Map of Germanic paternal lineages

Indeed there is 2% Germanic R1b in Serbia. I assumed according to the R1b-S21 map that the northern R1b subclades were totally absent (in favor to the South Eastern R1b). If you see Maciamo, well, recommend an update on R-S21.

It is true that there is very little data about R1b-S21 in the Balkans at the moment. In all logic R1b-S21 should be found within the 1-5% range in many places in Southeast Europe considering that I1 is found everywhere and I2b1 in many locations too.

maciamo,what is your opinion on the amount of Germanic dna in England?

i was wondering how much y dna you think is in England that is germanic

if you had any estimate between the east and the west of Germanic dna in england

i was wondering how much y dna you think is in England that is germanic

About 50% (+-5%). It could be more if you count non-Germanic haplogroups that came with Germanic people. It is very likely that the Anglo-Saxons carried a small percentage of Neolithic lineages like E1b1b, G2a, J or T.

my theory after talking to seaveral different folks on the subject of Germanic ydna in England is
at the least I would say that 50% of east England (central to east) is Germanic and that England as a whole would be about 25 to 40% Germanic,this would also go well with the people of the brittish isles map.At the most I would say about 50% in all Germanic.does that sound about right?

so what has changed over the years that has made England look more Germanic?if I remember correctly sykes(I think)use to say that there was bearly any Germanic dna in England,but know it seems its around 50%, so what changed?.......as all ways thanks for your replys.

Hi Maciamo. Thank you for this great idea of yours that is Eupedia.
Two notations:
- I expected that in some zones of Umbria and Toscana the Lombard impact was as high as in north-western Italy at least: in fact the existence of Duchy of Tuscia and the Duchy of Spoleto suggested a significant possible concentration of lombard population (i.e. not limited to soldiers and their families) in those areas;
- the map of higher germanic paternal lineages in continental Italy seems to roughly correspond to the a map of the towns which have a reference to lombard "fara" in there names, as to confirm that in those areas arrived entire clans, not only soldiers.

One question: what you think could be a way to distinguish Goth influence on paternal lineages from the Lombard one? (notice that I think that Goth influence on "italian" is far lower of the Lombard one, as the historical sources seem to confirm that after the notorious gothic war very few Goths survived or remained in Italy).

so basically England is about 60 percent Germanic and 40 percent italo-celtic?

Pretty much. The most extensive genetic study of the British Isles has shown up basically this.

Y DNA does not tell ur full ancestry just ur direct male line. I would agree though that England is mainly decended from Germanic people from around Netherlands and Denmark since they have such high amounts of blonde hair then compared to for example Ireland.

This seems like a pretty good general picture, only issue i would have thought is the 'local' spike of R1b-U106 in the Netherlands and Frisia which may make it slightly disproportionate compared to autosomal genetics, but then again the same could be said about I1 for example, so this shouldn't be an issue really.

It's quite accurate in regards to England - consistent with POBI which found most of England was also about 50-60% Germanic, with the remainder being a mix of Irish-like and northern French-like DNA (So i guess mainly a mixture of Insular and Central European Celtic peoples, probably explained at least partly by the migration of Belgic tribes prior to Roman arrival).

Although i am a little confused as to why Lincolnshire is slightly less...By all rights it's probably the most Germanic place in the whole country, or one of the most.

it seems as a whole a sensible map - just some points:
all the Y-R1b-U106 and Y-I223 and even Y-I1 are not to be put on account of the only Germanics in far eastern Europe (N-Russia), maube Estonia too
Y-I223 in N-W Europe and the Isles can have had other origins than the only germanic one -
in the Netherlands, Frisia has AND more Y-R-U106 AND more Y-I1 than other parts of the country (southern Netherlands have even lesser than dutch average)
in details, central-east Wales had surely more germanic Y-haplos than the remnant, even in the southern towns (surely not an hazard, spite the same number of "welsh names" than other central regions of Wales if not more, this central-east welsh region had more depigmented hairs than others, and the Welsh language border line makes like a concave curve there, this little part having abandoned welsh language even before Gwent/Monmouth (S-E) and Denbych/Denbigh, N-E very anglicized today

New map with the hotspot of Molise and Catania province.

eqOIrhG.gif

Dear Friends!

I1 and I2 are not germanic not either indoeuroean.They are indigenous europeans assimilated by the newcomers.I1 was found in neolithic Hungary unike R1a and R1b.

I wonder why there is so much of Germanic Y-DNA in areas (red borders below) from which Germans were expelled after WW2:

Expelled.png

Most of people who live there today, came from Belarus, Ukraine, Lithuania, Eastern Poland, Southern Poland.

Check this thread:

http://www.eupedia.com/forum/thread...les-from-Greater-Poland-(West-Central-Poland)

Mapa_ZO_3.png

So did ethnic Poles from places like Belarus had so much of Germanic Y-DNA - or who had it ??? :petrified:

I wonder why there is so much of Germanic Y-DNA in areas (red borders below) from which Germans were expelled after WW2::petrified:

Easy answer. Y-DNA frequencies usually look at the oldest known patrilineal ancestor's place of origin, which can be anything from 100 to 500+ years ago. Therefore Y-DNA frequencies and maps (on this site and others, including 23andMe) represent pre-industrial distributions, not present ones.

This thread has been viewed 128686 times.

Back