Films & Series Favorite Historical Movies

"Ao , the last neanderthal" a french film , and an amazingly beautiful one , I saw it at least four time .

I might watch this Tonight.
Got an email from Netflix:
“Salento, Roman Empire - Master of Rome is now on Netflix.”

2018 Season 2, 5 Episodes.
... ‏Julius Caesar rises to establish one of history's greatest dynasties but quickly discovers that unchecked power comes with a price.‏..

Alexander (2004)
The Last Kingdom (2015)

I wouldn't say it is my favorite, but I think it is worth checking out if you have an interest in the time period. It is a very dark comedy based on the struggle for power in the USSR after the death of Stalin.

I didn't mind the The Last Kingdom, and I didn't mind the Robert the Bruce movie with Chris Pine. At least it wasn't as ridiculous as Braveheart. I can't think of any other shows or movies at the moment...

Kingdom of Heaven

Ride with the Devil

Master and Commander

Nothing could be worse than the Troy movie with Brad Pitt.

I watched "The Zookeeper's Wife" with Jessica Chastain. She's a great actress, I think, and I really like her, but it was a really boring movie, and I usually like movies about the costs of World War II.

Like wise I didn't like "Dunkirk". How they could make that boring I don't know, but for me they managed it.

Likewise the new Mary, Queen of Scots movie. It's a topic I'm interested in and have read a lot about and still I thought it was awful.

It's full of historical inaccuracies, and gives lead roles to blacks, Hispanics and Chinese actors. Darnley, Darnley, whose height and extremely blonde hair and brilliant blue eyes were part of his appeal to Mary (and blinded her to his stupidity, deceit, arrogance and vices) is the one played by an Afro-Hispanic! I mean, you can't make this stuff up.

For me, another problem is the actress who plays Mary: Saoirse Ronan. I just have never understand the hype about her. I don't think she's a particularly good actress, and her accent and whole demeanor was all wrong for Mary. Apparently, Hollywood doesn't know that an Irish accent and a Scottish accent are two different things. Not to mention that in real life Mary could barely speak Scots, having spent her entire life in France, and spoke everything else with a heavy French accent. Also, Mary is a devil to play, given she had mad outbursts some of the time. It also didn't help that Mary was considered one of the most beautiful if not the most beautiful woman of her time, and Ronan certainly is not.

I never mentioned that I watched "The Death of Stalin". I really liked it. Thanks, Jovialis.

Kingdom of heaven, although I know its riddled with inmacuracies especially eh Bawldin *cough*

flat,1000x1000,075,f.u1.jpg

003-aguirre-the-wrath-of-god-theredlist.jpg

istantc3a1nea.jpg

1540-6.jpg

caligula-edicion-sin-censura-1979-tinto-brass-pelicula-dvd-D_NQ_NP_777908-MLM28798122157_112018-F.jpg

I saw Spartacus in the theater as a young boy (I sat in the front row craning my neck back to see the screen). I cried at the ending. Ben Hur was slow going for me, except for the galley and chariot race scenes.

For a war movie, Sink the Bismarck is very accurate and captures the excitement and uncertainty of the period. It's hard to know who to root for when the Bismarck is finally cornered by overwhelming force, fatally wounded, and pounded to its death.

I know there are questions about the accuracy of Zulu (was it really such an important battle?), but it's a thrilling movie and Michael Caine makes a great debut.

La r?volution fran?aise by Robert Enrico is a good 2-part movie.
Agora
Elizabeth, and Elizabeth the Golden Age
The Wind that shakes the barley
La reine Margot
Joyeux No?l - beautiful movie about the Christmas truce of 1915
The lives of others
The Duchess
The King's speech

I must say that I'm a little disappointed with the suggestions. So let's try to make it better ;)

I will start with Russia.

Andrei Rublev, not so much historical portrait as realist depiction if medieval life in Russia. Director is Andrei Tarkowski.

Ivan the Terrible I and II by Sergei Eisenstein. It's a portrait of the tsar who transformed Russian medieval state into an empire.

War & Peace by Sergei Bondarchuck, duration 7h!

Shadows of Our Forgotten Ancestors, Sergei Parajanov. A very beautiful film about life&love in 19th century Carpathian mountains among Hutsul ethnic group.

Come and see by Elem Klimov. WWII. Here we go again, nasty Indoeroupeans fight without limits. Be warned, not really entertainment.

La r�volution fran�aise by Robert Enrico is a good 2-part movie.
Agora
Elizabeth, and Elizabeth the Golden Age
The Wind that shakes the barley
La reine Margot
Joyeux No�l - beautiful movie about the Christmas truce of 1915
The lives of others
The Duchess
The King's speech

I see you like historically based films. So do I. :)

The only one I haven't seen is the first one. I'll try to find it.

Il primo Re by Matteo Rovere. It’s an amazing film, made in proto latin

Sent from my iPhone using Eupedia Forum

I see you like historically based films. So do I. :)

The only one I haven't seen is the first one. I'll try to find it.

Yes, I love that kind of movie! But I'm no historian so I'm not particularly obsessed with perfect historical accuracy (there are history books for that). For ie, La Reine Margot was not particularly accurate but I enjoyed it. I also love all the TV series like The Crown, Victoria or Wolf Hall (excellent). Even The Tudors!
I think you can find the French revolution with English subtitles on Amazon.com
Do you have any good historically based Italian movie (the kind I've listed above) to recommend?

This thread has been viewed 78292 times.

Back