Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Croatia becomes 28th EU member

  1. #1
    Satyavrata Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Maciamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    17-07-02
    Location
    Lothier
    Posts
    8,788
    Points
    732,414
    Level
    100
    Points: 732,414, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 53.0%


    Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic
    Country: Belgium - Brussels



    Smile Croatia becomes 28th EU member



    Croatia has joined today the European Union, becoming its 28th member state, just two decades after it declared independence from Yugoslavia. Croatia is hoping to join the Eurozone within 4 or 5 years.
    My book selection---Follow me on Facebook and Twitter --- My profile on Academia.edu and on ResearchGate ----Check Wa-pedia's Japan Guide
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

  2. #2
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    26-10-11
    Location
    Prishtinë, Kosovo
    Posts
    400
    Points
    9,046
    Level
    28
    Points: 9,046, Level: 28
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    E1b1b1a2*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    J1c3

    Ethnic group
    Kosovar-Albanian
    Country: Kosovo



    Congratulations to Croatia, wish them all the best of luck with the Eurozone!

  3. #3
    Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    LeBrok's Avatar
    Join Date
    18-11-09
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    10,331
    Points
    113,888
    Level
    100
    Points: 113,888, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b Z2109
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1c

    Ethnic group
    Citizen of the world
    Country: Canada-Alberta



    In face of people hoping for disintegration of EU.
    Be wary of people who tend to glorify the past, underestimate the present, and demonize the future.

  4. #4
    Regular Member Achievements:
    100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Dovadiv's Avatar
    Join Date
    29-06-13
    Location
    Antwerp
    Posts
    11
    Points
    155
    Level
    2
    Points: 155, Level: 2
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 95
    Overall activity: 11.0%


    Country: Belgium



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Croatia is a good tourism place , so they will get enough money , but i heard that the Serbs want to join , and i fully disagree about that. Those war mongs attacked Bosnia , Kosovo , Croatia , Macedonia , etc.. , and it wasn't so long ago that that happend.
    They killed a lot of people , in a cruel way.

  5. #5
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassThree FriendsVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Templar's Avatar
    Join Date
    23-10-11
    Posts
    622
    Points
    8,324
    Level
    27
    Points: 8,324, Level: 27
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 426
    Overall activity: 0%


    Ethnic group
    Paleolithic European
    Country: Bosnia & Herzegovina



    2 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dovadiv View Post
    Croatia is a good tourism place , so they will get enough money , but i heard that the Serbs want to join , and i fully disagree about that. Those war mongs attacked Bosnia , Kosovo , Croatia , Macedonia , etc.. , and it wasn't so long ago that that happend.
    They killed a lot of people , in a cruel way.
    True, but not all Serbs are bad people. Many are just brainwashed by their elders or just were raised in an environment where they were surrounded by extremely conservative villagers. Once education and internet access expands, atheism will eventually prevail and they will lose their strong nationalism. From all the evidence I've seen, it was religion that created for them a sense of division and reason why to hate neighboring Muslim people. I think we should always judge people as individuals rather than in groups.

    Religion can be a very dangerous thing indeed.

  6. #6
    Regular Member Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranThree Friends25000 Experience Points
    Yetos's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-10-11
    Location
    Makedonia
    Posts
    5,250
    Points
    42,213
    Level
    63
    Points: 42,213, Level: 63
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 737
    Overall activity: 41.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    G2a3a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    X2b

    Ethnic group
    Makedonian original
    Country: Greece



    If Croats wanted that, and voted for it, I wish them every luck, and hapiness and prosperity,
    If was a politicians choice, my compassions to them.
    ΟΘΕΝ ΑΙΔΩΣ OY EINAI
    ΑΤΗ ΛΑΜΒΑΝΕΙΝ ΑΥΤΟΙΣ
    ΥΒΡΙΣ ΓΕΝΝΑΤΑΙ
    ΝΕΜΕΣΙΣ ΚΑΙ ΤΙΣΗ ΑΚΟΛΟΥΘΟΥΣΙ ΔΕ

    When there is no shame
    Divine blindness conquers them
    Hybris (abuse, opprombium) is born
    Nemesis and punishment follows.

    Εχε υπομονη Ηρωα
    Η τιμωρια δεν αργει.

  7. #7
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Cambrius (The Red)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    27-06-09
    Posts
    2,640
    Points
    12,808
    Level
    34
    Points: 12,808, Level: 34
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 542
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b (RL-21*)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H3

    Ethnic group
    Gallaecian Celtic
    Country: USA - Ohio



    Congratulations Croatia! Let's hope things start improving in the EU and the Eurozone, otherwise ...

  8. #8
    His Royal Highness Achievements:
    Three Friends1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Coolboygcp's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-08-13
    Location
    Floridé, Le Monde, Florida, The Earth, Florida, Die Erde
    Posts
    156
    Points
    2,253
    Level
    13
    Points: 2,253, Level: 13
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 197
    Overall activity: 0%


    Ethnic group
    English, Northern Irish, Scottish, Norwegian, Danish, Dutch, French, Irish, Greek
    Country: USA - Florida



    Welcome Croatia! I believe that they will be a great member of the EU over the years to come!

    Did anyone see those big festivities held in the capital of Croatia when they acceded to the EU? Simply brilliant.

  9. #9
    Regular Member Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    14-10-11
    Posts
    1,048
    Points
    9,076
    Level
    28
    Points: 9,076, Level: 28
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 274
    Overall activity: 13.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    Yes
    MtDNA haplogroup
    Yes

    Ethnic group
    German
    Country: Germany



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    ...atheism will eventually prevail and they will lose their strong nationalism. From all the evidence I've seen, it was religion that created for them a sense of division and reason why to hate neighboring Muslim people.
    I thought this conflict was not religious. Since turks brought islam to balkans, nationalistic serbs consider all muslims as turks by proxy and use christendom as proxy for their own nationalism. By that I agree that without religions this "turk-non-turk" paranoia would probably disappear.
    Maybe the Northern Ireland conflict is similar (protestant-catholic)?

  10. #10
    Passione Mediterranea Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points
    julia90's Avatar
    Join Date
    24-09-10
    Location
    Florence-Prato
    Posts
    1,134
    Points
    40,630
    Level
    62
    Points: 40,630, Level: 62
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,020
    Overall activity: 0%


    Ethnic group
    Tuscan-Italian-(European)
    Country: Italy



    Congrats to the Hrvats

  11. #11
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassThree FriendsVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Templar's Avatar
    Join Date
    23-10-11
    Posts
    622
    Points
    8,324
    Level
    27
    Points: 8,324, Level: 27
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 426
    Overall activity: 0%


    Ethnic group
    Paleolithic European
    Country: Bosnia & Herzegovina



    Quote Originally Posted by ElHorsto View Post
    I thought this conflict was not religious. Since turks brought islam to balkans, nationalistic serbs consider all muslims as turks by proxy and use christendom as proxy for their own nationalism. By that I agree that without religions this "turk-non-turk" paranoia would probably disappear.
    Maybe the Northern Ireland conflict is similar (protestant-catholic)?
    There are no major differences between Croats, Bosniaks, and Serbs; other than religion. If they all had the same religion, they would have assimilated into one big ethnicity a long time ago.

    "Maybe the Northern Ireland conflict is similar (protestant-catholic)?"

    Exactly. Religious diversity causes problems where ever it is present.

  12. #12
    Regular Member Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    14-10-11
    Posts
    1,048
    Points
    9,076
    Level
    28
    Points: 9,076, Level: 28
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 274
    Overall activity: 13.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    Yes
    MtDNA haplogroup
    Yes

    Ethnic group
    German
    Country: Germany



    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    There are no major differences between Croats, Bosniaks, and Serbs; other than religion. If they all had the same religion, they would have assimilated into one big ethnicity a long time ago.

    "Maybe the Northern Ireland conflict is similar (protestant-catholic)?"

    Exactly. Religious diversity causes problems where ever it is present.
    I mean religion was just a label for culture and history, like language is, or like red and blue shirts in sports are. If they would speak different languages (turkish, german, russian) then they would probably still not be one ethnicity despite having the same religion, or would they?

  13. #13
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    Nobody1's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-03-13
    Posts
    1,040
    Points
    5,756
    Level
    22
    Points: 5,756, Level: 22
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 294
    Overall activity: 34.0%


    Country: Germany - Baden-Wurttemberg



    Quote Originally Posted by ElHorsto View Post
    I mean religion was just a label for culture and history, like language is, or like red and blue shirts in sports are. If they would speak different languages (turkish, german, russian) then they would probably still not be one ethnicity despite having the same religion, or would they?
    Ustase considered Bosniaks to be ethnic Croats - but religiously Muslim;
    Handschar and Black Legion were also part of NDH;

    I think animosities between Bosniaks and Serbs is greater than between Croats and Bosniaks;
    maybe Jasenovac and Bleiburg were still very much alive in Yugoslav consciousness after Tito died;
    Fears of loosing powers and control again especially on side of the Serbs;

    In the 90s Yugoslav wars there were also Christian volunteers fighting alongside the muslim Bosniaks against the Serbs;

    Just one example story -
    http://www.apnewsarchive.com/1993/Ge...4615e4bb5d2bc0

  14. #14
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    20-11-12
    Posts
    577
    Points
    3,220
    Level
    16
    Points: 3,220, Level: 16
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 230
    Overall activity: 19.0%


    Country: Canada



    Quote Originally Posted by ElHorsto View Post
    I mean religion was just a label for culture and history, like language is, or like red and blue shirts in sports are. If they would speak different languages (turkish, german, russian) then they would probably still not be one ethnicity despite having the same religion, or would they?
    The balkan tensions were created in the last 400 years, as a divide and conquer policy by the ottoman empire. They wanted the Balkans to be a mix of muslims and christians so that they would argue with each-other and not unite against the turks. Unfortunately, a lot of people in the Balkans are stupid and don't understand this.

  15. #15
    Regular Member Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    14-10-11
    Posts
    1,048
    Points
    9,076
    Level
    28
    Points: 9,076, Level: 28
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 274
    Overall activity: 13.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    Yes
    MtDNA haplogroup
    Yes

    Ethnic group
    German
    Country: Germany



    Quote Originally Posted by Nobody1 View Post
    Ustase considered Bosniaks to be ethnic Croats - but religiously Muslim;
    Handschar and Black Legion were also part of NDH;

    I think animosities between Bosniaks and Serbs is greater than between Croats and Bosniaks;
    maybe Jasenovac and Bleiburg were still very much alive in Yugoslav consciousness after Tito died;
    Fears of loosing powers and control again especially on side of the Serbs;

    In the 90s Yugoslav wars there were also Christian volunteers fighting alongside the muslim Bosniaks against the Serbs;

    Just one example story -
    http://www.apnewsarchive.com/1993/Ge...4615e4bb5d2bc0
    I think this has changed a lot during the conflict. These right-wing and catholic volunteers came mostly during the early ninetees because they thought the serbs were pro-yugoslavian communist partizans and because they assumed to help Ustase and Handzar from the past. Later most of them (except the catholics) changed their opinion and went home, because they realized that serbs were acting very nationalistic and not so yugoslavian. Finally serb and croat inmates in Den Hague even cooperated together against the court. Looks like the serb-croat animosities were bigger at the beginning.

  16. #16
    His Royal Highness Achievements:
    Three Friends1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Coolboygcp's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-08-13
    Location
    Floridé, Le Monde, Florida, The Earth, Florida, Die Erde
    Posts
    156
    Points
    2,253
    Level
    13
    Points: 2,253, Level: 13
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 197
    Overall activity: 0%


    Ethnic group
    English, Northern Irish, Scottish, Norwegian, Danish, Dutch, French, Irish, Greek
    Country: USA - Florida



    I think that some other Balkan states could join the EU, however, some I am against.

    None of the following:

    Kosovo
    Serbia
    Albania

    These three have too many issues to deal with, and they can't join the EU until these issues are resolved.

    Bosnia, maybe they can join, same with Montenegro, etc. I think other nations, ie, Iceland, Greenland, Faroe Islands, Turkey, Morocco, Norway, Sweden; would better new members of the EU.

  17. #17
    Regular Member Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    14-10-11
    Posts
    1,048
    Points
    9,076
    Level
    28
    Points: 9,076, Level: 28
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 274
    Overall activity: 13.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    Yes
    MtDNA haplogroup
    Yes

    Ethnic group
    German
    Country: Germany



    Quote Originally Posted by kamani View Post
    The balkan tensions were created in the last 400 years, as a divide and conquer policy by the ottoman empire. They wanted the Balkans to be a mix of muslims and christians so that they would argue with each-other and not unite against the turks. Unfortunately, a lot of people in the Balkans are stupid and don't understand this.
    Very true. And not only the ottomans were involved but also Rome, Byzantinum, Austria-Hungary, Russia, England, Saudi-Arabia, Germany, France, US, Soviet Union. The serb-croat division in particular is mostly due to catholic vs. orthodox division, which comes from west rome and byzantinum, resp., not from ottomans.

  18. #18
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    Nobody1's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-03-13
    Posts
    1,040
    Points
    5,756
    Level
    22
    Points: 5,756, Level: 22
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 294
    Overall activity: 34.0%


    Country: Germany - Baden-Wurttemberg



    Quote Originally Posted by ElHorsto View Post
    I think this has changed a lot during the conflict. These right-wing and catholic volunteers came mostly during the early ninetees because they thought the serbs were pro-yugoslavian communist partizans and because they assumed to help Ustase and Handzar from the past. Later most of them (except the catholics) changed their opinion and went home, because they realized that serbs were acting very nationalistic and not so yugoslavian. Finally serb and croat inmates in Den Hague even cooperated together against the court. Looks like the serb-croat animosities were bigger at the beginning.
    Yes,
    The political aspect [Nationalism/Communism] def. played a part in the early stages with the volunteers;

    I think it also changed the most when the Mujahideens started to show up in Bosnia;
    Maybe the Sarajevo area was still different;

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •