The Armenians, fathers of the Etruscans.

Jews are not predominantly J2. They are J1 (Semitic). J2 (Indo-European) had a solely Anatolian/Armenian Highlands point of origin. Hence the fact around 40% of Iranians, a large component of Caucasus Mountains peoples, Balkan, and Tuscans belong to that yDNA Hg

That SOME Indo-European peoples have a lot of J2 doesn't lead us to conclude that J2 is Indo-European, especially if J2 is clearly found in high percentages only where Indo-Europeans neighbor non-IE peoples or have absorbed en masse non-IE Middle Eastern peoples even in historic and documented times, like Armenians (< Urartians and Hurrians), and Iranians (< Elamites, Assyrians etc.).

The Etruscans allied themselves with the Carthaginians as their interests collided with those of the Greeks.

Even Romans were allied with the Carthaginians. Etruscans allied with the Carthaginians only after the Greeks from Phocaea
founded colonies in Corsica and this happened around V-VI century BC. Etruscans were so close to Greeks before that that long ago the Etruscans had various thesaurus in temples of Greece.

I would be quite curious about the genetics of the Elba island. If Sardinia was a safe heaven for what was left of the old EEF, maybe Elba does the same for Ethruscans. Just an hypothesis.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Eupedia Forum mobile app

I would be quite curious about the genetics of the Elba island. If Sardinia was a safe heaven for what was left of the old EEF, maybe Elba does the same for Ethruscans. Just an hypothesis.

Elba is very close to mainland Italy, only an hour by ferry, and the southern part was even under the Spanish rule; Elba has never been an "isolated" island.

This is pure speculation so give it the attention, or more likely, the lack of attention it deserves. :)

A lot people, including me and Italian researchers who looked at the mtDna of the Etruscans, have speculated that the modern people who are probably the most like the ancient "Etruscans" might still be living in the southern Tuscany/Lazio area where they were the most concentrated. They couldn't all have disappeared, at least I hope not. They're my favorite ancient civilization. The Romans would have been nothing without them, imo.

s4oncv1.jpg

I know the ancient mtDna studies don't show any continuity with modern people in Italy, but uniparental markers can drift out of the genome, and they didn't do broad testing of the modern population.

Now, don't anyone dare throw this post at my head when we finally get a fully sequenced "Etruscan" genome for comparison! :) This is sheer speculation, and a tentative one at that.

I just noticed that half of Lina Cavalieri's ancestry came from an Etruscan stronghold: Viterbo. The other half is Marchigiana, but I don't know the actual town. :)

This thread has been viewed 58529 times.

Back