Chris

Reaction score
Ethnic group
English
Y-DNA haplogroup
R-L48+
mtDNA haplogroup
H
The polls show a predictable variation of those who would vote to leave the EU, depending on the demographic and although it theoretically shouldn't matter, who is commissioning the poll. The consensus seems to be that the majority of the British public would vote to leave. (My vote would be to stay in).

What do those of you who live in mainland Europe feel would be the impact on the EU if Britain left? I say mainland Europe because Britain is currently part of the EU, hence European.

Well if the UK leave then I think the EU will have less power and also less partnership because the UK has lots of overseas and also has a very close link to the USA.

UK is very important to the EU, as its one of the largest economies in Europe. I personally think Cameron is moving the country in the wrong direction, but I dont live there so dont take this opinion to seriously.

The economic lokomotive (I prefer the word engine) is Germany. But the UK is the second or third or fourth (I'm not sure about the rank of France and Italy) most important economy in the EU and Europe and it's leaving would seriously hurt the EU I guess. 1 financier less to give money in general and to southern Europe.

I'm not a friend of the EU project, guess I can understand the many british people who want to get out.

I heard may times about economic locomotive,

lets go back to 60's

the richest man on planet did not produce a thing, he only did the transport,
just think who owns MAERSK, and what will happened if 1 country signs the big treaty with COSCO.

As far as I remember Britain was at rank 4 few years ago. It got downgraded by Moody's to Aa1 this year. The British industry is very financial oriented. The annual deficit in Britain is as high as that of Greece and the absolute debt is half that of Greece (80% vs. 160%) but higher than Spain (80% vs. 70%)! [1]. Numbers are rounded.

[1] http://ec.europa.eu/economy_finance/publications/european_economy/2011/pdf/ee-2011-6_en.pdf

Britain would not even remotely meet the Maastricht's criteria (sure, nobody does anymore, LOL), and I doubt it would be a financier actually.

Well, not exactly like Greece more like Spain I mean. Range about -9% to -11% the past 4 years for both.

Excuse me for my newbie question, why I don't have a EU flag beside the German flag in my profile? Didn't know that Lower Saxony is no part of the EU.

Hello Nordsee and welcome to Eupedia. If you have a question regarding this sites features, post it in the "Supports Request" on main forum. All queries are usually answered quickly here...:)

If Britain left the EU....
Then Denmark and Sweden would split too :giggle:. And hopefully a few more so we could get a the Nordic Council updated to a union with like minded and equal nations with a common interest.

On other hand, seeing it from a German and French perspective, some positive effects for EU-Europe can be expected if Britain leaves. The UK would be hit pretty hard. Probably international investment would dry out. The major European headquarters in London would start to relocate to Paris, Frankfurt, Berlin.

The integration process wouldn't be so much hampered anymore, as the UK has since its membership worked the hardest to avoid any major developments.

If Britain leaves EU it will be viewed as 52nd state of USA, if Porto Rico becomes the 51st. If Porto Rico decides to delay its membership then Britain will be looked as 51st state of USA. If it stays in EU Britain will still be looked as Britain, independent and important European Country. I don't think it will be any economic impact in the short run in either Europe or Britain. One thing is for sure: European Union will go ahead as planned. It has the popular support among European Continental countries, and the new rising global powers make the Union a necessity.

This thread has been viewed 9330 times.

Back