible new methods that are impractical to perform manually.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statistics

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I1 (M253)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

Ethnic group
    European mix

Quote Originally Posted by bicicleur View Post
    this is exciting news , but it does not add anything to the discussion about out of Africa versus multiregional.
    it tells me there was a very narrow bottleneck when A0 and A1 were born, because this is the very first time someone has been identified not descending from A0 neither A1 in paternal line.
    If we view the results of this paper in a vacuum, then yes prima facie it explains only a previously missed A00 line. But when you look at all of the DNA findings that contradict recent Out of Africa theory... this is yet another straw on the camel's back. How much more can we load on this poor animal before we snap it's spinal column? Neanderthal and Denisovan admixture, previously missed ancient hg A lines, FTDNA's own mention of Dr. Krahn's "uncountable number of new haplogroups"-- the burden is getting rather heavy. Oriental's comment above clearly illustrates the log jam of opinions this field is soon to encounter (even if Dr. Krahn's new groups aren't pre-h. sapien).

So Bicicleur, Well's may have convinced casual viewers of the Nat Geo. channel that we all fit nicely into tidy A, B, C, etc. haplogroup packages and then wrapped up his glossy tale with the showy bow of homo sapien's "documentable" travel through time... but like most of mankind's endeavor's, the real story is a bit more messy.

**EDIT**
    I get a kick out of the fact that the tender love scene in "Quest for Fire" (after the main protagonist is captured by an opposing tribe) may be the most accurate representation of ancient genetic theory ever captured on film. That and the fact that Carelton Coon is looking like an absolute genius. Glance over his ideas and look at what's headed this way in terms of genetic findings...

Level

If we view the results of this paper in a vacuum, then yes prima facie it explains only a previously missed A00 line. But when you look at all of the DNA findings that contradict recent Out of Africa theory... this is yet another straw on the camel's back. How much more can we load on this poor animal before we snap it's spinal column? Neanderthal and Denisovan admixture, previously missed ancient hg A lines, FTDNA's own mention of Dr. Krahn's "uncountable number of new haplogroups"-- the burden is getting rather heavy. Oriental's comment above clearly illustrates the log jam of opinions this field is soon to encounter.

So Bicicleur, Well's may have convinced casual viewers of the Nat Geo. channel that we all fit nicely into tidy A, B, C, etc. haplogroup packages and then wrapped up his glossy tale with the showy bow of homo sapien's "documentable" travel through time... but like most of mankind's endeavor's, the real story is a bit more messy.

**EDIT**
    I get a kick out of the fact that the tender love scene in "Quest for Fire" (after the main protagonist is captured by an opposing tribe) may be the most accurate representation of ancient genetic theory ever captured on film. That and the fact that Carelton Coon is looking like an absolute genius. Glance over his ideas and look at what's headed this way in terms of genetic findings...
    Couldnt agree with you more here noricfoyer, ive always had a problem with all haplogroups on the planet being part of the same story, despite my support of the RAO, it seems Naive to doubt the existence of a lineage that dosent stem from the same migration out of Africa
    Also, great point about La Guerre du feu, watching the film now is remarkable, it got alot of points right, and considering the lack of knowledge of Paleolithic Europe at the time, its amazing. Its also a great film in its own right and i recommened that anyone who hasnt seen it watch it, the full movie is on Youtube.
    Seems like its not there anymore, still try and find it.

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I1 (M253)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

Ethnic group
    European mix

Quote Originally Posted by Anthro-inclined View Post
    ...it got alot of points right, and considering the lack of knowledge of Paleolithic Europe at the time, its amazing. Its also a great film in its own right and i recommened that anyone who hasnt seen it watch it, the full movie is on Youtube.
    Seems like its not there anymore, still try and find it.
    Twenty year old Rae Dawn Chong + loin cloth = required viewing for the amatuer gene hunter

Level

Twenty year old Rae Dawn Chong + loin cloth = required viewing for the amatuer gene hunter
    Lol, couldnt have put it better myself.

Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b Z2109
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1c

Ethnic group
    Citizen of the world

Lebrok, please revisit the thread titled "Neanderthal y-DNA?" I started on 11/30/12. Yourself, Kardu, Jackson, Kamani, and Yetos among others made some great points. It's worth checking out for Yeto's photos alone.
    Sorry for not responding. I'm running a bit behind the time these days.

Anthro-, Rachael Moeller Gorman has this in an article titled "Cooking Up Bigger Brains" in Scientific American out a few months ago...

"...no evidence that early hominins controlled fire until some 300,000 to 400,000 years ago. Consistent signs of cooking came even later, when Neanderthals were coping with an ice age. 'They developed earth oven cookery...'"
    There are some archaeologists expending fire taming to almost 2 million years. I'm not sure about that but I wouldn't be surprised if it is in a range 500k to 1 million. Even just on a notion how much we love fire and cooked, boiled, fried food. It says about a very long history of man kind with fire.
    Be wary of people who tend to glorify the past, underestimate the present, and demonize the future.

Curious Achievements:

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    Not known - O3?
    MtDNA haplogroup
    Not known - M?

Ethnic group
    Chinese

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/sides...210033011.html

Yahoo reports on this African American in South Carolina who recently died and whose DNA showed him to be the guy with 340,000 year old ancestor.

http://www.cell.com/AJHG/retrieve/pii/S0002929713000736

OverdriveTagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 251

Ethnic group
    Celtiberian

Quote Originally Posted by oriental View Post
    http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/sides...210033011.html

Yahoo reports on this African American in South Carolina who recently died and whose DNA showed him to be the guy with 340,000 year old ancestor.

http://www.cell.com/AJHG/retrieve/pii/S0002929713000736
    All of us have more than 1.4 million years ancestors. It looks like a headline's new, create for manipulate.

Curious Achievements:

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    Not known - O3?
    MtDNA haplogroup
    Not known - M?

Ethnic group
    Chinese

We have only scratched the surface. The 'Journey of Man' by Dr. Spencer Wells only sampled 1,000 or so from major cities and a few isolated areas. It is in the isolated villages and mountainous areas where the older subclades will be found as their lifestyles didn't change so they mutated less. Cities are where the most mingling and changes going to occur. People are afraid to have their DNA and there is good reason to be suspicious.

Tagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 349

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I2a2b Isles A3 L161

family tree now

Does this make sense with Y-Perry being the new Y-Adam? Who goes in the blank?

evolution.jpg

Curious Achievements:

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    Not known - O3?
    MtDNA haplogroup
    Not known - M?

Ethnic group
    Chinese

Like in algebra put an 'x' to be solved.

Landlord Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 57
    Overall activity: 1.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    E1a1
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1

Ethnic group
    1/4 Sephardic 3/4 Ashkenazi

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12