Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Understanding indo-european y-dna

Quote Originally Posted by sparkey View Post

Haplogroup I seems to be the most anciently European haplogroup that is still common. As a result, "When did Haplogroup I become IE?" is similar to answering the question, "When did IE get to Europe, and how long did it take to become dominant in Europe?". It's not an easy question to answer, although I think the most popular answer to "When did IE get to Europe?" is that it came first with Corded Ware culture. As for when it became dominant, it seems to have been a clear majority by the Classical Age, and the Classical Age helped solidify it.

An interesting twist is that there seems to be some I that may have never been IE... specifically the I2-M26 in Basques. (That doesn't mean, of course, that the pre-IE culture of Haplogroup I folks was Basque. We're not sure what it was.)

It's probably because I1 bottlenecked and spread from North Germany, close to Scandinavia, around the same time that the population of these regions expanded.
    Mesolithic I seems to have been become more marginal after arrival of neolithic G2a, J, F, E1b1b and T.
    With arrival of IE , some I-tribes seem to florish again, while neolthical tribes become marginal.
    Why would I have been the natural allies of IE?

Marquis

Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a1a3 (T-PF7443)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

Maybe it became more marginal because uhhh.....the pizza slice had to be divided with more elements? Lol. Also don't forget the men of I were hit hard when the ice-age broke out and were forced into refugiums, small cradles near the Atlantic or Adriatic coasts to survive; the chess board didn't exactly advantage them let me tell you that much.

Marquis

Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a1a3 (T-PF7443)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

And how where the men of I beaten out by R1 men? Both I1 and R1b clades waited out the LGM on the Iberian peninsula. In fact I* diversity indicates older age in those few I men from Italy and France as compared to their younger Scandinavian counterparts. Did you know there was a HV once, and that both H and V waited out the LGM on the Iberian peninsula but most of the V women (and some H I'm assuming) probably followed the I1 men north to Scandinavia? This is the ultimate questions; what are the reasons? Why is I1 and V so rare other than on the Scandinavian peninsula where they are quite frequent? Why are H and R1b widespread all over Western Europe (even east for H but with lower frequencies as we move east.) what phenomenon explains this?

Quote Originally Posted by LeBrok View Post
    But if R1 comes from North Asia, from cold zone, and was hunter-gatherer for not less time than hg I, then shouldn't R1 folks be toll and robust like hg I people?
    R1b appeared in SW Asia though, and spent a long time there before arriving in Europe. Hg I, on the other hand, never left their comfort zone (Europe), or at most, only went to immediately adjacent areas such as Anatolia and Caucasus. They couldn't bother to cross Gibraltar in 40k years.

Marquis

Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a1a3 (T-PF7443)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

Very correct. 95% of hg I men (if not slightly more) live within the confines of Europe.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    z830
    MtDNA haplogroup
    R0a

Haplogroup I is indo-European nothing else

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123