Survey: were your turbulent as a child and aggressive as a teenager ?

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
I would like to determine if there is any relationship at all between Y-chromosomal DNA and aggressive character. It is certain that character, and temperament in particular is highly hereditary. It is also undeniable that the function of the Y chromosome is to promote masculine traits and to produce testosterone. So in all likelihood there should be a link between a man's Y chromosome and how aggressive/assertive he is. In fact, a 2009 study found that Pakistani men belonging to hg R1a or R2 were considerably more aggressive than other Pakistani men (who belonged mainly to hg G, H, J2, and L).

Being aggressive does not just mean being prone to violent behaviour, but also being verbally aggressive, argumentative, uncooperative, stubborn/obstinate, and having a generally more competitive attitude towards others. For kids, natural aggressiveness also translate as being temperamental, being a bad loser, doing the opposite of what one is told, and so on - although this will also depend on the child's upbringing and social environment.

I have the chance (for the purpose of genetic comparisons) to have a large extended family, and I have tested enough male lineages to be able to compare members of at least some haplogroups. My observations make no doubt that R1b boys are/were far more turbulent and aggressive than those of other haplogroups, and hg I in particular (by far the least turbulent or aggressive).

Adults tend to be formatted by their education and influenced by their environment and society. In rich and peaceful countries it usually means that people are less aggressive as adults, or at least have more controlled reactions.

Please mention on a scale from 1 to 5 how aggressive you'd consider yourself as a child/teenager. You can also add male relatives sharing the same Y-DNA or who also tested their Y-DNA line.

1 - very peaceful
2 - more peaceful than average
3 - normal, average
4 - more aggressive than average
5 - very aggressive

4 - more aggressive then average.

I can say all my cousins share the same scale (YDNA).

4 for me, but I would classify my brother as 2 (I would classify my mother as 4 and my father as 2). Also I have a daughter who is not less aggressive, independent and even more stubborn than I. I'm pretty sure that she doesn't have Y chromosome. :)
I would say that if Y chromosome gives more aggression and independence, it is not by a big factor. Not more than 10% of effect. It will be hard to notice, but still statistically relevant if exists.

I would like to determine if there is any relationship at all between Y-chromosomal DNA and aggressive character. It is certain that character, and temperament in particular is highly hereditary. It is also undeniable that the function of the Y chromosome is to promote masculine traits and to produce testosterone. So in all likelihood there should be a link between a man's Y chromosome and how aggressive/assertive he is. In fact, a 2009 study found that Pakistani men belonging to hg R1a or R2 were considerably more aggressive than other Pakistani men (who belonged mainly to hg G, H, J2, and L).

Being aggressive does not just mean being prone to violent behaviour, but also being verbally aggressive, argumentative, uncooperative, stubborn/obstinate, and having a generally more competitive attitude towards others. For kids, natural aggressiveness also translate as being temperamental, being a bad loser, doing the opposite of what one is told, and so on - although this will also depend on the child's upbringing and social environment.

I have the chance (for the purpose of genetic comparisons) to have a large extended family, and I have tested enough male lineages to be able to compare members of at least some haplogroups. My observations make no doubt that R1b boys are/were far more turbulent and aggressive than those of other haplogroups, and hg I in particular (by far the least turbulent or aggressive).

Adults tend to be formatted by their education and influenced by their environment and society. In rich and peaceful countries it usually means that people are less aggressive as adults, or at least have more controlled reactions.

Please mention on a scale from 1 to 5 how aggressive you'd consider yourself as a child/teenager. You can also add male relatives sharing the same Y-DNA or who also tested their Y-DNA line.

1 - very peaceful
2 - more peaceful than average
3 - normal, average
4 - more aggressive than average
5 - very aggressive
I was, I guess 4 I am J2a4h

I'm assuming this is carry over from our early discussion this morning (see "interesting coincidence between R1b and high GDP" thread).

I'd like to clarify my hg. I (esp. I1) aggressiveness stance. I1 are probably pretty even keeled on a day to day basis, but when the anger arrives... look out. I think the term BESERKER can be traced to I1 specifically. Kind of an Incredible Hulk thing.

The old "Don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry." situation.

I can remember getting picked on by older, larger kids (on more than one occasion) and evening the odds by picking up a large rock and cracking them over the head with it. I don't doubt the Berserker syndrome is a real biological event.

Last edited:
4 - more aggressive then average, J2b*.

I can be quite aggressive and was at times aggressive growing up when I needed to be.

2 - more peaceful than average, I2c.

I was only agressive in the 3rd grade due to a prescription drug side effect but for most of my days growing up I was a 2

well considering I was kicked out of school for frequent fighting im going with 5,i1

3- normal, average

Maybe a bit competitive

I am not too sure if aggressivness is totally linked to the Y-haplogroup alone. Myself, R1a, was/is 3-4 (depends on the situation). My father about the same, or more peaceful (again, it depends). My maternal uncle is I1 and tends to be extremely aggressive, 4-5. His sister, my mother, tended to be quite aggressive and competitive/ambitious herself; therfore there must be something else here, too.

I'm more peaceful than average but not afraid to defend myself in an aggressive manner, but that is not the same thing as being aggressive. The same is true for my father and grandfather, although my father is a bit more hot-headed than me and my grandfather, so on those observations your idea of I being less aggressive appears to hold true in my family.

I am not too sure if aggressivness is totally linked to the Y-haplogroup alone. Myself, R1a, was/is 3-4 (depends on the situation). My father about the same, or more peaceful (again, it depends). My maternal uncle is I1 and tends to be extremely aggressive, 4-5. His sister, my mother, tended to be quite aggressive and competitive/ambitious herself; therfore there must be something else here, too.
I would say it is mostly something else. There might be a small influence of Y DNA in this department though.

Peaceful until provoked and or witnessing an injustice, then had no problem being aggressive towards others. It would seem to fit a description as aggression as a defense against those who are aggressive, and peaceful with those who are peaceful.

4 - more aggressive then average.
Same with my 2 brothers.

R-L150

Peaceful until provoked and or witnessing an injustice, then had no problem being aggressive towards others. It would seem to fit a description as aggression as a defense against those who are aggressive, and peaceful with those who are peaceful.

What y-haplogroup are you a member of James? Your description matches me to a tee. Injustice seems to be my trigger.

4- I hesitated to put 5, but needless to say I've always been quite violent... J-L147.1 btw.
My great grandfather was known to be a brute.

What y-haplogroup are you a member of James? Your description matches me to a tee. Injustice seems to be my trigger.
I didn't see your post, Nordic, I apologize for that.

I haven't had my genome sequenced, but I descend from the Southern part of Croatia.

I was a climber always getting into things as an child. Somewhat aggressive as a teenager, I still have a hard time sitting still and being idle.

This thread has been viewed 17765 times.

Back