Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: How accurate are Autosomal DNA Tests?

  1. #1
    Regular Member Barantes's Avatar
    Join Date
    26-02-13
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    72

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R-L21
    MtDNA haplogroup
    T2B

    Ethnic group
    Portuguese
    Country: Canada-Ontario



    How accurate are Autosomal DNA Tests?

    I recently did an autosomal test with National Geographic and I was wondering how accurate the results that come back are? The smaller percentages in the result do they fall within margin of error? I'm just curious, I'm not 100% sure about the authenticity of autosomal testing. Sorry if I'm not making sense, hopefully someone can shed some light on whether to trust these results or not.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Regular Member Dorianfinder's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-08-11
    Location
    Western Cape
    Posts
    468

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R-FGC13617
    MtDNA haplogroup
    T2b1

    Ethnic group
    European
    Country: Greece



    2 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Barantes View Post
    I recently did an autosomal test with National Geographic and I was wondering how accurate the results that come back are? The smaller percentages in the result do they fall within margin of error? I'm just curious, I'm not 100% sure about the authenticity of autosomal testing. Sorry if I'm not making sense, hopefully someone can shed some light on whether to trust these results or not.

    Thanks
    To answer your question, I assume that you are wondering about some minor ancestry percentages in your test results. There are a number of factors to consider but I'm not going to bore you with statistics. What is important to consider is the direction of gene flow. For example, if an individual's result states 3% East Asian, this could be due to a number of scenarios:
    1. There is 3% East Asian ancestry.
    2. There is European ancestry that is also found in East Asia at higher frequencies, programmes will take the higher frequency to mean that this ancestry originated in East Asia, although we cannot say this for certain.
    3. There is 3% ancestry from an unknown source that has managed to spread its genes to East Asia where it's frequency is sufficient to suggest East Asian ancestry, however this would be inaccurate.

    Good luck with your analysis!

  3. #3
    Regular Member Barantes's Avatar
    Join Date
    26-02-13
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    72

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R-L21
    MtDNA haplogroup
    T2B

    Ethnic group
    Portuguese
    Country: Canada-Ontario



    That was really helpful actually thank you. I read that there is also a possible margin of error I think it was called "static noise" or something I'm not too sure what they referred to it as.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    26-06-13
    Posts
    44


    Country: Poland



    2 members found this post helpful.
    They're extremely accurate if done properly and interpreted correctly.

  5. #5
    Regular Member zanipolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    22-03-11
    Posts
    2,071

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 - Z19945
    MtDNA haplogroup
    K1a4o

    Ethnic group
    Down Under
    Country: Australia



    the best I have found are Eurogenes one...JTEST and EUTEST

    the newish Eurogenes K36 has many issues unanswered and seems incomplete ........ie..missing certain ethnic people
    Father's Mtdna H95a1
    Grandfather Mtdna T2b24
    Great Grandfather Mtdna T1a1e
    GMother paternal side YDna R1b-S8172
    Mother's YDna R1a-Z282

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    20-08-13
    Location
    London,England
    Posts
    77

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1a

    Ethnic group
    Slavic, Vlach, Celto-Germanic
    Country: Slovakia



    I don't think that they are 100 percent accurate, but they can tell you some kind of picture about yourself. Three of my grandparents are Slovak and my fourth is a mix of the british isles and central European countries. I took an autosomal test with ancestry.com and I came back as 29% Scandinavian, 63% Eastern European and 8 percent uncertain. I had my parents take the same test and my mother who is half Slovak and half(the fourth grandparent) came out as 54% Eastern European and 43% central European. My Father who is full Slovak came out as 45% Eastern European, 34% Central European and 21% Finnish Volga Ural. As you can see there is some confusion. How did I get so much Scandinavian when My parents have none. Well if we think about it a little maybe its not so confusing. We know central Europe (Germany and Franice in this test)is a mix of Germanic people from Scandinavia who came south and mixed with celtic type peoples. So Autosomally my parents showed up as having Central European because they have that pattern of a mix of celtic and Germanic genes. However maybe I only got the Germanic segments of those genes which best matches me with Scandinavian people. Also the Finnish/Volga Ural, a region which stretches from finland to the Caucasus has a lot of Slavic genes wich probably my father has in common with eastern Slavic people, and that is probably the 8 percent% unkown in me. This is probably the best way to look at autosomal testing. It is somewhat accurate but not perfect. It depends heavily on the testing companies database, and what the conclude as a homogenous region.

  7. #7
    Populace
    Join Date
    15-08-13
    Location
    Livorno
    Posts
    11


    Ethnic group
    Italic/Etruscan/Nordic
    Country: Italy



    Quote Originally Posted by silkyslovanbojkovsky View Post
    I don't think that they are 100 percent accurate, but they can tell you some kind of picture about yourself. Three of my grandparents are Slovak and my fourth is a mix of the british isles and central European countries. I took an autosomal test with ancestry.com and I came back as 29% Scandinavian, 63% Eastern European and 8 percent uncertain. I had my parents take the same test and my mother who is half Slovak and half(the fourth grandparent) came out as 54% Eastern European and 43% central European. My Father who is full Slovak came out as 45% Eastern European, 34% Central European and 21% Finnish Volga Ural. As you can see there is some confusion. How did I get so much Scandinavian when My parents have none. Well if we think about it a little maybe its not so confusing. We know central Europe (Germany and Franice in this test)is a mix of Germanic people from Scandinavia who came south and mixed with celtic type peoples. So Autosomally my parents showed up as having Central European because they have that pattern of a mix of celtic and Germanic genes. However maybe I only got the Germanic segments of those genes which best matches me with Scandinavian people. Also the Finnish/Volga Ural, a region which stretches from finland to the Caucasus has a lot of Slavic genes wich probably my father has in common with eastern Slavic people, and that is probably the 8 percent% unkown in me. This is probably the best way to look at autosomal testing. It is somewhat accurate but not perfect. It depends heavily on the testing companies database, and what the conclude as a homogenous region.
    Thats not strange becuse slovaks is a mix of slavic and central european (celtic&germanic peoples)

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    20-08-13
    Location
    London,England
    Posts
    77

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1a

    Ethnic group
    Slavic, Vlach, Celto-Germanic
    Country: Slovakia



    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by Toscano View Post
    Thats not strange becuse slovaks is a mix of slavic and central european (celtic&germanic peoples)
    Yes I never said it was strange that slovaks have central european dna. I was just trying to explain how I ended up as showing 29% scandinavian dna although my parents didnt show up as having any.

  9. #9
    Regular Member Sile's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-09-11
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,117

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 -Z19945..Jura
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H95a1 ..Pannoni

    Ethnic group
    North Alpine Italian
    Country: Australia



    There is a new product to predict your ancient commencement in Europe or elsewhere

    Go to Gedmatch and use eurogenes K9b to determine your data, then place results below and use #9 for reference numbers
    http://mendel.fat.glam.ac.uk/project...2/personal.php

    you will get a match like mine below ( initially mine had central france but it was a beta test)



    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

    below are my results from K9b - first time over 5% for SW-Asian

    Population
    Southwest_Asian 12.09%
    Native_American 0.54%
    Northeast_Asian -
    Mediterranean 29.67%
    North_European 55.77%
    Southeast_Asian 1.42%
    Oceanian 0.28%
    South_African -
    Sub-Saharan_African 0.25%

    Last edited by Sile; 26-09-13 at 12:27.
    có che un pòpoło no 'l defende pi ła só łéngua el xe prónto par èser s'ciavo

    when a people no longer dares to defend its language it is ripe for slavery.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    17-12-11
    Location
    Sofia
    Posts
    339

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    J-L70
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H2a2a1

    Ethnic group
    Bulgarian
    Country: Bulgaria



    23andme is a great adventury. Family Finder is a silly joke. The say Bulgarians are like 70% or 80 % British or French and 20% or 30 % Egyptian or Druzeh he he he he

  11. #11
    Regular Member Sile's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-09-11
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,117

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 -Z19945..Jura
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H95a1 ..Pannoni

    Ethnic group
    North Alpine Italian
    Country: Australia



    Quote Originally Posted by Yaan View Post
    23andme is a great adventury. Family Finder is a silly joke. The say Bulgarians are like 70% or 80 % British or French and 20% or 30 % Egyptian or Druzeh he he he he
    In this GPS system i noted
    The K9b eurogenes uses the system that Nat Geno 2.0, so South-west Asian incorporates -
    Arabian peninsula
    Irak
    Iran
    Pakistan
    India

    so the range is huge

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    05-02-13
    Posts
    66

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1a1a (R-L1029)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H14

    Ethnic group
    Greek
    Country: Cyprus



    I would agree with the rest and say that autosomal tests are pretty accurate, as long as they are run with the admixture calculators found at GEDmatch. Don't forget that they are testing a huge number (hundreds of thousands) SNPs and they use a large number of reference populations around the world. The only limitation I see is that some times these reference populations are too small and they do not actually represent the population that they are supposed to do. Now for the default autosomal calculators of FTDNA, 23andme and Geno 2.0, all these are indeed problematic (the 23andme one probably less than the others), especially if your ancestry comes from southeastern Europe. For people with western/northern Europeans (including Americans/Canadians/Australians), these default calculators should work fine however, but they will not give you the detail that the GEDmatch calculators will.

  13. #13
    Regular Member Sile's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-09-11
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,117

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 -Z19945..Jura
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H95a1 ..Pannoni

    Ethnic group
    North Alpine Italian
    Country: Australia



    interesting article on Audna - noise threshold

    http://www.y-str.org/noise-threshold-on-atdna-matches/

  14. #14
    Regular Member Sile's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-09-11
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,117

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 -Z19945..Jura
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H95a1 ..Pannoni

    Ethnic group
    North Alpine Italian
    Country: Australia



    I just got paper records bringing my maternal line ( for DNA purposes) one further generation back with the name Zotton
    The name in different Italians sites for ancient surnames states either - Lombard

    Famiglia friulana di antica e nobile tradizione propagatasi, nel corso dei secoli, in diverse regioni d'Italia. La cognominizzazione è anteriore al XV secolo e dovrebbe derivare dal nome longobardo Zotton. Ne abbiamo alcuni esempi nel Codice Diplomatico Longobardo: nell'anno 715.

    or Carnico , which means from the carni tribe -----The carni tribe from my information was a Gallic tribe from Gascony area which invaded north-east italy around 400 to 500 BC .

    The one thing I want to discuss with this is ------I am prominent in any gedmatch Admixture sites which have french basque
    1
    North_Italian 49.82%
    2 French_Basque 8.88%
    3 Spanish_Andalucia 8.42%
    4 Chuvash 7.55%
    5 Adygei 6.98%
    or
    1
    Austrian
    37.78%
    2 French_Basque 26.90%
    3 North_Italian 20.53%
    4 Belorussian 4.59%
    to place a few examples


    Zotton is clearly an extension of original Zotto in which you can get zottin, zottolo, del zotto etc

    conclusion- maybe these gedmatch admixtures have more info that what I originally thought

  15. #15
    Regular Member Twilight's Avatar
    Join Date
    29-06-12
    Location
    Clinton, Washington
    Age
    27
    Posts
    907

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-U152-Z56-BY3957
    MtDNA haplogroup
    J1c7a

    Ethnic group
    15/32 British, 5/32 German, 9/64 Irish, 1/8 Scots Gaelic, 5/64 French, 1/32 Welsh
    Country: USA - Washington



    Quote Originally Posted by polako View Post
    They're extremely accurate if done properly and interpreted correctly.
    What do you mean by correctly exactly? Are the models built for certain groups of people?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •