U5b1

Emcat

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Northern European
mtDNA haplogroup
U5b1
U5b1 This is Sami in origin I am told. Complete DNA Ancestry Composition tells you what percent of your DNA comes from each of 22 populations worldwide. The analysis includes DNA you received from all of your ancestors, on both sides of your family. Mine is 96.1% from northern European and the rest from Ireland/England and southern European with only 1% native American. I find this interesting as all of my documented information is from Lines which go back to Ireland, England but the longest line I follow goes to one of the Palantine German areas and Switzerland with the name there in 1500's. A cousin of this paternal line which we share is R1 or R1a I think. Does anyone know more of the U5b1.

Samos, Finns and Estonians have highest concentrations of mtdna U5b. About 10% of Europeans belong to the larger U5 family ( U5a,U5b) , it is thought to have originated some 30000-50000 years ago. It is often speculated that mtdna U may have originated near Greece and migrated northwards from there, but this is not sure.

It seems that the high north-European U frequency may not mean this is the point of origin as its origin is pointed to near Greece, and then having migrated northwards.

Overall, mtdna U reaches highest % in northern Norway, Finland, Estonia and the western Russian plains.

Thanks for all the thoughts. I did notice this recently. Though primarily a European haplogroup, U5 was recently found in mitochondrial DNA extracted from the remains of a 6th-century AD Chinese chieftain. But that is recent date for that remains so it seems not to matter for the long view. I have one more DNA test I am sending in soon it looks for both HVR1 and HVR2 (Hypervariable Regions 1 and 2). The mt I finished recently was a wider looks for health results also. I am curious what if any differences will show up.

No trust me, mtdna U is not linked to china, I mean there may be a few mtdna U's in china but that's not U "territory".

Your particular U subclade, U5b reaches a maximum frequency across Finland, north-central norway and a small portion of Russia bordering Finland. It is Scandinavian U.

I am U5b1 as well, presumably originating in Portugal. How would the typically Scandinavian U5b1 have ended up in Iberia? Visigothic women? Or would it be the result of a much older, pre-historical presence?

I am U5b1 as well, presumably originating in Portugal. How would the typically Scandinavian U5b1 have ended up in Iberia? Visigothic women? Or would it be the result of a much older, pre-historical presence?

Easy , its a direct path hugging the coast.....a straight line.
Its noted ( by geneologists) many haplogroups went this way. the Sea was less dangerous than the land

Easy , its a direct path hugging the coast.....a straight line.
Its noted ( by geneologists) many haplogroups went this way. the Sea was less dangerous than the land

Aha, I see. Kind of like what (probably) happened with R-DF27 then, except for starting and arriving in opposite ends.

Just got the results of a new test with a different company and they call my haplo as U5b1h when the first one said onlyU5b1. It seems to show only a few with this haplo tested and one has a most distant ancestor known as born in Ireland the other is born in Norway.

Mtdna U is the earliest branch of European females. They left the Middle East and colonized the northern most plains of Russia and parts of Scandinavia/Baltic states. It also infiltrated itself further into west/central Europe at much lower %.

About 10% of Europeans belong to the larger U5 family ( U5a,U5b) , it is thought to have originated some 30000-50000 years ago.

How common is U5a worldwide? I don't understand percentages, I'm very bad at maths.

It seems that the high north-European U frequency may not mean this is the point of origin as its origin is pointed to near Greece, and then having migrated northwards.

The greatest diversity of U5 is in central and southern Europe. U5b1 probably originated in an Iberian ice age refuge, and other subclades (U5b2, U5b3, U5a1 and U5a2) also originated in southern European ice age refugia. The idea that U5 indicates Scandinavian or Saami ancestry was based on bad science, and unfortunately, it is a widely spready myth that refuses to die. I summarized 1300 U5 full genome test results on the U5 project page at FTDNA Anyone interested in exploring their U5 ancestry should order the full genome mtDNA test and join the U5 project.

I was under the impression that U migrated from the Middle East across the Caucasus and north towards Russia/Finland and Baltic states at highest frequencies, also infiltrating more eastern parts of Europe such as Bulgaria, or Belgium or France were 20-25% of females belong to mtdna U.

I'm very new here, so please excuse me for lack of technical knowledge in dna research. I had a dna test done by a relatively new company who has changed my results frequently and now and I'm sort of regretting using them. I don't trust the results, especially now.

I am a U5b1c2b, and my mother specifically told me that on her grandfather's side, my great grandfather was an Estonian, "from a long line of Estonians". His wife was Eastern German. She also said on her mother's side, was Scandinavian and English. This all shows up, but my Finno-Ugric Western Russian aspect is very low, like 3% and the Scandinavian is way lower than this had previously recorded, now 1.6%.

The company is based in Britain and so the connection in my results to the British Isles is very high, now 66% where it used to be around 30%. The German checks out as well, but I'm not as incline to believe that I'm so little Scandinavian, or Finno-Ugric, when my mother specifically points out that I'm both of these!! I know more about my grandfather who was born in St. Petersburg, but as I said my Finno-Ugric side is hardly registering! I don't like these new results at all. First they said I was mostly German, now it's mostly English, and practically not Scandinavian at all, which doesn't seem to coincide with my haplogroup either. But, this company in fact doesn't have much written about Scandinavia so maybe they don't have a good connection with the research there? Maybe they don't like Swedes? Lol.

Does Eupedia have a dna testing facility or can anyone recommend a trustworthy company which isn't biased against Sweden or North Eastern countries?? Maybe something with more connection to the Nordics or the East? I don't want the results to be wrong, but I don't know if I trust these latest results at all!! This company is also very into the "out of Africa" theory, which I am very skeptical of to begin with.

This thread has been viewed 17672 times.

Back