What is your favourite European country (outside of your own), and why?

ShockAndAwe

Reaction score
I'd go with Germany. Why? Powerful economy, high standards of living, largest exporter in the world, best cars (Merc, BMW, Audi...), nice beer and ...... it's the driving force in the Eu!

I am a fan of English! There are many reasons to be fan of English. But since one starts school, there are many english characters that one meets there. Newton, Darwin, Maxwell( I know he was a Scott but whe I say England, I really mean Great Britain), Dirac, Dinkens, and many comedians. I have personally met many English. They are easy to talk to. I have met few Germans as well. Its like talking to the wall. So for me hats off to English. They have given so much to modernity. I never have visited England though, but I will. I am invited from my friend Alex who lives in the vicinity of Dover. English are open and I wish the run the world for a while. It will be hard for them to run the world in the future since some mega countries are becoming powerful.

Belgium. It is the land of my paternal ancestors. Also I like the fact of Belgium neutrality. Actually I would like to see the Netherlands both North and South be reunited since our surname has deep roots in Holland.

Germany. They have the best classical music, and they have a remarkable ability to raise themselves to new heights after having experienced many catastrophes in their existence. Perhaps because of their discipline and effectiveness. Many nations could learn from them.

I too am a Germany fan. Definitely read a lot about it and the place that I am very eager to visit is the Romantic Rhine River Valley. Heard a lot of stories about it and want to go there soon with my fiance. :D

I too am a Germany fan.Definitely read a lot about it and the place that I am very eager to visit isthe Romantic Rhine River Valley. Heard a lot of stories about it and want to gothere soon with my fiance.

I would recommend the nearby Mosel valley, too - more narrow and"romantic" than the Rhine valley :) And a "must see" is the town of Trier in the end of the Mosel valley in the south west, which has a lot of ruins from roman times, and the oldest romanic church of Germany, very special colors inside.

Italia. With unlimited culture and an epicureans delight, Italia has an abundance to offer. I am planning my third visit, concentrating on Sicily's sights and wonders. Ciao!

Germany: Nature, Castles, Beer, Respect for Privacy
Denmark: Fairy Tales, Free Speech, Coziness, Respect for Privacy

Definitely GREECE. I admire them, their culture and their history. The European idea and the development of our culture was possible thanks to them and their political, philosophical, ethical roots. We owe so much to them. Also, I believe that Greek mythology is one of the most intelligent way of thinking religion. In Italy we say that Greece was conquered by Rome, but Rome was conquered by Greece. The basis of everything in Europe come from there. Even if things changed a lot, they still have that heritage and that brilliance. Also, I have great friends and memories there, plus we are really close and similar in many things. We share more or less the same virtues and vices.

I most appreciate Germany. The nearest my heart is Greece. But for this topic I choose Italy, this country is something special. When I am in Italy I have amazing impression. As every thing is in the right place, right where need, from the most massive to the smallest, which contributes to the filling of happiness.

I choose Germany. Great architecture, strong economy, well-brought people.

All the countries around the Baltic Sea, I like how it connects us together still, from trade to culture.

I like Romania......hot women, home of Vlad the Impaler........what more could you want? (LOL)

Scotland. That's where my paternal ancestors came from. And I've gotten along with most of the Scots I've met, whereas a lot of the English seem to see us Canadians as damn colonials.

Scotland. That's where my paternal ancestors came from. And I've gotten along with most of the Scots I've met, whereas a lot of the English seem to see us Canadians as damn colonials.

Dont you like your Queen?

u

Dont you like your Queen?

Although the Queen of Britain is also still legally the Queen of Canada, very few people in Canada now care about the British monarchy, an institution that's quite foreign to most of us, regardless of our ethnic background. The Queen is still treated with respect if she shows up here (very rarely) and is useful because she's a head of state who has no authority. It's better to have a head of state that's a figurehead. Hardly any Canadians want Canada to become a republic, because we look at the mess that Americans have to deal with as a result of having a powerful head of state who often faces off against the American houses of government (congress and senate), resulting in a deadlock. And if a president is powerful enough to over-rule opposition from those sources, he often seems to function as a dictator. So we keep a foreign and symbolic head of state because we have nothing against her and the monarchy doesn't cause a problem. People here are more concerned at the moment about how our senators are chosen, and most people want to abolish the senate and just have the house of commons to govern nationally. The provincial governments will act as a check on the house of commons. But the monarchy is something we don't think about much because it doesn't cause us any problems. And it reminds us of Monty Python comedy skits.

I would defiantly go for France. Food, Architecture, relaxed kind of elegance, But in all fairness I loved all the places I visited around Europe. I haven't been to the east of Europe yet so cannot comment much about that. Austria will be my second choice. UK and Italy (especially Sicily) are like second homes.

This thread has been viewed 14556 times.

Back