Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the most common Y Dna Haplogroup in Sicily and Southern Italy?

Regular Member Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 455
    Overall activity: 10.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I1 (M253)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

Ethnic group
    European mix

Quote Originally Posted by adamo View Post
    That last segment is rubbish...
    Possibly. I think I'm onto something though.

Emperor Achievements:
    Overdrive1000 Experience Points3 months registered

Level
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 263
    Overall activity: 14.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a1a3 (T-PF7443)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

Trust me, I don't. way way WAY too many exceptions for it to be considered a rule. Low and high testerone is found in all races, colors, ethnic groups across the world.

1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 108
    Overall activity: 3.0%

Trust me, I don't. way way WAY too many exceptions for it to be considered a rule. Low and high testerone is found in all races, colors, ethnic groups across the world.
    Sort of like your theory on skin complexsion right? Its funny how you denounce one correlation with many exceptions, but support another that we have proven to have many exceptions.

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I1 (M253)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

Ethnic group
    European mix

Adamo, at least you're consistently inconsistent. :)

Emperor Achievements:

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a1a3 (T-PF7443)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

No lol testosterone is inconsistent, considering it can be raised with execercise and musculation and lowered if out of shape. It varies on an individual level, even from birth within males of the same population.

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I1 (M253)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

Ethnic group
    European mix

Several years ago I remember hearing about a study that found the average African American had a much higher testosterone level than the average Caucasian male in the U.S. (It was either on the radio or an article I read-- can't recall the exact source.)

Does anyone have any knowledge of these findings? Maybe the link is correlated to y-haplogroup rather than skin color. This report would have pre-dated haplogroup science by several years and maybe the researchers missed the linkage.

Level

No lol testosterone is inconsistent, considering it can be raised with execercise and musculation and lowered if out of shape. It varies on an individual level, even from birth within males of the same population.
    Skin complexsion varies too. If you live in Florida and your white odds are youll be darker than your white canadian counterpart. Its called getting a tan, why are you still driving your flawed argument?

Emperor Achievements:

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a1a3 (T-PF7443)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

So being a negroid man with paternal Y-DNA A and mtdna L0 and being darker than the night is also just getting a tan? Hey? Where's jimmy? Oh he's just over there burning in the sun , getting a tan you know burning to a crisp lol. Of course to a certain degree it is linked to certain traits. And personal, black men having more testosterone than white men is a myth. There are black men with higher testosterone than certain white men, and vice versa. It varies individually, based upon the genetic inheritance from both sides, you know, at other 98% of your genome ? : ). If your paternal side from both his parents total testosterone inheritance is low, and same from your mothers side ( whatever her father had and her mother was given via her ancestors also) then having all across the board inherited low testosterone genes, you'll probably have low testosterone. If one side has higher and the other family side low you may have medium testosterone, another sibling may have high and the other low. If both sides inherited medium testosterone then your likely to have medium/ relatively high testosterone. A man with high testosterone may have had many ancestors with high testosterone and even some with low levels, he just inherited more traits from another side of his family whereas his brother is more like some other ancestor. It's very complicated, and as we look back at your parents (2) grand parents (4) great grandparents (16) etc. you can see how this starts to become awfully random of an event.

Level

So being a negroid man with paternal Y-DNA A and mtdna L0 and being darker than the night is also just getting a tan? Hey? Where's jimmy? Oh he's just over there burning in the sun , getting a tan you know burning to a crisp lol.
    Point is its like what you stated with test levels, they can change according to certain factors that are not genetically predetermined. Your argument was working out changes testosterone levels, and my counter is tanning changes skin complexsion, how much it changes can vary according to different people, but the same is true for testosterone.
    Of course to a certain degree it is linked to certain traits. And personal, black men having more testosterone than white men is a myth. There are black men with higher testosterone than certain white men, and vice versa. It varies individually, based upon the genetic inheritance from both sides, you know, at other 98% of your genome ? : ).
    I agree that test levels vary even within the specific ethnic population, but so can skin complexsion, i.e some italians are darker than others, but in a broader observation, we can see on average Italians are darker than Brits, and the same can be said for test levels. READ THIS STUDY.
    www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12608929

If your paternal side from both his parents total testosterone inheritance is low, and same from your mothers side ( whatever her father had and her mother was given via her ancestors also) then having all across the board inherited low testosterone genes, you'll probably have low testosterone. If one side has higher and the other family side low you may have medium testosterone, another sibling may have high and the other low.
    Yes, and the same goes for skin complexsion, I am considerably darker than my brother, yet we both have the same Y DNA, you see more holes forming in your argument?
    If both sides inherited medium testosterone then your likely to have medium/ relatively high testosterone. A man with high testosterone may have had many ancestors with high testosterone and even some with low levels, he just inherited more traits from another side of his family whereas his brother is more like some other ancestor. It's very complicated, and as we look back at your parents (2) grand parents (4) great grandparents (16) etc. you can see how this starts to become awfully random of an event.
    Again, all the same for skin complexsion, as you said its an awfully random event, and this is the case for all genetic traits, including skin complexsion, so NW's theory is just as valid as yours.

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I1 (M253)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

Ethnic group
    European mix

Thanks for the link Anthro-. Interesting to note that of the three groups tested, the one with the lowest testosterone level was also the shortest.

Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b Z2109
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1c

Ethnic group
    Citizen of the world

Quote Originally Posted by nordicwarbler View Post
    Thanks for the link Anthro-. Interesting to note that of the three groups tested, the one with the lowest testosterone level was also the shortest.
    Another thing to look at, in this context, is the amount of testosterone receptors. One can have high testosterone level but also can feature very few testosterone/androgen receptors. This combination will produce symptoms comparable to low testosterone level.
    Be wary of people who tend to glorify the past, underestimate the present, and demonize the future.

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I1 (M253)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

Ethnic group
    European mix

Quote Originally Posted by LeBrok View Post
    Another thing to look at, in this context, is the amount of testosterone receptors. One can have high testosterone level but also can feature very few testosterone/androgen receptors. This combination will produce symptoms comparable to low testosterone level.
    Very true. I wonder if the genetic researchers are looking for items like this.

Level
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 3

1 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
    Well I'm not sure if you match up with cretin people bro you'd have to decide by yourself lollll, no but seriously, yes if you share the same haplogroup group as someone, even if you live in a country where most people are a different haplogroup, it means you cluster more with individuals from other areas/countries that have the same haplogroup as you, there are subclades or subgroups within haplogroups also that have their own places of distribution, but overall, being in the same haplogroup as someone pretty much indicates you have the same region of origin. So if your an italian J2 (20% national level) you have origins in Mesopotamia/ the Fertile Crescent ( the northern Iraq/turkey/Syria region of the Middle East). If your a E1b1b italian ( 10% national level) you find your origins somewhere in North Africa ( possibly Egypt, Tunisia, Algeria etc.) if your a G2a italian (6-8%) you are probably linked to the central Caucasus adyghe I people or certain Georgians, Azeris) note that J2 is also found in Georgians and Azeris, if your R1b italian (50%) your closest to where highest R1b frequencies are found ( Irish , English, French , Belgian) but then your subgroup also tells a very crucial part of the story...most Italians from example are R1b U-152, this is a branch of R1b found most frequently in north-central Italy, Switzerland and France. So most R1b Italians have a branch of R1b making them similar to Swiss and French men, same for all other haplogroups ad their subclades. And don't worry about the questions, we like them! : ) this is what this wonderful forum is for so ask away all day : )
    Totally agree, the phenotype also confirming your post, but the south Italians do not accept their past and they get angry with this subject. They consider themselves "Mediterranean" without ancestry in Africa and Mesopotamia (their DNA is for the 50% J2 and E1bu1) and of course they do not consider "Mediterranean" the country such Egypt, Tunisia, Algeria, Iraq, etc. ... strange, right?

King Achievements:
    Three Friends10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 812
    Overall activity: 7.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    EV13 A7136 y18675G+
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

Quote Originally Posted by feduzzonitti View Post
    Totally agree, the phenotype also confirming your post, but the south Italians do not accept their past and they get angry with this subject. They consider themselves "Mediterranean" without ancestry in Africa and Mesopotamia (their DNA is for the 50% J2 and E1bu1) and of course they do not consider "Mediterranean" the country such Egypt, Tunisia, Algeria, Iraq, etc. ... strange, right?
    Hello feduzzonitti, How interesting. Can you please refer to haplogroups and percentages in South Italy that are directly related to Egypt, Tunisa Algeria (I think you forgot Morrocco and Libya in your analyse) Iraq etc? Many thanks.

Welcome to the forum by the way

Level
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 3

0 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maleth View Post
    Hello feduzzonitti, How interesting. Can you please refer to haplogroups and percentages in South Italy that are directly related to Egypt, Tunisa Algeria (I think you forgot Morrocco and Libya in your analyse) Iraq etc? Many thanks.

Welcome to the forum by the way
    There is a funny video on youtube, you can find it search: Russel Peters-Speaking Italianit is really true but referred about the south italians.

King Achievements:
    Three Friends10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 812
    Overall activity: 7.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    EV13 A7136 y18675G+
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
    There is a funny video on youtube, you can find it serach: Italian-Indian

it is really true.
    Thats a good one, though he is referring to Italians not southern ones (I hope that dosen't make you angry ) more related to the humor thread. Standing comedians are great just love them.

Something more related to the subject since I was curious with your interesting analysis. I thought you had a new study or something similar.

• A 2013 study by Peristera Paschou et al. confirms that the Mediterranean Sea has acted as a strong barrier to gene flow through geographic isolation following initial settlements. Samples from (Northern) Italy, Tuscany, Sicily and Sardinia are closest to other Southern Europeans from Iberia, the Balkans and Greece, who are in turn closest to the Neolithic migrants that spread farming throughout Europe, represented here by the Cappadocian sample from Anatolia. But there hasn't been any significant admixture from the Middle East or North Africa into Italy and the rest of Southern Europe since then.[29]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_history_of_Italy

Elite member Achievements:
    OverdriveThree Friends5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 253

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I-S185
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5b2b

Ethnic group
    Italian

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
    Do you really think that?i think you are a ***** of a 'friend of mine'
    By the way the Berber-North African haplogroup in South Italy is 1,5% in Sicily and 0,8% in the Mainlander Southern Italy which is a very negligible percentage. J2 is high but came from the neolithic revolution and not by Arab conquest etc. since Arabs carry J1 and this haplogroup is not that common in the South Italy.
    E1b1b1 is mostly Balkan (E-V13) or with other subclades like E-M35, E-M123 who are also present in the rest of South Europe. Even in the North Italy.
    Phenotypes?look at these photos and you can see the big differences.

Sicilians the first two

These are from Calabria

Campania

Lecce

And now.

Iraq

Tunisians

Moroccans

If you think that they look alike you are blind.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b Z2109
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1c

Ethnic group
    Citizen of the world

Quote Originally Posted by Hauteville View Post
    Do you really think that?i think you are a ***** of a 'friend of mine'
    By the way the Berber-North African haplogroup in South Italy is 1,5% in Sicily and 0,8% in the Mainlander Southern Italy which is a very negligible percentage. J2 is high but came from the neolithic revolution and not by Arab conquest etc. since Arabs carry J1 and this haplogroup is not that common in the South Italy.
    E1b1b1 is mostly Balkan (E-V13) or with other subclades like E-M35, E-M123 who are also present in the rest of South Europe. Even in the North Italy.
    Phenotypes?look at these photos and you can see the big differences.

Sicilians the first two.
    Stop acting so defensive and desperate to prove that there are no genetic connections of South Italy to other mediterranean populations. It doesn't say much about Algerians or Lebanese but it says a lot about you, about set of your mind.

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I-S185
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5b2b

Ethnic group
    Italian

Quote Originally Posted by LeBrok View Post
    Stop acting so defensive and desperate to prove that there are no genetic connections of South Italy to other mediterranean populations. It doesn't say much about Algerians or Lebanese but it says a lot about you, about set of your mind.
    Lol just like other southern Europeans we have some connection with other Mediterranean people but certainly we don't look nothing with north african and iraqis like that Feduzzo said. Look at my photos before to talk, easy to talk about stereotypes without set foot in South Italy!

Tagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 234

Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-PF1975
    MtDNA haplogroup
    K1a9

Ethnic group
    Ashkenazi Jewish

Lol just like other southern Europeans we have some connection with other Mediterranean people but certainly we don't look nothing with north african and iraqis like that Feduzzo said. Look at my photos before to talk, easy to talk about stereotypes without set foot in South Italy!
    Are you from southern Italy?

Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Overall activity: 99.6%

Ethnic group
    Italian

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Well, I can't speak for Hauteville, but I certainly don't suffer from NEAD (Near Eastern Aversion Disorder...my own pop psych category, I hasten to add) and I also get pretty tired of this constant drumbeat about southern Italians from anthrofora types.

I believe there are one or two unfortunate souls who spend at least 18 hours a day in their mothers' basements churning out thousands of posts like this all over anthrofora. One young man now has City Data sites devoted to it, and a whole raft of Youtube videos. Lucky you if your attention hasn't been drawn to this phenomena.

The only difference between me and Hauteville is that I treat such posts with the disregard that they deserve. Well, at least most of the time. :)

Ed. I think the comments by our new poster have to be put in context in terms of the source and the motivation behind it.

Non si fa il proprio dovere perchè qualcuno ci dica grazie, lo si fa per principio, per se stessi, per la propria dignità. Oriana Fallaci

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I-S185
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5b2b

Ethnic group
    Italian

Quote Originally Posted by John Doe View Post
    Are you from southern Italy?
    Yes and we doesn't certainly look like North African and Iraqis.

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-PF1975
    MtDNA haplogroup
    K1a9

Ethnic group
    Ashkenazi Jewish

Yes and we doesn't certainly look like North African and Iraqis.
    There are however those Moroccans from the northwestern tip of Morocco that tend to have a high rate of blue eyes and red or blonde hair. not all north Africans are the same. In fact, there's a huge difference between say, north Libyans and their southern countrymen, were talking about a Berber/Arab population in the north and a Sub Saharan one in the south.

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I-S185
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5b2b

Ethnic group
    Italian

Quote Originally Posted by John Doe View Post
    There are however those Moroccans from the northwestern tip of Morocco that tend to have a high rate of blue eyes and red or blonde hair. not all north Africans are the same. In fact, there's a huge difference between say, north Libyans and their southern countrymen, were talking about a Berber/Arab population in the north and a Sub Saharan one in the south.
    I know very well North Africans and I have also been there and even the purest Berbers (like Zidane) stand out everywhere in Italy. Few cases can pass in Southern Italy. The poster feduzzonitti is probably a guy who want to say that to trigger an hatred. He could b a Lega Nord member or to better say a ***** of someone i know or something like that.

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-PF1975
    MtDNA haplogroup
    K1a9

Ethnic group
    Ashkenazi Jewish

I know very well North Africans and I have also been there and even the purest Berbers (like Zidane) stand out everywhere in Italy. Few cases can pass in Southern Italy. The poster feduzzonitti is probably a guy who want to say that to trigger an hatred. He is probably a Lega Nord member or something like that.
    How much Greek influence do you think exists in southern Italy and eastern Sicily (perhaps less so culturally as that has been overtaken by Romanisation 2,000 years ago but genetically, i.e IBD with Greeks)?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast