Old Europe (Vinca) language and culture in early layers of Serbian and Irish language

Status
Not open for further replies.
Serbian - Papuča (pronounced papuche)
English - slipper
Albanian - papuce (pronounced papuche)
Norwegian - papoċċ
French - babouche
Spanish - babucha
Russian - тапочка (tapuchka)

It looks like it's an old Indo-European word. It has no particular connection with serbian.

Kamani

It looks like it's an old Indo-European word. It has no particular connection with serbian.

Look again at all the languages where the word Papucha is used. They are south Slavic and surrounding languages where the word came from south Slavic. In Spanish and french the word came in from north African and is not the main word used in both french and spanish as they say themselves. in Russian it probably came along the atlantic - baltic- volga route.

I made a mistake about Norwegian. Norwegian word is actually tøffel. papoċċ is used in Malta probably from north Africa. As Malta is just next to Norway on the list i made cut and paste error...Sorry

If you are looking at Indoeuropean word look at Latin and Greek and all the pantófla words you find everywhere...by the way in Serbian we also have word patofna for slipper...

So Indoeuropean possible but not very likely when you add the words "gilje" and "opanak" in the mixture...

Thanks for your post anyway...

Maybe pampootie (paputie, papuche, Papuche) all come from papuk or papak or have the same root with the word papak. Papak is Serbian word for cloven hoof found in sheep, pigs, goats, cows and deer.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/papak

A cloven hoof is a hoof split into two toes. This is found on members of the mammalian order Artiodactyla. Examples of mammals that possess this type of hoof are deer and sheep.[1]
The two digits of cloven hoofed animals are homologous to the third and fourth fingers of the hand. They are called claws and are named for their relative location on the foot: the outer, or lateral, claw and the inner, or medial claw. The space between the two claws is called the interdigital cleft; the area of skin is called the interdigital skin. The hard outer covering of the hoof is called the hoof wall, or horn. It is a hard surface, similar to the human fingernail.[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloven_hoof

The hard outer covering can be pilled off with a knife and it resembles a shoe a covering for the soft bottom of the foot or hoof.

In folklore and popular culture, a cloven hoof has long been associated with the Devil.

This is quite interesting as it gives us a link into Irish:

péac - peak, point
áibhirseoir - adversary, devil

péac ón áibhirseoir - expression meaning limb of satan, and because satan has sheep or goats limbs, the limb of satan is cloven hoof of a sheep or a goat. so péac is cloven hoof as well.

ba - root word for many words associated with sheep, and an onomatopoeic word for sheep as well so it probably is the old word for sheep.

babag - tassle, bunch or hair, wool
bachlag - a shoot, a curl, Irish bachlóg. This word is intersting.
bachal - shepards staff
bàbhun - enclosure for cattle (sheep), ring fort. In medieval Serbian and Bosnian documents there is repeated mention of Babuni as being the simple folk, sheppards, mountain people, non christians and babun language which was banned.
bàdhan - a churchyard (Sutherland), i.e. "enclosure", same as bàbhun.
bán - white (like wool. olann (irish) = woolen (english) = vunen (serbian))
banair - sheep fold
Cabhan = grassy hill
Gabhan - cattle pond. In serbian shepard is čoban, but shepard's hooded rain gown is kabanica (gabanica). Was the original word for shepard in Serbian Gaban?

bá - stupid (in Serbia we say stupid like a sheep)

so

ba + péac = bapéac = papak = cloven hoof...

bapéaca - bapuca - pampoota -papuča - what is pulled over a hoof or a foot to protected it???

Interesting anyway.

the Greek word is neither pantofla neither papucce,

the word is σανδαλιον υποδημα υποποδιον πασουμιον etc

pantofla papucce exist in modern Greek but are loan

yet papucce can be explain in Greek as component υπο+πους
the word is πους pus means foot is IE
but
nomit pus
posses podos
aff poda
so as component we use podos instead of pus (ποδος πους)
so in greek the component form for shoe goes υποποδιον
and if covers all foot is epapodion
but as pus (foot pied) in another IE language can be used as pus instead of podos.
so papucce means around and top of foot επα+πους -ε = πα+πους = papucce.
simmilar is pandofla pandoffel, compare pied in Francais etc

but as papucce pendoffel etc I think is different not PIE but from a later daughter language, but based upon IE word for foot πους pied etc

Hi Yetos

Thanks for this. It is good to get an opinion of a native speaker. The Balkan language i am talking about predates the arrival of Greeks to the Balkan. So I am not surprised to find these words in Greek.

I have this correspondence with someone regarding my last post on another thread. I believe it is worth posting it here as well.

hi Garry

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

I think you are indulging in a little etymological shoe-horning in order to forge a connection between Irish and Serbian words that may not exist.

I like how shoehorning sounds in this context :)

Just few clarifications:

péac ón áibhirseoir = 'limb of Satan'

This is not my interpretation. I found it in Focloir Gaeilge-Bearla/Irish-English Dictionary as one of the phrases where the word péac is used. Now from this i deduced, and maybe i am wrong, that péac can also mean a sheep or goat or cow limlb (cloven hoof). I hope this makes things a little clearer about this etymology. By the way i recommend the dictionary it is excellent.

This seems to be based upon MacBain again. His etymological dictionary refers to Scottish Gaelic, not Irish.

I try to consult as many sources relating to both Irish and Scottish Gaelic. I do that because some old (Celtic Serbian Irish) words were preserved better in Scotland than in Ireland. In Ireland they were sometimes gaelicised almost beyond recognition.

The Irish for sheep is caora or caorach. It has nothing to do with 'ba'.

Agreed, never claimed that the Irish word for sheep is ba. I said that it might have been. In modern Serbian the word for sheep is ovca, but in old Serbian we find brav or b(a)rav. The reason why i suggested the existence of word "ba" is because from what i have found so far all the major domestic and wild animals in Serbian have onomatopoeic names. So sheep would be "baaaa" or "baeee" or "beee". Why do i think that people originally used characteristic sounds of animals as their names? Because we are talking the beginning of the language. There were no words, yet people wanted to communicate and pass a message. In case of sheep, the message was simple: Look there is a sheep! Except that they did not have a word for sheep and even if someone decided to call a sheep a sheep, he had no way of explaining to the others what sheep is, because there was no language yet. But everyone have seen a sheep, and have heard a sheep. So if you imitate the sound of a sheep, everyone knows what you are talking about. So "baaa" or "ba" conveys the message: "look there is a sheep" perfectly and simply. Later on people invented other words for sheep, but that was much later when they had a language as means to associate these "sheep" words with "sheep" meaning.

In Irish and in Serbian we have similar onomatopoeic name for cow "bo". This comes from the actual sound of cows which is something between "mpbvooo", "mpbvoouu" "mpbvuuu". Here is a recording:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_EsxukdNXM

You can see that i have put "mpbv" at the beginning. "mpbv" it the undifferentiated sound created by opening your lips and blowing air out. You start with m then go to p then to b and at the very end you get v. This is exactly what you hear when you are listening to cows, and probably what people imitated when they wanted to tell each other that there is a cow somewhere around. Another reason why i put "mpbv" at the beginning of the word is because it is quite difficult to differentiate these sounds without proper training. This is why babies are "babbling", which means they are making "mpbv" sound until they acquire a sufficient control of their speech apparatus. Today this is relatively easy as we get a lot of this skill prepackaged in our genes through epigenetic inheritances, although not everyone gets the same genes and this is why we have languages that sound different. But at the beginning of the language development, people were still trying to learn how to control their mouths to make differentiated sounds and this is why i believe they used "mpbv" sound in "mpbvaaa" or "mpbvoo". This is also the reason why we have words like this:

bó (Irish) - cow
vo (Serbian) - cow, or castrated bull, or bull used for agricultural activities and not for mating (cattle).

but we also have all these other bo (vo) related words in Serbian which don't exist in Irish:

bo - stab
bosti - to stab
ubo - stabbed
bodež - knife

But also this:

A boyar, or bolyar (Bulgarian: боляр or болярин; Ukrainian: буй or боярин; Russian: боя́рин, tr. boyarin; IPA: [bɐˈjarʲɪn]; Romanian: boier [boˈjer] (help·info); Greek: βογιάρος), was a member of the highest rank of the feudal Bulgarian, Moscovian, Kievan Rus'ian, Wallachian, and Moldavian aristocracies, second only to the ruling princes (in Bulgaria, tsars), from the 10th century to the 17th century. The rank has lived on as a surname in Russia, Romania, and Finland, where it is spelt Pajari.[1]

Etymology

The word is likely derived from the plural form of the Bulgarian title boila ("noble"), bolyare, which is attested in Bulgar inscriptions[2][3] and rendered as boilades or boliades in the Greek of Byzantine documents.[4][5] Its ultimate derivation is probably from the Turkic roots bai ("noble, rich"; cf. "bey") and är ("man, men").[4] Another possible etymology of the term it may come from the Romanian word "boi" (bulls); a rich man is an owner of bulls or "boier".[6] The title entered Old Russian as быля (bylya)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boyar

Let me suggest alternative etymology which corresponds with already proposed romanian one. Tho word Boyar comes from bó + àire = cow (cattle) + lord. We actially find bó àire in Irish texts describing the Iron age proliferation of ring forts, where each ring fort was owned by a bóàire or a cattle lord. This title was imposed on the Eastern Slavs during the process of merging of the Central European Celts (Western Slavs) and the Rus (Eastern Slavs). Remember how Dumha means tumulus in Irish, but also a place of councils, parliament in Russian. In old Ireland tumuluses were used as places of tribal councils and parliaments where kings were elected for instance. In Brega one of the tumuluses was actually converted into a royal fort. This merging of Celts and Russ basically meant that Celtic (Serbian, west Slavic) military elite became ruling caste of the Russ. This process was described in "The book of Veles" a much disputed ancient Slavic manuscript, but which i believe to be based on actual histories because i found in it things that could not have been invented in 19th or 20th century as the knowledge necessary to forge these things did not exist at the time. From that period of merging we have these words as well:

Mol, Moladh (Irish). Meanings

commend(vt)
commend(vt)
hub(n m1)(of wheel)
nominate(vt)(propose)
propose(vt)
praise(vt)
recommend(vt)
suggest(vt)

Mol, Molba (Serbian). Meanings

Praise
Beg
Plead
Suggest

Mol-im te bože - I beg you, I praise you god
Mol-ba Pleading
Mol-io bih - If i could suggest

Moladjec (Molad je (e) - c) - recommended is - a commendation given to a someone

Badhan/badhún is derived from Medieval Irish for cattle (= ba) + fort (= dún). Your grassy hill (= cabhan) is based on the root word cab/cabha (= mouth/hollow/bend) which itself is related to Latin caberna (= hollow/cave/vault).

As for grassy hill (cabhan) i would suggest another etymology:

bán - white (like wool, or milk). Here i think you can see the old word bá + n as meaning that color which looks like things we get from the thing that says "bá". The word bán could have even been used to denote sheep as wee see here:

àire - attention, care, care, minister, lord

banair - sheep fold. Probably comes from banaire - place for caring, owning, keeping sheep.

Now these two words:

Cabhan = grassy hill
Gabhan - cattle pond. In serbian shepard is čoban, but shepard's hooded rain gown is kabanica (gabanica). Was the original word for shepard in Serbian Gaban?

I believe that they come from the same root: ga + ban = stick, spear, stake + sheep. This perfectly describes sheparding: you go to a grassy hill with your sheep and your stick or spear (ga) where you mind the sheep while they graze. Then you bring them to gaban or sheep, cattle pond where you milk them and protect them during the night. The person who carries a stick (ga) and is minding sheep (ba(n)) is gaban (shepard) and he wears gabanicu (hooded rain gown). Speaking of Badhan/badhún being derived from Medieval Irish for cattle (= ba) + fort (= dún), in Serbian we have another interesting word: katun (gadun). This word means shepards settlement in the mountains during summer grazing period. This comes from Ga (stake) and dun (which actually does not mean fort but enclosure). so Gadun is an enclosure made of stakes, ring fort.

We also have this word

Baodhan, baoghan - a calf.

http://archive.org/stream/gaelicnamesofbea00forbuoft/gaelicnamesofbea00forbuoft_djvu.txt

I actually believe that this word used to mean lamb as well or any cattle (cows, sheep) descendant. This comes from:

ba, bo (sheep, cow)

+

ogha - grandchild, Irish ó, ua, g. ui, a grandson, descendant,

http://www.ceantar.org/Dicts/MB2/mb28.html#MB.O

so ba(o)oghan - a child of a sheep or cow

We also have this cluster of words:

Irish

bleagh - milk
bleachdair - milk man
bleoghainn - milking
agh - field, meadow
le - with, by
leagh (Scottish Gaelic) - melt, thaw, dissolve (in liquid) (make liquid)
leacht (Irish) - liquid
àire - attention, care, care, minister, lord

bleagh = ba + leacht (leagh) = ba + leak = baleak = (pronounced) blek (milk) - literally a liquid you can squeeze from this thing on the meadow which says ba.
bleachdair = ba + leacht (leagh) + àire = (pronounced) blek(d)ar - literally someone who cares for getting liquid squeezed from this thing on the meadow which says ba.

http://www.ceantar.org/Dicts/MB2/mb04.html#blàthach
and
Focloir Gaeilge-Bearla/Irish-English Dictionary

Serbian

bleko = "mpbv"aleko = mleko (milk)
blekar = "mpbv"lekar - mlekar (milk man)
blekan = "mpbv"lekan - mlekan (made of milk, to milk)

Interestingly in Serbian we call sounding of sheep "ble". This probably comes from ba + le = sound produced by sheep...

Here we have another interesting word probably related to cattle (sheep, cows) but also women, which were in the olden days considered to be a property in the same way as cattle.

Ban, Bana - woman, girl, female. I think it is interesting how similar this is to Ba, Bo, Ban for sheep and cow. By the way in Bosnia there is a word "bona" which means woman.

Now in the olden days (I like this expression, i got it from Peppa pig which i watch with my son), bands of warriors used to go into cattle and women raids. The aim was to steal as much cattle or women from the enemy tribe. In Irish a group of men is called dáil. From this word we have gardáil from ga(r) (spear) + dáil (group of men) = men with spears.

So from ba(n) cattle, women and dáil (group of men) we have bandáil which is in modern Irish used to mean assembly of women (what ever that means) but originally probably had the meaning of "gang of men going to steal cattle and women". This is probably where word Vandal (bandail) comes from. Vandali, Bandali were probably just gangs of men from Central Europe on gian cattle and women raid. In Serbian and other languages we still have the word "banda" which means exactly that (a gang):

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/banda

This is just one of the words that entered Latin from this central European "Celtic" (Serbian, western Slavic) language.

While we are talking about cattle here are few more words which are the same in Serbian and Irish and is related to cattle:

tuar (Irish) - dung, manure, cattle field, sheep run
tor (Serbian) - sheep run

gùn (Irish) - gown, Irish gúna; from the English gown, from Welsh gwn (*gwun), from Celtic *vo-ouno-

gunj (Serbian) - gown made from wool (vuna is wool in Serbian)

http://www.ceantar.org/Dicts/MB2/mb22.html

I think you are indulging in a little etymological shoe-horning in order to forge a connection between Irish and Serbian words that may not exist. I would be more amenable to your argument if you showed a better knowledge of the roots of Irish words.

How's this?

Last edited:
When i was in Serbia last month i got few dictionaries that cover specific dialects of Serbian language. One of them covers Dinaric Montenegrian dialect, from the same area where they use word Katun (Gadun) for the Shepard's mountain settlement. In the dictionary they had a whole section dedicated to sheep names, given to them based on their appearance and behavior. I know i am mad. In there i found this:

Bleka - completely white sheep
Blekan - completely white ram

Compare this with

bleagh - milk (white)
bleachdair - milk man
bleoghainn - milking

Also as an example of the interchangeability of the "mpbv" sound group i will expand the "bo" word group in Serbian:

bó (Irish) - cow
vo (Serbian) - cow, or castrated bull, or bull used for agricultural activities and not for mating.
bo - stab (like with horns from bo, vo. This is probably how people got an idea for creating stabbing and impaling weapons in the first place)
bosti - to stab
ubo - stabbed
bodež - knife
boj, voj - battle with sharp objects which you can use to stab, like spears, o knives
bojnik, vojnik, bojovnik - solder, a man that has a sharp objects which you can use to stab, like spears, o knives
bojna, vojna - war, a fight with sharp objects which you can use to stab, like spears, o knives
vojevati - to fight in war
boii - not a tribe but the solders, men with spears?
bojati se - to be afraid

You can see here that b and v are practically interchangeable. This apples to Serbi and Servi in the same way. In the Irish language we don't even have v sound. We have p, b, mh and bh. This is a good illustration of the undifferentiated "mpbv" block being partially differentiated.

Now how old are these words? How old is this language?

To support my theory that the first names of animals with distinct sounds were onomatopoeic, i have here collected the names and sounds of all major European wild and domestic animals. The names are in Serbian and then in English. I would like to ask people here to help me and supply the matching names of animals in other European languages.

I think that it is amazing that every one of the animal names in Serbian is onomatopoeic and very few in English are. As i explained earlier onomatopoeic names were used during the creation of the language, before there was sufficient grammar and word pool to explain the association between the name and the animal. This shows how old the Serbian animal names are. This also says a lot about the age of the Serbian language as a whole.

Most interesting is that the common word for Eagle (Orao) is derived from the sound of the Griffon vulture which only lives in southern Europe. This puts the birth place of Serbian language in the Dinaric Alps.

Wild animals

lav (lion) lions used to live in Europe in distant past.

the sound is laaaow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_22gJ5kB31k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGnEgAVAVIk

vuk, volk, voulk, olk, oulk

the sound is wouuuuulk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9xhOQ26QYI

(wolf)

the sound is wof,wolf
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvHHi3GI1XU

ris (lynx)

the sound is rissss
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbhkXg9iFYA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8eBrv_JKuk

urs, medved (bear). Medved is the euphemistic name for bear in Slavic languages. It is used instead of the real name for bear, as invoking the real name was considered dangerous. The real name is urs.

the sound is urs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGG616qvxBI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz05MkWdr9k

svinja, guda, vepar (pig, boar)

vepar (wild boar)

the sound is veeee
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jniH3HfDo7Q

svinja

the sound is sviiiii
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og5rKt9VYX0

guda (grunting, groktanje)

the sound is goud
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P5FxuwGlzo

elk, elen, jelen (deer stag)

the sound is eeelk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97ORGksHhKw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOEj4xVKN38

how people imitate elks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN9Rr8uM5Q4

kuna (marten)

sounds like koun, kuun
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pACaNzQXn4o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kW2b-npfHuQ
http://sounds.bl.uk/Environment/British-wildlife-recordings/022M-W1CDR0001419-0300V0#_

lasica (weasel)

sounds like lasiiica
http://sounds.bl.uk/Environment/British-wildlife-recordings/022M-W1CDR0001377-1400V0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On_lQ5k8eO8

Lija, Lisica (fox)

sounds like liaaaa
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6NuhlibHsM

jazavac pronounced iazavac (badger)

sounds like iazavava
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwrG_HdH2oY

jež (hedgehog)

sounds like jeezhjezh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w1tIGzOPvo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7VtFnJe-K0

zmija, smija (snake) the ssssss sound comes from the slithereing sound a snake makes in the undergrowth and from the hissing sound an angry snake makes to scare the enemy off

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imR80hOKAJo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQY0b_G_CrI

žaba pronounced zhaba (frog)

sounds like zhabababab
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gn3wFrLxqw

foka - seal

sounds like (f)oook
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-LIqdjqHts

vidra (otter)

sounds like viiii
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUJDmAXsEvs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07zZxaKuKT0

dabar (beaver) the name comes from the sound of wood chewing or maybe from the angry sound

chewing sounds like dabdabdab
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfTubrLqXCE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV8ptd_XU7U

angry beaver sounds like daaaab
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXpSdyFgwvc

veverica (Red squirrel)

sounds like veverver
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Azw7BueVQ0c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8hNASBFDJY

domestic animals

bo,vo (cow)

the sound is mpbvooou
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_EsxukdNXM

ba, barav (sheep)

the sound is baaa
http://www.sheep.com/sounds/baasheep1.wav

koza (goat)

the sound is gooo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giR1o8o5KMw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QU2n8HhOFi0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp0Bt2cbcc8

konj, konjic, (which makes njiii sound, horse)

the sound is niiiii
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq6l5767Iek

mazga (mule)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD90xkKUHYE

magarac

the sound is magaaaa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWS4Eu8E2z4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wDFGU20P9k

kokoska (chicken)

the sound is koko
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI7ni7zL8qU

kokot, oroz, pevac (cockerel)

the sound is kokoreku or ooroso
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFhUzAwDEz4

patka (duck)

the sound is pa(k)pa(k) or k(mpbv)a(k)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlbbCPQqV2k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=487jIOnY-yE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCY8jp2tZ1c

guska, gaska (guse)

the sound is guu, gua
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_28ZtSu1iZM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUtFHPnW5MM

ku(ce), ker, pas (dog)

the sound is ouuuu, kouuuu, ku
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF1lwZ24RYI

the sound is kerrrrr
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y-ewncOomk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuHtyDbyEaA

macka (cat)

the sound is maaaaou
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o52U05Ai5tE

wild birds

orao (eagle)

Griffon vulture, Gyps fulvus, Eurasian griffon. Grifon was one of the symbols of the Serbs

sound is closest to orr, aorr, oarr
http://www.hark.com/clips/tzxdcchmv...us-gyps-fulvus-animal-sound-bird-gyps-fulvus-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktZ11CGKloA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBErXCxqUEA

golden eagle

the sound is very close to igal or ior
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le6aZtJ7WPA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMT5ZL-0yeA

soko (Peregrine Falcon)

sounds like sokosokosoko
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P18xYHPGtRo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNO6acbF7n0

gavran, gabran (raven)

sounds like gaaa
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZBfahJmqAQ

Čavka (Jackdaw)

sounds like chaa
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kihVoeSIE7U

vrana (Crow)

sounds like vraa
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP3pzQnWyb0

kukavica (cucoo)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzKdAr1pLAY

Ćuk pronounced tjuk (Scops Owl)

sounds like tjuk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km3D2jq1HoQ

gugutka (Eurasian Collared Dove)

sounds like gugugu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xACNJcURd5I

golub (wood pidgeon)

sounds like gogolub
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n84sZIN4lv8

galeb (gull)

sounds like gaaal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qRJoMj92hw

jejina (long eared owl)

sounds like yeye
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWpnonRXLfM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM7WPdpiwPc

buljina (Eurasian Eagle-owls)

sounds like bu-uu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gnzzMjbOpw

svraka (magpie)

sounds like svrakakaka
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxtORth2BIY

tetreb (capercaillie)

sounds like tetr
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exKHNaZuT64
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jipvjcP3oxE

štiglic, (Eurasian Siskin)

sounds like shtiii
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeQjBuBaIm8

Češljugar (goldfinch)

sounds like cheshcheshljuu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfjgjA_p3vQ

vrabac, dzivdzan (sparow)

sounds like dzivdziv
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PYZeVT_M5E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHlFKalN0Q

senica (great tit)

sounds like senitc sesenitc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yGy5ZQdq28

roda (stork)

sounds like rodarodarodada
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHWri3VHIVI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YPM3rNfZNI

prepelica (quail)

sounds like prepreprep
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w_GmaKN2Ik

jarebica pronounced iarebitsa (partridge)

sounds like iariariarebieareb
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fe4l0G5KYY

liska (coot)

sounds like liiis liiis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxZFztVX5DQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8_yEtUbTrY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oEy_vPez7o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqPAref2aJk

čaplja pronounced chaplja (Grey Heron)

sounds like chap chap
http://sounds.bl.uk/Environment/British-wildlife-recordings/022M-W1CDR0001431-1200V0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ay3By1RHUM

lastavica (swallow)

sounds like vicviclalalalaaastavicvicvic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgcipZq5oMQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPri_hTK-rM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUjgirdanV4

insects

zrikavac (cricket)

sounds like zrizri
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZo4ZdKbqwg

cvrcak (cicada)

sounds like cvrrrrrr
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bnd6Ty68FU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqys8lKsu4s

muva (fly)

muva (house fly)

sounds like movazzz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcuKTheCcsE

zunzara (bluebottle), obad (gadfly, horsefly) any big loud fly

sounds like zuzzzzz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQiVnxepan4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNUd6cqh5Zk

pčela pronounced pchela but probably comes from (mpbv)(sz)ela like in polish pszczoła (beee)

sounds like mpbvsze
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtK9_EKDg1E

osa (wasp)

sounds like ossssssssss
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0f8vqlmxmY

bumbar (bumblebee)

sounds like bummmm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDMaOdIR9nA

Last edited:
Another interesting things about Serbian animal names is that the only two animal names that don't match the main animal sound on the first syllable are the name for horse and the name for swallow. The horse doeas however make two main sounds of which one sounds like ko or go and the other like njiii, and it is possible that the name is the combination of the two sounds. The swallow name "lastavica" does not match the sound on the first syllable. This is actually to be expected as i used the sound of the barn swallow. Barn swallows are the most common European swallow type today. They nest in barns and cow sheds. When my father went to his parents village last year, the old people complained to him that there are fewer and fewer swallows every year. This is because the vilage is dying, there are only old people left in it and there are fewer and fewer cows and working cow sheds and barns in which swallows can nest. Once cows are gone from the cow shed the swallows are gone next year. Which means no cows in cow sheds no barn swallows. So these barn swallows only arrived with cows and cow sheds, which is well in the time of fully developed language. However before there were any cows in cow sheds, there was another type of swallow that lived around people in the Balkans: the bank swallow or sand martin. And you wont be able to guess what sound does it make. It is "laslastatatalastatata" which corresponds perfectly with the name "lasta" which is one of the swallow names in Serbian. The mame for barn swallow "lastavica" which looks similar to bank swallow but has a song that goes like "vichvichlastavichvich" basically means "swallow that says vich" or "lastavica"

http://www.hark.com/clips/rnxrmggdb...in-riparia-paludicola-bird-sound-of-an-animal
http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Bank_Swallow/sounds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5hSUIgpkUY

If we accept that giving onomatopoeic names is the oldest way of naming then these Serbian animal names are probably the oldest European words. And they have all been preserved in Serbian but not in other European languages. How do we explain this?

I will finish this discussion on animal names with an Irish word for the end "críoch" and Serbian word for the end "kraj". :)

Barn swallows are the most common European swallow type today. They nest in barns and cow sheds. When my father went to his parents village last year, the old people complained to him that there are fewer and fewer swallows every year. This is because the vilage is dying, there are only old people left in it and there are fewer and fewer cows and working cow sheds and barns in which swallows can nest. Once cows are gone from the cow shed the swallows are gone next year. Which means no cows in cow sheds no barn swallows.
I'm sorry but your observational skills are beyond hope. Your above observation is wrong on many levels.

Barn swallows are the most common European swallow type today. They nest in barns and cow sheds.
It is only called Barn swallow in English, in other countries it is just swallow. There original nesting place is on steep rocks, or sandstone escarpments by the rivers. When people started building structures, it was to swallows likings and they like the walls and beams, the way they like high banks places.

They nest in barns and cow sheds
They like barns, but it doesn't mean that these are only places swallows nest. They like barns because there are always lot of flies around cows. Maybe it is the connection? If barns are gone, there still will be swallows around people's houses. They can attach their nests to the wood or brick walls or to the soffits under the roof. I'm sure you've seen their nest on houses, you just didn't know that it is the same Barn Swallow doing that.

Once cows are gone from the cow shed the swallows are gone next year. Which means no cows in cow sheds no barn swallows
Wrong, swallows don't eat cows. If cows are gone, swallows will still live in the area. I would claim that as long as there are flies in the village, there will be swallows. I can bet my life on it.
The only change is that with lack of cows there are fewer flies flying around villages. This definitely affects swallow population. Fewer flies, less food for swallows, equals fewer swallows.

Unfortunately your onomastic skills are at the same level. Please, stop this nonsense.

LeBrok

You have never been to a real old fashioned village, i can see that. Barn swallows "only" nest in cow sheds and barns that are being used. I know that from experience, i don't need to bet. When cows are gone and when barns are not used, swallows are gone as well. Town swallows nest on houses under roofs. They don't need cows. Also the swallows that had "original nesting place is on steep rocks, or sandstone escarpments by the rivers" still do nest there. They are called bank swallows. They are different species. Please check you facts before you start handing out insults. As for my onomastic skills i will leave this to everyone to decide for themselves. This is why i supplied the files. If you find me any other European animal names that fit the animal sounds better please give me an example. Otherwise you have no case.

Few more interesting thing i found in my notes about link between sheep, cattle and women:

In Irish word for daughter is "ní". So Ana ní Cormack means Ana daughter of Cormack. But "ní" also means thing. This basically equates a daughter with a thing, to a property. So Ana ní Cormack becomes Ana property of Cormack. We find this exact thing in the Dinaric area of the Balkans where even today daughters are not considered to be children. You would hear people say: "I have two children and one daughter". This is patriarchal Iron Age society at its peak. So from here it is easy to understand why we have ban, bana, bean = woman, girl and possible ba(n) sheep and banair sheep fold.

Here is the remnant of this patriarchal society from the Balkans. Does anyone know of any similar customs from Gaelic lands?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sworn_virgin

The term sworn virgin has come to refer to a traditional social role in the highlands of Albania and Montenegro. Among the highlander groups, a similar, cross-cultural clan-based orientation and highly marked sexual roles have created a situation where there has been a shortage of adult males. One suitable alternative is the sworn virgin (Serbian tobelija or tybelí, ostajnica "she who stays" or muskobanja "man-like woman"; Albanian virgjineshtë / burrneshë), a female-born person who takes on the social (but not sexual) role of a man. They dress, work and live as men, but remain chaste and unmarried.
The origins of the "sworn virgins" are disparate: some choose this role (as early as childhood and as late as just before their marriage ceremony) while others are raised or forced into it by circumstance. These societies have suffered a severe shortage of men due to interclan violence and Ottoman oppression; a clan without a patriarch might choose a female as an ostajnica, or female replacement, who would subsequently take on a male social role.

And here they call it Albanian sworn virgin even though it is an old Balkan custom, which admittedly survived mostly among the northern Albanians which are all Albanized old Dinaric population with the same genes, and which actually keeps clan links with the old Montenegrian clans from which they originally separated during Turkish occupation of the Balkans:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albanian_sworn_virgins

The tradition of sworn virgins developed out of the Kanuni i Lekë Dukagjinit (English: The Code of Lekë Dukagjini, or simply the Kanun),[5] a set of codes and laws developed by Lekë Dukagjini and used mostly in northern Albania and Kosovo from the 15th century until the 20th century. The Kanun is not a religious document – many groups follow it including Roman Catholic, Albanian Orthodox, and Muslims.[6]
The Kanun dictates that families must be patrilineal (meaning wealth is inherited through a family's men) and patrilocal (upon marriage, a woman moves into the household of her husband's family).[7] Women are treated like property of the family. Under the Kanun women are stripped of many human rights. They cannot smoke, wear a watch, or vote in their local elections. They cannot buy land, and there are many jobs they are not permitted to hold. There are even establishments that they cannot enter.[4][6]

This code has just canonized the old tribal laws that existed in the Dinaric region of the Balkans from time immemorial.

From the above it is also easy to understand the link between bàn = white, bana, bean = woman, girl, and and banais = wedding. Wedding is a ceremony of acquiring a woman as a property. There is a direct link in Irish tradition between sheep, shepard, woman and wedding:

banais - marriage-feast, wedding. Banais refers to the wedding party or dinner while pòsadh is the Gaelic for marriage and usually refers to what happens in the church or the registry office.
ban, bana - woman. In Bosnia there is a word "bona" which is a old word for woman...
bean na bainnse - bride

This is the link between wedding as a ceremony of acquiring property. I describes a ceremony in which the shepard kings marries the land and in that way becomes its owner or ruler:

banais ríghe

[Irish, wedding-feast of kingship]

A ritual practiced by early Irish kings in which they were united with the sovereignty of the territory over which they ruled. The abundant evidence of the annals testifies that the practice was widespread, although details are not always precise. The ceremony appears to have comprised two main elements, the libation offered by the bride to her husband and the coition. At Tara the ritual was called feis temrach.

Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/banais-r-ghe#ixzz2UE93sCKc

The personification of the power and authority of a kingdom as a woman to be won sexually pre-dates literature written in any Celtic language. In the hierogamy [Gk hieros, sacred; gamos, marriage] described in a Sumerian hymn (2nd millennium BC), the king must mate with Inanna, queen of heaven and goddess of love and fertility, on New Year's Day in her residence. In the hymn the king is seen as an incarnation of Dumuzi, a shepherd-king and husband of Inanna, and thus the rite of hierogamy ends with his ecstatic sexual union with her, perhaps acted out in life with one of Inanna's sacred prostitutes. Correlatives and echoes to a kind of spiritual and/or physical sexual union between the male king and a divine female sovereignty are widespread in early Indo-European culture, as far away as India in the instances of Vishnu and Sri-Lakshmi. Within Celtic traditions, evidence of sexual-sovereignty rituals, involving horses, survives to late pre-Norman Ireland, as the shocked and disgusted observations of Giraldus Cambrensis in Topographia Hibernica (1188) testify. Early Irish texts describe the ritual banais ríghe [wedding-feast of kingship], which included (1) a libation from the sovereignty bride and (2) the coition of the king with sovereignty herself. At Tara for the installation of the ard rí [high king], the ceremony was known as feis temrach [Irish foaid, spends the night with] and fled bainisi.

Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/lady-sovereignty#ixzz2UEAokUub

Finally "ní" also means not, nothing. This equates "ní" with "not a son". So Ana ní Cormack becomes Ana property of Cormack, not the son of Cormack. In Serbian we have the same suffix for creating negation:

šta - what, something
ništa - nothing

e - accented è, he, it, Irish é, *ei-s: root ei, i; Old Latin eis (= is, he, that), ea, she (= eja); Gothic is, German er, es; Sanskrit ayam. The Old Irish neuter was ed, now eadh (as in seadh, ni h-eadh).

Basically it means what exists.

je, e - is, exists
nije, nie - doesn't exist

The last example shows that the word for "is" is the same in Irish and Serbian and that construction of "is not" is the same.

Next few words make this even more interesting:

Irish:

c' - for co, cia, who, what
cà, ca - where, Irish cá, how, where, who; a by-form to cia, cè
cho, co - as, so, Irish comh, Welsh cyn; from com, with. See comh-. Gaelic "Cho dubh ri feannaig" = Welsh "Cyn ddued a'r frân".

Serbian:

"k", from "ko" which means who, or "ka" which means where, where to, towards
Ko, Ka, ku(or in old southern Serbian dialects ka) which mean who, where, how. Examples: ko (ko je to?) - who is it, k (k tebi) - towards you, ka (ka tebi) towards you, ka (ka, kaj, sta) - what, ka(ko) (kako to) - how, how is that possible or done, ku(da) or ka(de) (ku da idemo) - where are we going.

Dakle ca + e = Ka + e = kaj je = sta to, sta je - what is it

ka de e = kade je, kude je, gde je - where is

I find this Serbian word very interesting: kak, kako = ka + k, ka + ko = ca + c(o) = how, where + who, what = how is something done or by whom

Considering that the words for where, who, what, existence are the same in Irish and Serbian, the next few words should not be a surprise:

bith - the world, existence, Irish, Old Irish bith, Welsh byd, Breton bed, Gaulish bitu-, *bitu-s; root bi, bei, live, Indo-European @gei, @gi, whence Latin vivo, English be, etc. Hence beatha, beò, biadh, q.v.
bith - being (inf. of bì, be), Irish, Early Irish beith, Old Irish buith.

bi, bì - be Irish bí, be thou, Old Irish bíu, sum, bí be thou, Old Welsh bit, sit, bwyf, sim, Middle Breton bezaff. Proto-Celtic bhv-ijô, for Old Irish bíu, I am; Latin fio; English be; Indo-European root bheu, be. See bha. Stokes differs from other authorities in referring bíu, bí to Celtic beiô, root bei, bi, live, as in bith, beatha, Latin vivo, etc.

So bit is the world, reality, existence which comes from bi, bei which means alive, what exists. Examples in Serbian:

Sta bi? Sta je bilo? - What happened? What existed?
Gde bi? Gde je bilo? Where happened? Where existed?
Ti - you
Biti - bi ti - you exist
u biti - in existance, reality
sa - with
bitisati - bi ti sa ti - to be with you, to be together.

So all the above words: be, is, where, what, who, how, not are all the same in Irish and Serbian (and other Slavic languages) again, but not all the same in Other European languages (some are and some are not). If you look at the distribution of the above words in Europe you can see why I think that Central Europe (Balkan, Baltic) is the European language birth place. I believe that the above words came to England and Ireland from Central Europe with various Central European (Vinca, Celtic, Anglo Saxon, Viking) invasions via south Baltic.

Dublin,

you have demonstrated beyond any reasonable doubt that you have no understanding of linguistics, nor have the will to learn them. What you are doing is having an already fixiated opinion (that there has to be a special relationship between Serbian and Irish - and this is not any different from how a creationist has the pre-fabricated view that the 'bible must be right'), and going from there you are taking cherrypicked words in irish and serbian, ignoring that other celtic and slavic languages exist, in fact even denying that languages that are unanimously considered celtic by scholars (eg. celtiberian and gaulish), are not actually 'celtic' but claim that they are slavic instead, and you cite a slovenian nationalist website as evidence (it reads "Welcome on the Website of the Project Origin of Slovenians!" on the main page, which reminds me suspiciously of this):

Is it time to rethink the whole “Celtic languages” thing? Are central European, mainly Slavic languages but also Germanic and Baltic languages, the real Celtic languages?

If this is the case, then all documented common words in Celtic and Slavic languages should not surprise you anymore.

Here is just an example of what I am talking about:

http://www.korenine.si/zborniki/zbornik06/serafimov_celtoslav06.pdf

Or this:

http://www.korenine.si/zborniki/zbornik10/seraf_slavic_gaul.pdf

Without knowing how strong and how long the influence of the Central European cultures which reached Ireland and Britain via South Baltic was, the above claims would have been absurd. Now they are to be expected.

Very compelling. As a matter of fact, I was very entertained when I read those because the guy has just as little understanding of linguistics, no offense, as you do.

And, to make things better, you are also invoking the Hittites, Sumerians and Trojans in your 'Serbian Vinca hypothesis'. If you are already at that stage, why not Mayans and Martians?

By the way, I should add something else: it's one thing when scientists have eccentric hypotheses. It's good that these show up, because scientific progress thrives on this, either by verifying, or by falsifying these hypotheses. But, there is a catch with this: scientists have a rigorous, consistent methodology. Now what you are doing is that you sometimes pick, to use your own words...

Here is the official etymology:

... and then start drawing your own conclusions and start to magically dismantle words as you see fit. It doesn't work that way. I haven't seen you talk about other Slavic languages like Polish or Russian here, or other Celtic languages (well, you have told us that those do not exist), and I haven't seen you give any consideration was Serbian or Irish might have sounded like 2000 years ago.

What I found particularly amusing is your insistence that the Irish word "tuath" was borrowed...

All i am saying is that Tuatha is a foreign word, not Gaelic and has negative characteristics associated with invading foreign non Gaelic force.

... which every linguist will tell you that it's not. My conclusion is that you are unable to distinguish wether a word is borrowed or not because you do not understand how the methods to determine that work, and, to be honest, seem to want to. You just have your Ireland-Serbia idea and it keep repeating it.

Now, you're asking us to take you seriously, which, no offense, I find quite the daunting task, since you are placing yourself so far outside of things that it's impossible to argue with you. And, you ask us to keep this thread 'open forever'. The problem I see is this: people are not going to learn anything there.

Sorry, case closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

This thread has been viewed 85869 times.

Back