Which DNA testing company?

Atropat

Reaction score
Ethnic group
South Azerbaijani
Hello everyone,

I'm a new member and I'm interested in learning more about both my paternal and maternal ancestry. I'm an Azerbaijani from Northwestern Iran (which borders the South Caucasus region = Armenia, Azerbaijan & Georgia). As far as I have heard in family discussions, it is probable that part of my mother's family are of Georgian descent, but we are not 100% sure about that. I learnt about the various DNA testing companies. It seems that 23andMe and FTDNA are recommended mainly. I'd like to ask that which one of these would be better in my case, since most of the people on this forum seem to be of European descent and I couldn't find much information about people who are like me from that region. Or any information about other testing companies that specialize about the region I'm from?

Thank you in advance,

I guess you would resemble Georgians in admixture tests considering your location.

I tested with 23andme and I'm happy. No complaint, if that helps.

Thank you for your reply. Well, you might be right about that, since as far as I know there is no near traceable marriage with other Iranians to the East or South in the family since my ancestors have mostly married in the region or if in case it was with people to our immediate North which lies in modern day Azerbaijan and Georgia. And about 23andMe, I will search on the Internet to find some sample results about their company.

Thanks again!

You're welcome.

I think FTDNA is better for the people more interested in Y-DNA and MtDNA, but if you prefer to focus on autosomal then 23andme is enough.

Right now both Dodecad and Eurogenes are not doing tests, but surely they will develop some new stuff in the near future. There are lots of calculators available made by them to get an accurate idea though.

PD: 23andme's ancestry composition is useless most times in my honest opinion. The point is to use the raw data they provide and test your genome with Dodecad and Eurogenes.

Thanks for mentioning that! I'm mainly interested in finding out about both my mtDNA and Y-DNA haplogroups and their relationship to other ethnic groups in the region, i.e. Armenians, Georgians, North Azerbaijanis, Kurds, Gilaks, people from Eastern Turkey, etc. And one more thing about my paternal side that there is a Pontic Greek ancestry from Eastern Black sea coast region of Turkey which is again close to where I'm from.

P.S: I was thinking about FTDNA more before posting this thread as I thought it might be more suitable for what I'm looking for.

We'll see what comes out when you get the test, but both haplogroups and autosomal will tend to be very similar to what it's found in Georgia. You are very close geographically speaking so it seems obvious.

23andme tests Y-DNA and MtDna as well, but not in detail. So definitely FTDNA seems to be the best choice.

Glad to help ;)

Thanks for mentioning that! I'm mainly interested in finding out about both my mtDNA and Y-DNA haplogroups and their relationship to other ethnic groups in the region, i.e. Armenians, Georgians, North Azerbaijanis, Kurds, Gilaks, people from Eastern Turkey, etc. And one more thing about my paternal side that there is a Pontic Greek ancestry from Eastern Black sea coast region of Turkey which is again close to where I'm from.

P.S: I was thinking about FTDNA more before posting this thread as I thought it might be more suitable for what I'm looking for.

Knovas is correct..

I did FtDna and it was more oriented in findings family lines.........which did not interest me a lot. NatGeno 2.0 is in alliance with FTDna and they do the ancestral trail. you can do NatGeno 2.0 and transfer results to FtDna.

23andme I am unsure, seems it does both, but it has also a medical section

This thread has been viewed 7610 times.

Back