Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Map of Germanic paternal lineages

Quote Originally Posted by sparkey View Post
    Have you seen what Maciamo had to say in this thread?
    Indeed there is 2% Germanic R1b in Serbia. I assumed according to the R1b-S21 map that the northern R1b subclades were totally absent (in favor to the South Eastern R1b). If you see Maciamo, well, recommend an update on R-S21.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b Df27(Spain)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5b2a2(Prussia)

Ethnic group
    Celto-Germanic, Latino(~6%)

Quote Originally Posted by 1L1JA View Post
    Indeed there is 2% Germanic R1b in Serbia. I assumed according to the R1b-S21 map that the northern R1b subclades were totally absent (in favor to the South Eastern R1b). If you see Maciamo, well, recommend an update on R-S21.
    where did u hear R1b S21 is 2% in Serbia because in maciamo's map he includes any areas with 1-5% but most of Serbia was not included. many areas with I1 did not have any R1b s21.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Haired View Post
    where did u hear R1b S21 is 2% in Serbia because in maciamo's map he includes any areas with 1-5% but most of Serbia was not included. many areas with I1 did not have any R1b s21.
    I can not post or quote a link, so you have to see the link in post #24 from sparkey in Maciamo's thread (see the study "Serbian Y-DNA by Regueiro et al"). If you then google a pdf or image to this study you may find a tree about the serbian groups. Or try it in this way (if the moderation will allow it): w w w.dodaj.rs/f/N/is/3snt1Qj1/1/haplogroupsydnaserbia.jpg

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I1*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5a1b4

Ethnic group
    English/British Isles

This seems like a pretty good general picture, only issue i would have thought is the 'local' spike of R1b-U106 in the Netherlands and Frisia which may make it slightly disproportionate compared to autosomal genetics, but then again the same could be said about I1 for example, so this shouldn't be an issue really.

It's quite accurate in regards to England - consistent with POBI which found most of England was also about 50-60% Germanic, with the remainder being a mix of Irish-like and northern French-like DNA (So i guess mainly a mixture of Insular and Central European Celtic peoples, probably explained at least partly by the migration of Belgic tribes prior to Roman arrival).

Although i am a little confused as to why Lincolnshire is slightly less...By all rights it's probably the most Germanic place in the whole country, or one of the most.
    'Wise men speak only of what they know' - J.R.R. Tolkien

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-L48+

Ethnic group
    German, Scottish

Excellent map. Great synthesis. Bravo.
    -Mbw

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b Df27(Spain)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5b2a2(Prussia)

Ethnic group

Quote Originally Posted by mbw1986 View Post
    Excellent map. Great synthesis. Bravo.
    -Mbw
    are u talking about maciamo's map or my copy and paste of r1b 21.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-L48+

Ethnic group
    German, Scottish

Maciamo's Germanic map.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b Df27(Spain)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5b2a2(Prussia)

Ethnic group

Quote Originally Posted by mbw1986 View Post
    Maciamo's Germanic map.
    thanks for the info

Ethnic group
    english,bavaria.thats all i know

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson View Post
    This seems like a pretty good general picture, only issue i would have thought is the 'local' spike of R1b-U106 in the Netherlands and Frisia which may make it slightly disproportionate compared to autosomal genetics, but then again the same could be said about I1 for example, so this shouldn't be an issue really.

It's quite accurate in regards to England - consistent with POBI which found most of England was also about 50-60% Germanic, with the remainder being a mix of Irish-like and northern French-like DNA (So i guess mainly a mixture of Insular and Central European Celtic peoples, probably explained at least partly by the migration of Belgic tribes prior to Roman arrival).
    I agree....

Ethnic group

knordvedt believes there is only 30-40% ydna in england

Ethnic group

any response to knordvedt estimates

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I2c1 PF3892+ (Swiss)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U4a (Cornish)

Ethnic group
    3/4 Colonial American, 1/8 Cornish, 1/8 Welsh

Quote Originally Posted by tjlowery87 View Post
    any response to knordvedt estimates
    They sound about right for England as a whole, although some areas certainly reach higher than 30-40% (like Norfolk, for example) and some certainly drop lower (like Cornwall).

Ethnic group

thanks sparkey,i wonder what the percentage might be if you had to estimate women who have fathers with Germanic ydna?

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I1*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5a1b4

Ethnic group
    English/British Isles

Quote Originally Posted by sparkey View Post
    They sound about right for England as a whole, although some areas certainly reach higher than 30-40% (like Norfolk, for example) and some certainly drop lower (like Cornwall).
    Actually, put like that that does seem about right for the whole of the country. Some parts of the west and especially the far south-west as you say are predominantly Celtic in ancestry. Although most of south, east and central England is 50%+ (e.g where L21 drops to 10-15% or so) a lot of the fringe areas are probably more like 75%+ Celtic, and are still part of England.

Ethnic group

so Yorkshire down to kent is the most Germanic with about 50 plus%,basically like the people of brittish isla map says?

Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic

Quote Originally Posted by 1L1JA View Post
    It is true that there is very little data about R1b-S21 in the Balkans at the moment. In all logic R1b-S21 should be found within the 1-5% range in many places in Southeast Europe considering that I1 is found everywhere and I2b1 in many locations too.
    My book selection---Follow me on Facebook and Twitter --- My profile on Academia.edu and on ResearchGate ----Check Wa-pedia's Japan Guide
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

Ethnic group

maciamo,what is your opinion on the amount of Germanic dna in England?

Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic

maciamo,what is your opinion on the amount of Germanic dna in England?
    What is your question more specifically ?

Ethnic group

i was wondering how much y dna you think is in England that is germanic

Ethnic group

if you had any estimate between the east and the west of Germanic dna in england

Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic

i was wondering how much y dna you think is in England that is germanic
    About 50% (+-5%). It could be more if you count non-Germanic haplogroups that came with Germanic people. It is very likely that the Anglo-Saxons carried a small percentage of Neolithic lineages like E1b1b, G2a, J or T.

Ethnic group

thanks maciamo

Ethnic group

my theory after talking to seaveral different folks on the subject of Germanic ydna in England is
    at the least I would say that 50% of east England (central to east) is Germanic and that England as a whole would be about 25 to 40% Germanic,this would also go well with the people of the brittish isles map.At the most I would say about 50% in all Germanic.does that sound about right?

Ethnic group

so what has changed over the years that has made England look more Germanic?if I remember correctly sykes(I think)use to say that there was bearly any Germanic dna in England,but know it seems its around 50%, so what changed?.......as all ways thanks for your replys.

Hi Maciamo. Thank you for this great idea of yours that is Eupedia.
    Two notations:
    - I expected that in some zones of Umbria and Toscana the Lombard impact was as high as in north-western Italy at least: in fact the existence of Duchy of Tuscia and the Duchy of Spoleto suggested a significant possible concentration of lombard population (i.e. not limited to soldiers and their families) in those areas;
    - the map of higher germanic paternal lineages in continental Italy seems to roughly correspond to the a map of the towns which have a reference to lombard "fara" in there names, as to confirm that in those areas arrived entire clans, not only soldiers.

One question: what you think could be a way to distinguish Goth influence on paternal lineages from the Lombard one? (notice that I think that Goth influence on "italian" is far lower of the Lombard one, as the historical sources seem to confirm that after the notorious gothic war very few Goths survived or remained in Italy).

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast