Is there evidence of an ancient C-world?

Abernathy

Reaction score
First of all, I'd like to greet you all: though I've been reading Eupedia Forum for quite a lot of time, this is the first time i dare to post in here. So, thank you all for what you taught me about Y-haplogroups and genetics :)

I apologize for my bad English too, hope what I'm going to write down will be clear enough.

Allright, let's focus on the topic, now.
You'll certainly know about Toba catastrophe theory, which hypothesizes a genetic bottleneck occurring some 74000 years ago, due to a tremendous volcanic eruption which would have cooled our Earth for quite a while. I don't mean to discuss whether this theory is reliable or not, what really puzzles me is the main evidence some people used against it: the similar artifacts they found in India, both below and over the thick layer of ashes the eruption left behind.

According to general knowledge, no modern human should have been in India at the time of Toba eruption, at least no one who left any surviving (male) descendant, since no surviving eurasian y-haplogroup has ever been supposed so old. Even hypothetical macro-haplogroup CT* shouldn't be older than 70.000 years BP.

Obviously, there are at least two easy solutions: 1) the crafted stones they find there were not a sapiens product, though they appear to be so; 2) those people were sapiens, but didn't leave any survival descendant.

But let's have a look at another option... The age we assign to every y-haplogroup is just a matter of statistics, based on the average frequency of DNA mutations. Let's assume C-related haplogroups to be a little older than generally accepted, just a few millennia.

C* paragroup has never be found west of India, whereas it can be found all over Southern and South-Eastern Asia (as well as amongst the Pacific Islanders, who got there from these very areas). It seems not too daring to set there its place of origin.

Several deep subcades of haplogroup C have been found in the whole Eurasia, though usually at quite low frequencies:
- CM8, which is only found in Japan and the Ryuku Islands.
- CM38, a Melanesian and Indonesian haplogroup
- C6, a Papuan haplogroup
- the much more widespread C3, which is the modal Mongol haplogroup, and is associated with Siberian people and Native American Na-Dené speakers as well.
- C4, the most common Aboriginal Australian haplogroup
- CV20, a recently discovered European (!) haplogroup, which indeed seems to be very, very old.

Finally, I'd spend a word about sweet Luzia, whose remnants (some 12000 years old) where found in Brasil in the 70's, and who really astonished archaeologists who found her skeleton, since her traits resembled Australoid/Negroid features much more than they resemble standard Native American ones:

*Here there should have been a facial reconstruction of Luzia, unfortunately, being a newbie, I'm not allowed to link any Url :( However, just check it out on wiki or wherever else on the web.*

So, connecting the dots, that's what the whole thing suggests me: haplogroup C* could be a little older than previously thought, which means it could have spread a lot from its Indian homeland, getting as far as Europe, Japan, Siberia ad possibly even South America, developing in all of these places its many different suclades, whose considerable genetic distance could hardly be explained otherwise.

Maybe those early settlers were just a few people with a lower-than-average birth rate, maybe a harsh environment or the later arrival of other groups critically damaged an initially larger population. What we know for certain is that haplogroup C bearers whose common (paternal) ancestor is much older than the one of most living Eurasians can be found, at scarce frequencies, all over the non-African Old World.

At about 45.000 years ago, some ancient people took the same path, moving from India or Western Asia to the whole rest of our planet, creating our well-known F-world.

But what if they were not the first ones, what if they just replaced an older and still mysterious C-world..?

Here are my humble two cents, I'll wait for your thoughts about that. Hope I didn't bored you too much :)

Great post.

I'm glad you've brought up the South American/Brazil situation. There is evidence of REALLY old activity on the East coast of South America and it can't fit into any of the current models.

Welcome to the site Abernathy!

This thread has been viewed 4856 times.

Back