E1b1b1 / E3b / E-M35 / E-V13 in the UK

I'm E-V13, am English born, can trace my male line back to a marriage in 1673 (but no prior birth record), ancestors have always lived in Derbyshire, and we have an Anglo Saxon/Scandinavian surname (Jepson/Jepsen).

My autosomal spread (courtesy LivingDNA) is as follows
Europe 100%:
Great Britain and Ireland 82.6%
Europe (North and West) 12.1%
Europe (South) 5.3%

...so to my mind, my ancestors migrated here from Germany/Denmark rather than Macedonia or Thrace making me likely a Celt (not quite far enough north to be a Brigantes) rather than a Roman Legionnaire - different sides of the war!

However, I do wonder if there is a possibility my x-grandfather arrived here in the relatively more recent past considering how the records lose all references to my surname, ok, that maybe due to lack of/destroyed records during the 1642-1651 Civil War but anybody now of any foreign fighters in the English Civil War for example.

E-V13 formed about 8000 years ago, and TMRCA is about 4800 years ago so this is well before Germany or Denmark existed. its likely that your ancestor came through that area en-route to where you are now but its been pretty well established that the haplogroup is most likely from the Balkan area

I'm E-V13, am English born, can trace my male line back to a marriage in 1673 (but no prior birth record), ancestors have always lived in Derbyshire, and we have an Anglo Saxon/Scandinavian surname (Jepson/Jepsen).

My autosomal spread (courtesy LivingDNA) is as follows
Europe 100%:
Great Britain and Ireland 82.6%
Europe (North and West) 12.1%
Europe (South) 5.3%

...so to my mind, my ancestors migrated here from Germany/Denmark rather than Macedonia or Thrace making me likely a Celt (not quite far enough north to be a Brigantes) rather than a Roman Legionnaire - different sides of the war!

However, I do wonder if there is a possibility my x-grandfather arrived here in the relatively more recent past considering how the records lose all references to my surname, ok, that maybe due to lack of/destroyed records during the 1642-1651 Civil War but anybody now of any foreign fighters in the English Civil War for example.

Hi English MONGREL! If really interested where your ancestors might have originated you have to do get a more expanded clade analysis, not just E v13. (of course for some extra money)! Let say in my case after deep clade result I found out that members of my clade were in Düsseldorf Germany, Denmark, and even some in England. And out of 1000 strong Albanian sample only one was in Albania . So the conclusion was that my distant origin was from North, who knows in what circumstances they ended up in Balkans. If you do the same thing there is extensive deep clade data on line about EV13 to pinpoint your possible origin

Interesting as I assume we have the same last name (most common in Ireland) and I come out as e-v13 per 23andme. Family traces back to Kildare in 1820.

Hello all,

I am a newbie here. My fathers family is from Donegal, Ireland, and I believe we are V-13. Our surname is considered the most common Irish name in Ireland. Most of my Irish friends are R1b, so it was interesting we came up with this Haplogroup or Haplotype.
My post above was in response to this one.

I'm trying to trace my wife's Smith ancestors. The earliest is Lewis Morrison Smith b. 1810 Missouri. From a descendant who took the FTDNA yDNA test, the haplotype is E-M35. The results are posted in the Smith DNA Project but there are no matches in spite of numerous E-35 individuals. I don't see your family so I'm hoping that you haven't submitted results to that project.
The markers are: 13 25 13 11 16-18 11 12 12 14 10 32 15 9-9 11 11 26 14 20 33 16-16-17-17 9 10 19-21 16 12 17 18 31-32 11 10
Are you a match? Here's hoping you are
Tim

I have recently discovered I am E-M35/E-V13. My great grandfather was Illegitimate ad his Biological family name is actually Goode. I have been able to rack I back to Southern England 1200. I am curious about the origins of E-V13 for. Of Course Goode is most likely an Anglicized name and who knows if I can trace that back further, especially since I am American.

Try getting in the E-M35 group there are bout 7k people in there.

I'm trying to trace my wife's Smith ancestors. The earliest is Lewis Morrison Smith b. 1810 Missouri. From a descendant who took the FTDNA yDNA test, the haplotype is E

Try joining Group E-M35 there are 7 people I that group, may have better luck finding matches

If you did Ftdna Y-67 you should know more than E-M35, of which EV13 is a clade of. You need to check which clade of EV13 before saying whether it would have been illyrian or whatever, etc.
I did the Big Y700 and am confirmed E-V13, CTS5856,BY3880,Z5018,S2979, BY6125 Terminal SNP in Southern England. My understanding is S2979 is considered modern Kosovo. I really don't have an Idea of how that translates to Illyrian, Thracian or any other Cultures 2000-4800 years ago. But it is interesting to note the timing seems to support the theory of Roman Movement into England

This thread has been viewed 49862 times.

Back