Are Vikings overrated?

I also do not consider the Norsemen [Vikings/Varangians] as "overrated" or over-romanticized;

Bold adventurers and warriors that created a settlement and trade-network from Greenland - Nowgorod;
All connected with a great culture which is everlasting manifested in the Norse Mythology and Sagas;

Sure, the Norseman also suffered great defeats, like the Siege of Dorostolon;
But their reputation in bravery and loyalty (also cruelty) was so greatly appreciated that they were largely employed as mercenaries and guards by other foreign Kingdoms and Rulers;
Their christianised descendants the Normans, were masters of the pitched battle; (tragically) defeating the Varangian Guard (Byzantine) in the Battle of Dyrracheum; [Varangians were the only ones fighting, the Byzantines largely fled the field]

The Norsemen did get a good press in the medieval times from Ahmad ibn Fadlan;
very interesting chronicle and account;

Also to note (trade) the settlement of Haithabu (Queen of the Baltic);

Famous Piraeus Lion - inscriptions from Norse mercenaries [in Byzantine service]
d2oq.png

I pretty much agree with all of your comments on this thread Hope, except for one. I think the main musical theme of "Vikings" should have been a part of Mari Boine's song which I'm having problems linking to on this site. It has 160,000+ views and the particular piece I'm referring to runs over eight minutes. Give it a few minutes of listening time and you'll see what I'm talking about. EDIT-- Eagle Brother.

Close your eyes and picture yourself a member of an opposing tribe while listening to this song, one that Vikings are going to invade next.

It's a cold, misty evening. Like most of the evenings you've experienced in your life. The sun is setting. The people playing this music are coming for you. Their boats are faster than your boats. They are bigger than you. They are stronger than you. They are meaner than you. Death does not scare them... they are all looking forward to dying... in battle. They want only to take part in the great hunt in the next world.

Instead of guitars, picture those guys in the video carrying battle axes. Grizzly Adams isn't banging on drums, he's paddling the boat. And don't get me started on the Viking women...

They mean harm. And they are looking forward to it.

End scene.

Yes, I will check that piece out (y)

And thet new series running "Vikings" lol. [Actually a bit of a disappointment that one IMO.] ..[except for the theme music which is rather good]
I have same feelings about this series. Maybe my expectations were too high. :)

Also to note (trade) the settlement of Haithabu (Queen of the Baltic);

[in Byzantine service]
Did you ever find any references of Vikings in Island of Volin (Wolin), between current Poland and Germany.

Their christianised descendants the Normans, were masters of the pitched battle; (tragically) defeating the Varangian Guard (Byzantine) in the Battle of Dyrracheum; [Varangians were the only ones fighting, the Byzantines largely fled the field]
It is a great argument to the discussion who is more social and who's more individualistic. Bunch of brothers sticking together til death.

Did you ever find any references of Vikings in Island of Volin (Wolin), between current Poland and Germany.

Yes of course Jomsburg, Joms-Wikinger

J B Burry - Cambridge Medival History
According to Iomsvikinga-saga, in the vicinity of the Slav sea and commercial town Volin (Slav), Winetha (Saxon), Iulin or Iumin (Danish), mentioned by Ibrahim and the German chroniclers, the Iomsburg, a sea fort, was built by Danish pirates about 970, and according to Orderic Vitalis (b. 1075) the German gods Wodan, Thor, and Frigg were worshipped in a district of the Lyutitzi at the mouth of the Oder.

I have to check it up, but remember that the Joms-Vikings were saved? by a Polish King (pos. Boleslaw Chrobry) and part of the Joms nobility was Slavic; But Jomsburg is still very Mysterious;

It's interesting that we are all watching the same television series, almost as soon as it was released. U.S., Canada, and Ireland by the looks of it. Maybe many other countries also?

I don't think their braveness is up for discussion, they were clearly pretty badass. What some people seem to be bothered by is that their have been many tough people in history eg. Celts, Germanic peoples, Slavic tribes. I'm just wondering is there something about them that made them stand out so much more than the others (Just trying to keep the discussion going).

Combination of strength, intelligence, speed, classic "look".

Some of the same reasons why the 1968 Ford Mustang is the ultimate muscle car. Some things rise to the top. Difficult to explain at times.

I don't think that the Vikings are overrated, quite the contrary. Their seamanship and international trade alone makes them one of the most influential groups in early medieval times. There is no doubt that Vikings were the first Europeans to reach North America, and if they can be believed, there are stories of them possibly reaching north eastern Australia, and looking at maps of the time, that is a possibility waiting to be proven.

I don't think that the Vikings are overrated, quite the contrary. Their seamanship and international trade alone makes them one of the most influential groups in early medieval times. There is no doubt that Vikings were the first Europeans to reach North America, and if they can be believed, there are stories of them possibly reaching north eastern Australia, and looking at maps of the time, that is a possibility waiting to be proven.
This is true and there's no question to your claim, but some people seem to be more fascinated at the warrior aspect with the "horned helmets" (they didn't use those) and battle axe (often not used either), but why were they given these stereotypes, there must be a reason why it was them and not another group of people don't you think?

If they were seen as great sea farers and tradesmen. Or that they made very good ships and craftsmen and discovered many new settlements, then that would be fine and the fact that they were awesome warriors was a bonus. But there seems to be so much fixation on them as warriors that gets me that I feel other people throughout history acted similar but don't get the same recognition.

Possibly, if you're referencing Vikings, which is a Canadian show I believe filmed in Ireland, so it would make sense to be released there. America gets most shows, and GoT plays anywhere with HBO. Depends on the relevance of the genre to the area. Vikings in the British Isles I'm sure they're interested by it.

Yes of course Jomsburg, Joms-Wikinger

J B Burry - Cambridge Medival History
According to Iomsvikinga-saga, in the vicinity of the Slav sea and commercial town Volin (Slav), Winetha (Saxon), Iulin or Iumin (Danish), mentioned by Ibrahim and the German chroniclers, the Iomsburg, a sea fort, was built by Danish pirates about 970, and according to Orderic Vitalis (b. 1075) the German gods Wodan, Thor, and Frigg were worshipped in a district of the Lyutitzi at the mouth of the Oder.

I have to check it up, but remember that the Joms-Vikings were saved? by a Polish King (pos. Boleslaw Chrobry) and part of the Joms nobility was Slavic; But Jomsburg is still very Mysterious;
Not much about this in polish history, just picked up on it recently. I think it was a particular combination of Slavs and Vikings in this area.
They also found this dated 10th century.
130px-Swietowit_wolinski.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolin
It looks more like Swiatowit, the Slavic deity than Thor or Wodan. Perhaps is from pre Viking era.
Nevertheless very interesting twist in history, at least for me.

Viking migrations were surprisingly extensive into Eastern Europe. Just on he top of Poland it seems and pretty well all the way down if you go more east 793px-Viking_Expansion.svg.jpg

I think its supposed over-romantization today is due to the impact left by some nationalist English historians of Victorian era when they rediscovered the Icelandic sagas and (which idolized them as 'supernatural- warriors' in literature)..
But why do you, a Portuguese, care about it, a thing too distant for you? Such one worshipping sounds harmless to me.

curious remark of you, no?
why a stranger would not have some interest in other ethnic groups or in other countries history? everybody would have only right to question his own origins and nothing else?
no offense, of course...

concerning Vikings, I think they showed a very good sense of trade, political strength rapports and organization sense too, without speaking about their physical courage...

I'm just wondering is there something about them that made them stand out so much more than the others (Just trying to keep the discussion going).

Perhaps their higher percentage of paleolithic European blood gave them higher testosterone, a larger frame, bigger bones, larger muscles, etc.

Overrated...probably not...over-popularized...definitely.

Overrated yes defintaley, but that started by 19th century nordic romanticists.

This thread has been viewed 86224 times.

Back