Climate change Is the Gulf Stream moving away from Europe ?

And here are some data, collected by an independent source, that prove the "decade-perspective" in climatic changes is far too short-sighted to justify any prediction, worry or relief (apart from the poisoning of water air and soli, of course).
w w w.paulmacrae.com/?p=62

A recent article on BBC News explains how the slowdown in the rate of temperature increases over the past one and a half decade has been caused by oceans sucking up this extra heat (perhaps to make up for the melting ice at the poles cooling the overall ocean levels). Once this phenomenon comes to an end, global temperature will suddenly rise and catch up with the curve of the computer model. If that is true we are in for some major economic and political upheavals worldwide.

Here is the passage in question from BBC News:

Recent research indicates that the rate of increase in emissions might be slowing down, but the gases can continue to concentrate in the atmosphere and exert a climate influence for hundreds if not thousands of years.

Scientists believe that the new data indicates that global warming will be back with a vengeance, after a slowdown in the rate of temperature increases over the past 14 years.

"The laws of physics and chemistry are not negotiable," said Michel Jarraud.

"Greenhouse gases are what they are, the laws of physics show they can only contribute to warming the system, but parts of this heat may go in different places like the oceans for some periods of time," he said.

This view was echoed by Prof Piers Forster from the University of Leeds.

"For the past decade or so the oceans have been sucking up this extra heat, meaning that surface temperatures have only increased slowly.

"Don't expect this state of affairs to continue though, the extra heat will eventually come out and bite us, so expect strong warming over the coming decades."

On one hand I'm skeptical on the other I hope that we can produce enough greenhouse gases to stop next Ice Age, which according to historical timelines is around the corner. If Ice Age comes Canada and Northern Europe will vanish. Billions would die because we wouldn't be able to produce so much food under cold and dry conditions during long Ice Age to sustain 7 billion peeps.

On one hand I'm skeptical on the other I hope that we can produce enough greenhouse gases to stop next Ice Age, which according to historical timelines is around the corner. If Ice Age comes Canada and Northern Europe will vanish. Billions would die because we wouldn't be able to produce so much food under cold and dry conditions during long Ice Age to sustain 7 billion peeps.

"Around the corner" could be a few thousands years away. Let's see if humanity survives till then first.

Sometimes the streams in the oceans can be variable in speed and behaviour. But the Gulf Stream and others mostly depend on the magnetisim of the earth. So if there is no change in magnetisim there is also not in Gulf Stream.

Sometimes the streams in the oceans can be variable in speed and behaviour. But the Gulf Stream and others mostly depend on the magnetisim of the earth. So if there is no change in magnetisim there is also not in Gulf Stream.
Never heard of magnetism affecting Golf Stream. It is more about Earth spin and winds dictating direction of Gulf Stream.
Welcome to Eupedia intorg.

"Around the corner" could be a few thousands years away. Let's see if humanity survives till then first.
I was checking for length of interglacial periods and I found this:
The Earth has been in an interglacial period known as the Holocene for more than 11,000 years. It was conventional wisdom that the typical interglacial period lasts about 12,000 years, but this has been called into question recently. For example, an article in Nature[36] argues that the current interglacial might be most analogous to a previous interglacial that lasted 28,000 years. Predicted changes in orbital forcing suggest that the next glacial period would begin at least 50,000 years from now, even in absence of human-made global warming[37] (see Milankovitch cycles). Moreover, anthropogenic forcing from increased greenhouse gases might outweigh orbital forcing for as long as intensive use of fossil fuels continues
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_age
You could be right as well that we might have more time of nice weather than previously thought. I consider it a good news

This thread has been viewed 30019 times.

Back