maternal haplogroup J1c

grandpa broon

Reaction score
mtDNA haplogroup
J1c
I have recently done the mtdna ancestry test, which show that I am J1c. Where can I find more information on this? Thanks

Hello, a mtDNA test from Genographic shows that I am Jc2. Are there public domain tests/software to further elucidate subdivisions, e.g. j1c2a ?

There is the James Lick's mtDna subclade predictor. I am also J1c2, being J1c2b, a subclade apparently restricted to the British Isles, which is where my maternal line originates, County Waterford to be specific.

Thanks Joey37 for the useful link! It is very insightful and a reminder that subclassification is not unique and far from simple. Genographic classified my mtdna haplotype as j1c2 and 23andme as mere j1. The James Lick's mtDna subclade predictor produced j1c as first option and j1c2 as one of three 2nd options. Subcategories were all at least rank 3 and in my view thus less reliable. This might be the best answer that is presently possible with current small samplesizes. It would be appreciated if the tool provided an indication of statistical reliability (p- or alpha-value) or the size of the sample or database). BTW: I can trace my maternal line to the late sixteenth century to the coastal area of Frisia. The Frisians are the sister clade of the Angles, Jutes, and Saxons - but this area was also ruled and settled by the Vikings in the 9th century similar to the Danelaw in England. Therefore my interest as mtdna to look far deeper in time as genealogical records allow.

Greetings, the mitochondrial DNA Haplogroup of my maternal line is Haplogroup J1C2o. We are from the island of Majorca, Spain.

Greetings, the mitochondrial DNA Haplogroup of my maternal line is Haplogroup J1C2o. We are from the island of Majorca, Spain.

Upload your results please

44270120_1963760987034306_4705555913115697152_o.jpg
This is my mtDNA tree in FTDNA

MtDNA certificate.jpg

Certificate of my mtDNA results

Last edited:
My map of Exact Match mtDNA from FTDNA

Ashampoo_Snap_2018.11.28_18h56m22s_014_.jpg

This thread has been viewed 36319 times.

Back