E1b1b1 / E3b / E-M35 / E-V13 in the UK

An amendment to my last post:
It looks like my sub-clade is E-M35.2 and it doesn't look like this part of my family left the West Midlands. I have a few clues pointing towards Surrey at the very beginning of the 1500's (when the family all but drops off the map in Warwickshire) but I don't see the evidence to take it further, there must have been quite a few people with that surname.

My earliest ancester is an Elliott. Born in new hampshire 1793. Im linked to the UK with some Coles, Rumleys, & Rumseys, as well as Romerils from the Channel islands.( romeril is among many close names said to be given to people from Rome. Rumsey, Rumley, & Ramsey are said to be anglesised forms of Romeril.i am waiting for a link to an Elliott in the UK with E1b1b1.

Glad this thread was started...My Shirley ancestors were from Oxfordshire England area...rare haplo e-m134- (m34-). My paternal grandmother carried these genes...dark eyes, dark complexion, black hair until the day she died at age 94...she is a source of my Anatolia, No. Italy, Tuscan-like Admixtures.

Since my last post i have found i am m-81/M-183, negative for V-13. This is even more rare in Britain. My automosal says im 86% british isles with 96% europe. 2% north african which points to source of the M-183. Berber Roman troops or immigration across the straits?

Since my last post i have found i am m-81/M-183, negative for V-13. This is even more rare in Britain. My automosal says im 86% british isles with 96% europe. 2% north african which points to source of the M-183. Berber Roman troops or immigration across the straits?

If you still have 2% North African it might be more recent, although sometimes a certain sequence proves resistant to recombination. If it is that old, Berber troops are certainly one possibility.

TheNumerus Maurorum Aurelianorum, were stationed along the wall, for example.

http://roman-britain.co.uk/places/aballava.htm

There may have been others.

I am a descendant of Andrew Warner from Great Waltham Essex England who immigrated to Massachusetts. I changed my name to Grant. My yDNA is E-M5021 a clad of E-M35. Any Warner’s out there with E-M5021?

Hey all.

I'm E1b1b1a3b L-17 and come from england. I thought this was a rare haplogroup for Britain. Some people say it's a Jewish ancestry but I think mine is not. I'm sure it was brought here by the Romans and also I read that it has communities more common in the balkans.

23andme told me I was E-m5021 which is just another name for the same haplogroup. But they don't tell you that when you're told the result.

I've actually seen guys on the forums there worried they may be adopted because they and their father had different haplogroup results. But these two are the same. But I only found this out recently and I'm relieved that it was.

I've also heard this haplogroup is you d sometimes in the Ukraine as well.

Question about e-v13 in britain

My last name is Beesley. I'm from Canada. I just received my Y-DNA analysis from Living DNA. I'm a E-V13 too. I'm a newbie to ancestry genetic testing, but I've also read Bird about the theory of the source of Balkan E-V13 in Britain. It's interesting that the population distribution information I got from my test doesn't even list Britain in the list of populations with E-V13. I'm a little confused because I've read in other places that E-V13 is present in about 5% of British men. Can anyone help me with this apparent discrepancy? Just how rare is E-V13 in Britain? And if so, is it significant in any way? Thanks for any assistance.

This may interest british people that are EV13. From the bosnian dna project:

http://bosnjackidnk.com/e-z16988-klimente/

Subclade E-Z16988 which seems to be the main EV13 of the Albanian Kelmendi tribe also has British people under the name "Smith" showing up.

Here is a google translated excerpt from the article:

"Interestingly, the Kliment genetically closer Z16988 to the Germans and the British, than to neighboring Bjelopavici and other Balkan nations. It is most likely that one of the branches of the Illyrian climatic ancestors went to live in the territory of Germany. Most of the E-Z16988 Germans from the southwest of Germany and the British with this haplogroup are being called Smith."

This may interest british people that are EV13. From the bosnian dna project:

http://bosnjackidnk.com/e-z16988-klimente/

Subclade E-Z16988 which seems to be the main EV13 of the Albanian Kelmendi tribe also has British people under the name "Smith" showing up.

Here is a google translated excerpt from the article:

"Interestingly, the Kliment genetically closer Z16988 to the Germans and the British, than to neighboring Bjelopavici and other Balkan nations. It is most likely that one of the branches of the Illyrian climatic ancestors went to live in the territory of Germany. Most of the E-Z16988 Germans from the southwest of Germany and the British with this haplogroup are being called Smith."

So would it mean that even though its Illyrian it was carried to the Balkans by Germans? Or rather, in the British persons case, would it be from Roman campaigns in the British Isles?

So would it mean that even though its Illyrian it was carried to the Balkans by Germans? Or rather, in the British persons case, would it be from Roman campaigns in the British Isles?

I'm not sure since i dont know how accurate their study is, nor how accurate the google translate is. If @Trojet is around maybe he can help explain this

Hey all.

I'm E1b1b1a3b L-17 and come from england. I thought this was a rare haplogroup for Britain. Some people say it's a Jewish ancestry but I think mine is not. I'm sure it was brought here by the Romans and also I read that it has communities more common in the balkans.

23andme told me I was E-m5021 which is just another name for the same haplogroup. But they don't tell you that when you're told the result.

I've actually seen guys on the forums there worried they may be adopted because they and their father had different haplogroup results. But these two are the same. But I only found this out recently and I'm relieved that it was.

I've also heard this haplogroup is you d sometimes in the Ukraine as well.

My paternal haplogroup is E-M5021 too.

My ancestry breakup is:

Balkan - Greece: 86.2%
Italian: 9.4%
Broadly Southern European: 3.6%
West Asian & North African: 0.6%
Unassigned: 0.2%

My ancestry is wholly from the Peloponnesus regions of Arcadia, Achaea and Elis in S Greece. I also have a single Italian ancestor born between 1760 and 1850.

I have been looking for info on E-M5021 but I can't find anything at all. All I know is it's somehow connected to E1b1b.

Anyone have any clue?

Hi, everyone.

I ran my Dad's raw DNA file from AncestryDNA through Morley's Y-DNA programme. The result I received was: E1b1b1b1a2-2. I'm really intrigued by this as while we're not from the UK, we're from Ireland. It seems to be a very uncommon haplogroup here.

My question is: can I trust this result? And I wonder whether many others from Ireland had similar results?

Newbie here. I recently had my Y-DNA tested by FamilyTreeDNA, 67 markers, with the result being E-M35 and no matches except just 2 at the 12-marker level.
I was born in Essex, England, and my earliest-known paternal line ancestor was John Clark (c. 1769-1851), a gardener of Springfield, Essex, England. Unfortunately I have no information about John except that he was born in Essex but not in Springfield (he fell short of the 1851 census by just a couple of months).
I must admit that I'm puzzled by the absence of matches, and I don't really understand where I might go from here.
I will add that my FamilyTreeDNA autosomal "Family Finder" results are meaningless to me, whereas those I obtained from Ancestry are much more meaningful and confirm a number of branches of my family tree obtained via traditional genealogical methods (censuses, certificates, etc.)
I am an experienced family historian (since 1996) but a complete novice with DNA.
Would welcome any comments.

Hi aussienoel! Could you please share your STR marker values? That way we could check your deeper subclade classification and give you a better idea of your paternal ancestry.

An example:
12 24 14 10 16-18... etc.

Certainly can. I don't really understand why FamilyTreeDNA doesn't give the subclade - seems to me that's what I've paid for... but I can't find it yet.
Here we go (in order as listed to me):
DYS393: 11
DYS390: 25
DYS19: 13
DYS391: 10
DYS385: 16-18
DYS426: 11
DYS388: 12
DYS439: 12
DYS389-I: 13
DYS392: 11
DYS389-II: 30
DYS458: 15
DYS459: 9-9-9
DYS455: 11
DYS454: 11
DYS447: 26
DYS437: 14
DYS448: 20
DYS449: 34
DYS464: 14-14-15-17-17-18
DYS460: 9
GATA-H4: 11
YCAII: 19-21
DYS456: 17
DYS607: 12
DYS576: 15
DYS570: 19
CDY:30-30-34
DYS442: 12
DYS438: 10
DYS531: 10
DYS578: 8
DYF395S1: 15-15
DYS590: 8
DYS537: 11
DYS641: 10
DYS472: 8
DYF406S1: 12
DYS511: 10
DYS425: 0
DYS413: 23-24
DYS557: 17
DYS594: 11
DYS436: 12
DYS490: 12
DYS534: 18
DYS450: 7
DYS444: 12
DYS481: 22
DYS520: 18
DYS446: 12
DYS617: 14
DYS568: 11
DYS487: 15
DYS572: 11
DYS640: 11
DYS492: 11
DYS565: 11

Thank you! Well the safest way to determine your subclade is through SNP testing and since you did a STR test FTDNA doesn't go beyond E-M35. The STR values can be compared to others however, so results with common values can have their subclades determined with a fair amount of certainty. I would recommend that you join an FTDNA project as project administrators are your best bet for this. One such project is this: https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/e-v13/about/background.

I'm not an expert on haplogroup E but I'll try to be helpful. Some of your values are quite uncommon, especially DYS393=11, but you should be E1b-V13. That means your paternal ancestor was likely either in Central or in Southeastern Europe during the Bronze Age. The migration to England could have happened any time between then and now, but E1b-V13 movements to the UK have mostly been associated with the Roman period, especially Balkan Legionaries guarding the borders of the Empire. Here's some more info on that: https://www.eupedia.com/europe/Haplogroup_E1b1b_Y-DNA.shtml. Because of those uncommon values, it is difficult to classify you in a deeper subclade, which could have revealed connections more recent than the Roman Empire. If I had to guess it would be either L17 (https://www.yfull.com/tree/E-L17/) or Z17107 (https://www.yfull.com/tree/E-Z17107/), but it's a pretty wild guess right now. Again, I suggest you speak to a project administrator on FTDNA, or if one happens to read this here, maybe they can offer more info.

Keep in mind that this is just only the ancestry of your paternal line, so genealogical relations with people who don't share that same ancestor will go unnoticed.

Perhaps you can answer my question. FTDNA recommends that I test for two SNPs - Y2491 and L117. Does that seem to be appropriate?

I find the FTDNA website very clumsy to navigate at this stage.

My last name is Beesley. I'm from Canada. I just received my Y-DNA analysis from Living DNA. I'm a E-V13 too. I'm a newbie to ancestry genetic testing, but I've also read Bird about the theory of the source of Balkan E-V13 in Britain. It's interesting that the population distribution information I got from my test doesn't even list Britain in the list of populations with E-V13. I'm a little confused because I've read in other places that E-V13 is present in about 5% of British men. Can anyone help me with this apparent discrepancy? Just how rare is E-V13 in Britain? And if so, is it significant in any way? Thanks for any assistance.

its not true E v13 in Britain is entirely Ballkanic. It appears E v13 is an indoeuropean haplogroup. It means this people mixed in Anatolia before moving to Britaian. So check the E-v13 tree and see if yours is Ballkanic

This thread has been viewed 49866 times.

Back