Gauls

GrecoItalicIllyrian

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Apulian
Is Gaul an ethnic group? Were they all the same people? Or was it a linguistic and cultural thing.
Were they Alpine?

Usually when speaking of Gaul, one can apply it to either a historical region, that covered and was centered in modern day France, or you can refer to the historical Gaulish people, who had inhabited this region. The concept of Gaul and the people associated with it existed within the iron age, and was conquered by rome beginning in the Gallic wars led by Julius Caesar. The political landscape of the region is still up for debate, as the Gauls did not leave written records, but it seems most likely that Gaul was dominated by a group of tribes who spoke the Gaulish language(Part of the broader Celtic language family), and that sophisticated political structures were most likely not associated with Gaul. Gaul was taken over by the Romans, and culturally assimilated into Rome, however their influence can still be seen in France and Spain, I.E. Archaeology, Language structure and some cultural practices.
I hope this was of help.

Very well said. The Roman influence in Gaul was so extensive that in many ways it resembles the European influence on the Cherokee of the Southeastern United States.

Don't forget about the Gallic influence in Italy, and that Gauls/italics where both R1b, and of the R-S28 variety predominantly.

Don't forget about the Gallic influence in Italy, and that Gauls/italics where both R1b, and of the R-S28 variety predominantly.

Parts of Gaul were R-L-21 surely, especially in the west and north-west.

At a 20% maximum, in Brittany province (extreme west France). Then many more French (some 40%) have the ancestral P312 as found in most spaniards and Portuguese R1b today. Another portion (20-25%) are downstream of P312 (u152) as is L-21.

At a 20% maximum, in Brittany province (extreme west France). Then many more French (some 40%) have the ancestral P312 as found in most spaniards and Portuguese R1b today. Another portion (20-25%) are downstream of P312 (u152) as is L-21.

Also 10pc of L-21 at Bologna (Boattini et alia).

Gauls, of course, were Celts who later became heavily Romanized.

Yes. Ancient Gaullish influences in parts of N. Italy - Alpine region.

...it seems most likely that Gaul was dominated by a group of tribes who spoke the Gaulish language(Part of the broader Celtic language family), and that sophisticated political structures were most likely not associated with Gaul. Gaul was taken over by the Romans, and culturally assimilated into Rome, however their influence can still be seen in France and Spain, I.E. Archaeology, Language structure and some cultural practices.
I hope this was of help.
What are these sophisticated political structures you are speaking of ?
Also, the influence of the Gaulish language on the nowadays French language structure is very minimal.

This thread has been viewed 9706 times.

Back