mtDNA H16b Haplogroup

Update from me:
Many matches using the Ancestry.com tool for people who have Buckner and Seale in Virginia and the Carolinas. I have found quite a few Dutch names in the mix, and when I use gedmatch to seek out those DNA piece coming from my paternal grandmother, there seems to be English and Dutch clusters. Again, because maternal line names change each generation, it's very hard to trace with certainty.
Would someone let me know about BLAST? Also is there anyone using Gedmatch? If my grandmother is H16b, and people on this thread are H16 and H16b, I would think that it is possible to track down shared DNA segments.

I a curious as to how the science interprets the term Anglo-Saxon, since Anglia and Saxony are both regions of the mainland. I have read in Oppenheimer(2006?) that the Anglo-Saxon "invasion" left a limited DNA imprint on the English, less that 10%, and that the Scandinavian DNA footprint is much wider. Of course, the research Oppenheimer drew on was more than ten years old, and so much has happened since then.

One study I read recently indicated that the British Isles have received a steady stream of newcomers from the mainland in the past thousand years, and that the *average* Englishperson is less that 50% British. Oppenheimer argued that the British Isles were strongly populated from Denmark and Norway before the Roman invasions, and that the roots of the English language go back before the Anglo-Saxon modifications and additions.

One final question, some of you have written about the location in the genome of the H16b-specific strands. Is anyone able to tell me which chromosomes might be involved in either the mitochondial protein-making, or in the autosomal DNA that could have travelled along with it?
Thanks in advance,
Joan in Canada

Dear Sandlapper and Flamestich:

"The family names in VA are Blake, Cornwell, Buckner, Seale, Bristow, and Nichols."

Hello! I am so excited to hear that you found so many matches with those names. I didn't test through Ancestry, so I've never been able to search there. I'm on GEDmatch too.

Last edited:
I would like to do a comparison on gedmatch. Of course the shared ancestry of your Virginia ancestors and mine from France may show up in the autosomal. Would it be possible to have your Gedmatch ID? Mine is A803492 and my email address is castalia at rogers dot com.

Hi there! I have just found this site and registered to join as I too am H16b! I received my results from Family Tree DNA a couple of years age, but found everything so complicated to interpret! Every now and again I come back to it and today I realised that my maternal DNA is quite rare! So, here I am. I live in Australia and 98% British apparently :)

This thread has been viewed 22331 times.

Back