Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The Armenians, fathers of the Etruscans.

Regular Member Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 87
    Overall activity: 0%

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Without actual Etruscan aDNA everything here is a speculation. Adna is very impredictable.

VeteranThree Friends25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 51
    Overall activity: 37.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 -Z19945..Jura
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H95a1 ..Pannoni

Ethnic group
    North Alpine Italian

Quote Originally Posted by Azzurro View Post
    Thanks Sile for the theories, Ugarite was considered a Northwest Semitic language as well, what I was trying to get across was that J2 was native to Northern Levant atleast some subclades, and they would have been Northwest Semitic speaking peoples or helped spread it, like Pheonicians, Aramaics, and Israelites, however we cannot be certain that the Hittites were J2, though I personally believe they had a nice chunk, but it was the Cilicians, Hurrians and Ugarites that were involved with the Northern Levant as natives, the Hitties were Indo-european the other three weren't. I think some J2 was native Semitic Speaking as some were Indo-european or adapted cultures. I don't think there is a correlation between Phoenicians and Hittites, but rather Cilicians, Hurrians, and Ugarities would have had some even if the Hitties controlled the area.
    Ciliciians could be pre-armenians arriving there around 100BC until 1200AD

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armeni...dom_of_Cilicia

the hurrians could be the same as the Mitanni ...........pre-Kurdish people ..........did they speak semitic ?......I doubt that
    có che un pòpoło no 'l defende pi ła só łéngua el xe prónto par èser s'ciavo

when a people no longer dares to defend its language it is ripe for slavery.

Viscount Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsThree FriendsVeteran
    Level
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Overall activity: 2.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    J-Y15222
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5a2b5

Ethnic group
    Italian

Sile, the Mitanni were Indo-Aryan speaking, for me it represents the ruling class, the locals Hurrians would most likely have been J2 along the Cilicans, what I was trying to say in the earlier post is some J2 was native in Semitic speaking areas, lets say the Phoencians they spoke Punic a Semitic language and had Some J2 lineages, when they would settle in other areas of the Mediterranean they would spread their J2 which would have been Semitic speaking, basically what I am trying to say is Some J2 subclades adapted the Semitic language, I don't think they were originally Semitic speakers but rather adapted, so some J2 is associated with Semites.

Junior Member Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 65

Y-DNA haplogroup
    J2a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H2a

Ethnic group
    Armenian

Quote Originally Posted by adamo View Post
    Turks and Azeris and Lebanese are Semitic they all have J2 and J1 also, but Semites such as Jews are predominantly j2, there's also an intrusive invading E element in Semites that is correct, it was absorbed by them. There was a proto-European substratum across Italy long before the north-mesopotamians of the Neolithic and Greeks of j2 arrived.
    Jews are not predominantly J2. They are J1 (Semitic). J2 (Indo-European) had a solely Anatolian/Armenian Highlands point of origin. Hence the fact around 40% of Iranians, a large component of Caucasus Mountains peoples, Balkan, and Tuscans belong to that yDNA Hg

Tagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 234

Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-PF1975
    MtDNA haplogroup
    K1a9

Ethnic group
    Ashkenazi Jewish

Quote Originally Posted by femekh View Post
    Jews are not predominantly J2. They are J1 (Semitic). J2 (Indo-European) had a solely Anatolian/Armenian Highlands point of origin. Hence the fact around 40% of Iranians, a large component of Caucasus Mountains peoples, Balkan, and Tuscans belong to that yDNA Hg
    Actually, I believe for AJs J2 is more common than J1.

Moderator Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassThree Friends25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Most Popular

Level
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 556

Ethnic group
    Multiracial Brazilian

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by femekh View Post
    That SOME Indo-European peoples have a lot of J2 doesn't lead us to conclude that J2 is Indo-European, especially if J2 is clearly found in high percentages only where Indo-Europeans neighbor non-IE peoples or have absorbed en masse non-IE Middle Eastern peoples even in historic and documented times, like Armenians (< Urartians and Hurrians), and Iranians (< Elamites, Assyrians etc.).

Moderator Achievements:
    Level
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 590
    Overall activity: 56.0%

Ethnic group
    Italian

Quote Originally Posted by adamo View Post
    The Etruscans allied themselves with the Carthaginians as their interests collided with those of the Greeks.
    Even Romans were allied with the Carthaginians. Etruscans allied with the Carthaginians only after the Greeks from Phocaea
    founded colonies in Corsica and this happened around V-VI century BC. Etruscans were so close to Greeks before that that long ago the Etruscans had various thesaurus in temples of Greece.

Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 27

Y-DNA haplogroup
    E V13
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H12

I would be quite curious about the genetics of the Elba island. If Sardinia was a safe heaven for what was left of the old EEF, maybe Elba does the same for Ethruscans. Just an hypothesis.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Eupedia Forum mobile app

Moderator Achievements:
    Level
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 590
    Overall activity: 56.0%

Ethnic group
    Italian

Quote Originally Posted by Bergin View Post
    I would be quite curious about the genetics of the Elba island. If Sardinia was a safe heaven for what was left of the old EEF, maybe Elba does the same for Ethruscans. Just an hypothesis.
    Elba is very close to mainland Italy, only an hour by ferry, and the southern part was even under the Spanish rule; Elba has never been an "isolated" island.

Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%

Ethnic group
    Italian

This is pure speculation so give it the attention, or more likely, the lack of attention it deserves. :)

A lot people, including me and Italian researchers who looked at the mtDna of the Etruscans, have speculated that the modern people who are probably the most like the ancient "Etruscans" might still be living in the southern Tuscany/Lazio area where they were the most concentrated. They couldn't all have disappeared, at least I hope not. They're my favorite ancient civilization. The Romans would have been nothing without them, imo.

I know the ancient mtDna studies don't show any continuity with modern people in Italy, but uniparental markers can drift out of the genome, and they didn't do broad testing of the modern population.

Now, don't anyone dare throw this post at my head when we finally get a fully sequenced "Etruscan" genome for comparison! :) This is sheer speculation, and a tentative one at that.

I just noticed that half of Lina Cavalieri's ancestry came from an Etruscan stronghold: Viterbo. The other half is Marchigiana, but I don't know the actual town. :)

Non si fa il proprio dovere perchè qualcuno ci dica grazie, lo si fa per principio, per se stessi, per la propria dignità. Oriana Fallaci

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234